Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK8 headlight removal and bulbs change

Boosteri

Beside the guide in owner manual, has anybody seen any guide for mk8 headlight removal and bulbs change?

I was trying to change low beam bulb(H7) to projector headlight, and run in couple problems. Of course i forget to take any picture, so bare with me

- Method of removal of the headlight assembly in owner manual doesn't work, or i don't understand that correctly. Front mount is stuck below the black fender cover.

- I can't get bulb holder to twist. According to manual it should open by turning anticlock wise, is there some kind of locking mechanism, because it feel like the whole light ficture twist with holder.

Buld change done without removing the headlight assembly. Bulb holder was probably just too cold, because after a drive it came loose and twisted ok. Shame that Osram CoolBlue is still too warm color temp compared to dlr leds

On 3/24/2018 at 8:29 PM, Boosteri said:

Beside the guide in owner manual, has anybody seen any guide for mk8 headlight removal and bulbs change?

I was trying to change low beam bulb(H7) to projector headlight, and run in couple problems. Of course i forget to take any picture, so bare with me

- Method of removal of the headlight assembly in owner manual doesn't work, or i don't understand that correctly. Front mount is stuck below the black fender cover.

- I can't get bulb holder to twist. According to manual it should open by turning anticlock wise, is there some kind of locking mechanism, because it feel like the whole light ficture twist with holder.

I had exactly the same problem - was attempting to fit a H7 LED from Autobeam a couple of weeks ago, I gave up in the end as I need to remove the headlight and was really struggling.

I was hoping by your thread title you had managed to remove your headlight!

Like you say the owners manual make it sound easy!!

Cheers - Paul.

You need kind of force to get them out. The correct way is to loosen the bolts and the plastic clip. Then apply force in a angle towards the bumper, so it clicks out of this thing:

E249609_EUR.JPG

• Like 1

Just now, Lakeman_pro said:

You need kind of force to get them out. The correct way is to loosen the boltst and the plastic clip. Then apply force in a angle towards the bumper, so it clicks out of this thing:

E249609_EUR.JPG

Thanks for that Jesper - will give it another go.

Cheers - Paul.

Nice thank you for the info. Have to give it a try. I am wondering how the front mount can clear the plastic part of bumber that is over the front mount?

• 5 months later...
On 3/29/2018 at 4:14 PM, Boosteri said:

Nice thank you for the info. Have to give it a try. I am wondering how the front mount can clear the plastic part of bumber that is over the front mount?

anyone have any luck with this as i tired to get mine out today and they wont budge ?

4 hours ago, jakephillips05 said:

anyone have any luck with this as i tired to get mine out today and they wont budge ?

Have had my headlights removed twice now (don't ask!) and once you have done it they are really straightforward.

The plastic panel (between the headlights) where there are 4 - 6 screws, I wedged a screwdriver handle under the ends towards the headlights to lift it clear around 1" high.

This enables more movement on the headlight. I just lifted and twisted towards the engine and they pop straight out.

Before I re-fitted the headlight I smeared some silicone grease on the plastic stub that locks it in place - removing them 2nd time was very easy.

Must admit the first one I removed took ages - you have to be a little rough with it and it will come out!!

Once you have the 'knack' you'll wonder why struggled in the first case.

Good luck - Paul.

I replaced my bulbs a couple of days ago,

Found removing the two screws and the push in fitting, then lifting the headlight up, twisting the rear towards the engine it come straight out. You do have to use some force though.

Refitting the light was trickier, but as above once you get the knack of doing it its pretty straightforward.

• 8 months later...

I had the same problem, it was my drivers side that was really tight, but I managed to change the bulbs but now the drivers side light is not working right and it shines really bright but is really close 

Very easy to do after you’ve done it once.

Undo the 2 screws, pull out the 1 popper, unplug wiring, remove the foam part above/behind the headlight and the give the light a firm pull up at an angle. When installing back in the main thing to focus on is locating the ball locator pin into the correct area (photo above) before pushing in. 

• 2 years later...

The very design of the location pin that is causing all of the removal / refit problems above is one that is so bad that it should never have appeared on a drawing board! 

Check out some videos on YouTube for guidance. 

It is so tight that without the Youtube videos, I would have had to take the car to a garage to get the job finished! 

I am not weak and I use the gym four times a week, but I lack the physical strength to remove the headlights on my Fiesta! 

I had to check several times including how to get the headlight back into the car. 

As a result of the confidence that I gained from the Youtube videos, I hit the headlight with all my strength with the base of my hand and it popped out. 

I then filed down the nipple at the end of the location pin so that it was thinner and I added some grease. 

This certainly helped when getting the headlight back in but it was certainly not easy. 

This is a complex jigsaw puzzle with only one piece and it is one hell of a tight fit. 

I have come across this location pin design before. It is utterly ridiculous! 

This is yet another example of where a problem has been previously been solved by people with judgement, the solution is then implemented to the benefit of countless other people. 

Then the whole thing is abandoned and replaced with something that is worse than any previous design.

This is the worse design of location pin that I have ever encountered in 40 years of working on cars. 

As you can see from the link below, it is not unusual for people to break the headlight when they try to remove it. 

Please note that the second installation video from Autobeam is a complete fantasy when it comes to removing the headlight. 

What takes the chap demonstrating a couple of seconds to achieve was utterly impossible to do on my Mk8 Fiesta without extreme violent force. 

I actually reconciled myself to the idea that I might actually break the headlight in trying to remove it and that I might have to buy a new headlight as a result.  

I got lucky and I did not break the headlight in my attempt to remove it but reducing the diameter of the absurd location pin by filing down the width was an immediate no-brainer. 

NB: The location pin is only an alignment aid. It does not actually hold the headlight in place. This is achieved via two simple screws and a plug much as have been used to fit headlights for over 40 years. 

NB: If you are thinking of buying from Autobeam, fully check out the customer feedback on the internet first. 

I posted my experiences of this just a couple of days ago-

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/129890-changing-headlight-bulbs/

Agreed, the design is terrible. But at least I discovered that you can, just, replace the bulbs without taking the damn thing out!

You don' t have to remove the headlamp to change a bulb and as others have found, once you learn how, the unit comes out without damage and goes back in likewise Paul, so it isn't that bad 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club