Do Not Sell My Personal Information

weird smell when starting cold

cornacum

Greetings,

Since I bought my MK3 2014 1.6 TDCI Focus I have noticed a weird dry diesel smell when I start my car, and it lasts until the engine warms up. Is this a problem I should worry about or is this normal occurrence with this model?

Many Thanks

8 hours ago, cornacum said:

Greetings,

Since I bought my MK3 2014 1.6 TDCI Focus I have noticed a weird dry diesel smell when I start my car, and it lasts until the engine warms up. Is this a problem I should worry about or is this normal occurrence with this model?

Many Thanks

In the cabin or from outside?

Have you checked there isn't any diesel spilled around the filter whenever it was last changed?

6 hours ago, Albert27 said:

In the cabin or from outside?

Definitively on the outside. It is very obvious if you stay anywhere around the vehicle when the engine is starts from cold.

The car is 2014 TDCI, 50k on the clock. 40k was done by previous owner who was lady, in the city...  I have asked people around, they are coming up with "exhaust leaks", "dpf", "egr" etc. There are no warning lights on the dash, and I believe 50k is relatively low mileage to have problems with DPF, - uless I am wrong??

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Have you checked there isn't any diesel spilled around the filter whenever it was last changed?

I did and everything is dry around the filter. The only place I have noticed a "leak" was from the pipe on the left which leads from intercooler towards the rear of the engine. The leak is where a pipe is clipped onto some sort of housing. See pic.

pic1.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic2.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi did you sort the smell out on your focus, cheers.

On 3/24/2018 at 3:25 PM, cornacum said:

Definitively on the outside. It is very obvious if you stay anywhere around the vehicle when the engine is starts from cold.

The car is 2014 TDCI, 50k on the clock. 40k was done by previous owner who was lady, in the city...  I have asked people around, they are coming up with "exhaust leaks", "dpf", "egr" etc. There are no warning lights on the dash, and I believe 50k is relatively low mileage to have problems with DPF, - uless I am wrong??

I did and everything is dry around the filter. The only place I have noticed a "leak" was from the pipe on the left which leads from intercooler towards the rear of the engine. The leak is where a pipe is clipped onto some sort of housing. See pic.

pic1.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic2.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club