Do Not Sell My Personal Information

buying used mk5 mondeo + headlights

dhr90

I'm thinking of buying a used mondeo in 1.5t petrol titanium spec. I've got a couple of questions though...

Firstly, just how bad are the standard headlights (non LED's)? I've read a fair few poor comments which is a bit off putting given the money they cost and how new they are, would hope they would be better than my poor headlights currently.

Secondly, I can't work out why one or two models I've seen photos of have the headlight level adjust dial that is built into the switch missing? Some seem to be like this, with an inner dial but others are like this where there is no manual height adjustment? Is it just automated? Or completely missing? I have just noticed the one I'm looking at may have the LED lamp units, at least it looks like that design, its a 15 plate if that makes any difference?

Is there a way of putting the car reg into a website and getting an accurate spec list? Don't want to travel all that way and be disappointed by misleading photos, or indeed a confused or less than honest dealer. Many of the spec lists seem to be wrong or just generic (lists cloth seats, photo and description shows leather seats for instance)

Many thanks! Have driven one and the ride was so smooth and comfortable, very quiet, it was just what I'm after, but that car had too low a spec, can I assume the heated black leather seats are just as comfortable as the cloth? Guessing the 17's on the car I'm looking at will be slightly less comfortable than the 16's?

Many thanks for any replies! Really desperate for a reliable car to replace the money pit of a Rover 75 that is currently unable to move :( 

I'm by no means an expert on the Mk5 (they sure are pretty, though!), but of all the ones I've seen on the road the headlights seem uniformly decent across multiple trims. 

This may be a long-winded way around it, but the best I can come up with is to put your reg into an auto parts website that will give you the specific trim level. From there, you can usually find full spec sheets for each trim which you can then compare with the pictures. I do know that the Mk3 can be a pig to identify as the trims differ hugely, not to mention facelifts. For example, I bought a single din adapter for my '03 LX, only to discover the console is one single piece and the stereo surround can't be removed. Now I have an '05 ST, and that same adapter goes right in. To coin a phrase: dafuq? 

Best of luck to you. Fingers crossed for ya

Oh, and the seats are every bit as comfortable as the cloth ones. Again, had cloth in my LX and half leather heated seats in my ST, and they're so much nicer on your bum. The Mk3 and Mk4 had some issues with the heated seats being a bit temperamental in certain trims, but I've heard of no such thing affecting the Mk5. 

As a general rule, I'm told that larger alloys stiffens the ride. It makes sense, but I'm sure that with nice, new, modern shocks, you should be fine. After all, while there's less bounce in the tyres, the shocks are still there to absorb much of the force like they're supposed to. And if they're rolling out of the factory already on 17s, they can't be that awful! 

Edited by Gilgamesh
Brain *****

@dhr90 It's only the 2015/16 models with the DRL's in the headlights that are poorish, the  other models are all good.

If there is no headlamp adjuster then the car has xenon or LED headlights. Which are very good

seats are good what ever the model.

To get the spec as built use Ford Etis,you'll need to register must as your a independent mechanic it's free:wink:

the ride on 17" is fine it's only when you get to the bigger sizes you really notice the difference.

• Like 1

On 26/03/2018 at 8:15 AM, pragmatix said:

@dhr90 It's only the 2015/16 models with the DRL's in the headlights that are poorish, the  other models are all good.

If there is no headlamp adjuster then the car has xenon or LED headlights. Which are very good

seats are good what ever the model.

To get the spec as built use Ford Etis,you'll need to register must as your a independent mechanic it's free:wink:

the ride on 17" is fine it's only when you get to the bigger sizes you really notice the difference.

I 100% agree with the above.  17's still ride well and the LED headlights are incredible (even compared to decent halogens).

Thanks all! got the dealer to confirm it with a video. Have a deposit on the car and going to view tomorrow. Ruby red is such a good colour!! Is there anything I should look out for especially with the Mondeo? 

Can I take it the headlights are fully LED, no bulbs at all? Can the auto hi beam/ cornering lights and adaptive part of the LED's be turned off to act like a normal pair of lights with dipped and main beam?

It seems to have the X-pack which I believe has keyless entry? Can this be turned off so that you have to press a button on the remote? 

It has 2 usb ports I believe, so two devices can be plugged in and switched between? Can I control an ipod/phone from the steering wheel? Can it play DVD's? If it has the 3 RCA ports, can it play movies on the screen (while stationary of course) via that? Probably a function I'll never need, but would be nice to know.

@dhr90 I don't know why you would want the LED lights to just be normal you'll miss what the are good at, the speed sensitive bit is very impressive. Again why turn of the keyless entry it's a safe as any other way, if someone wants your car they will get it, apparently keyless has seen a 7% reduction in car thefts if you use the key fob button the transmitted signal is longer and easier to interrupt.

yes you can have two  usbs in and yes the steering wheel controls can be used to select as to the video I don't know.

Thanks. Took it out today, seats are far too bucketed for me, felt like the sides of my ribs were in constant pain so the Mondeo is out, shame as it was otherwise a great car. 

9 hours ago, dhr90 said:

Thanks. Took it out today, seats are far too bucketed for me, felt like the sides of my ribs were in constant pain so the Mondeo is out, shame as it was otherwise a great car. 

It sounds like the car you tried had the sports seats, yes they are snug but I've never had a problem with them and I'm not small 17.5 stone 48 inch chest, as you like the rest of the car why not try one without sports seats?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club