Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TDCI Exahust system! help !

jimmyboiii

Hi everyone this is my first post, i am new to this sorta thing :)

the problem i am having at the minute, i have a ford focus 1.6tdci 2007 model, and i have just had a mild steel exhaust built on my car, from the middle box to the back, to increase the sound..... but, i realised it wouldnt sound much different, it has a grunty sound now, which to me sounds like a tractor =/ so im having a smaller back box cut in on saturday, to drown out the tractor noise lol, but on my way down the M6 to get my exhaust fitted my car had power, but on the way back with the middle box removed and the exhaust fitted, it didnt feel the same, i put my foot down and it wasnt very good around 60mph onwards??? i couldnt feel the turbo as much as before? anybody have any idea what this could be? ? ? ?

Hi everyone this is my first post, i am new to this sorta thing smile.gif

the problem i am having at the minute, i have a ford focus 1.6tdci 2007 model, and i have just had a mild steel exhaust built on my car, from the middle box to the back, to increase the sound..... but, i realised it wouldnt sound much different, it has a grunty sound now, which to me sounds like a tractor =/ so im having a smaller back box cut in on saturday, to drown out the tractor noise lol, but on my way down the M6 to get my exhaust fitted my car had power, but on the way back with the middle box removed and the exhaust fitted, it didnt feel the same, i put my foot down and it wasnt very good around 60mph onwards??? i couldnt feel the turbo as much as before? anybody have any idea what this could be? ? ? ?

diesels will sound bad with these exhausts a full system is what you need but they are expensive im no expert but im assuming theres too much back pressure exhausts are more complex than they look stick the original back on

diesels will sound bad with these exhausts a full system is what you need but they are expensive im no expert but im assuming theres too much back pressure exhausts are more complex than they look stick the original back on

the blokes who did my new exhaust for me took my old back box and "miss placed it" =/ so they have told me go back on the saturday to have a smaller back box installed, to stop the noise and give it a better sound, i dont no if there just blaggin me for more cash or they dont no wah there doing??? just hope i can get the power back to normal, as it was a nice nippy car before i messed about with the exhaust :( now it feels like it hasnt got a turbo. if anybody on here knows anythin about turbos and exhausts i would appreciate the info on what might of happened to my car?

thanks

the blokes who did my new exhaust for me took my old back box and "miss placed it" =/ so they have told me go back on the saturday to have a smaller back box installed, to stop the noise and give it a better sound, i dont no if there just blaggin me for more cash or they dont no wah there doing??? just hope i can get the power back to normal, as it was a nice nippy car before i messed about with the exhaust sad.gif now it feels like it hasnt got a turbo. if anybody on here knows anythin about turbos and exhausts i would appreciate the info on what might of happened to my car?

thanks

A turbocharger ("hair-dryer" to gearheads) is powered by spent exhaust gases, which are used to spin a paddle-wheel-like part called an impeller. The impeller is connected on a shaft to the turbine, which has vanes on it (picture a paddle wheel and you'll get the idea) to compress the incoming air, thereby creating boost, or pressurized induction. A wastegate is built into The system to prevent over-pressurization by

turbo1.jpg

Basic Turbocharged engine diagram.

venting the exhaust gases away from the impeller. Usually, the turbocharger will be lubricated by pressurized oil--critically important as the impeller/turbine assembly can spin at speeds in excess of 100,000 rotations per minute (RPM).so as i said removing that middle box has changed the characteristics of the exhaust and the amount of compression in it youre blowing more gasses out of the exhaust at a higher rate which is where the increased noise comes from taking the gas needed to run the turbo away a smaller exhaust will help but ide have it back to normal if it was me these exhausts and turbos are paired together tested to run the way they are meant to

great diagram! thanks for that, the only problem i have got is the blokes havent got my original back box, so they say they will put me a back box on that is similar to my old 1, but it will sound better??? i just gotta hope that this will solve the powerloss problem, i will post back on saturday after the installation of the new back box, but if the power hasnt come back i dont really no what else to do?? apart from buy an original backbox which will be spending more money that i didnt need to ... ahh gd times =/ lol

great diagram! thanks for that, the only problem i have got is the blokes havent got my original back box, so they say they will put me a back box on that is similar to my old 1, but it will sound better??? i just gotta hope that this will solve the powerloss problem, i will post back on saturday after the installation of the new back box, but if the power hasnt come back i dont really no what else to do?? apart from buy an original backbox which will be spending more money that i didnt need to ... ahh gd times =/ lol

sadly there are more companies out there who will fit it but have no idea how it will effect the car proven systems from companies like mongoose etc are a better choice as they have been tested on the car they were designed for i would imagine if its similar then it shoulkd sort it out if not it may be worth removing the battery for a bit to clear the ecu that will reset it and see if the power returns just make sure you have youre radio codes etc then drive for a good 30 minutes or so at different speeds some stop start some town driving and some faster driving

the blokes who fitted my exhuast are supposed to be top notch, they do custom exhaust, airfilters and ecu remmapping, the works they have told me the problem i am having is there isnt enough back pressure in my exhaust due to them removing the back box, but i didnt no diesels have back pressure like a petrol engine??? but i maybe wrong? but if anyone knows bout backpressure on diesel engines, id appreciate the info. the back box that they are refitting on my car is similiar they say but wont be as big to give a better sound, so after saturday i shall find out if the power is back to normal.

the blokes who fitted my exhuast are supposed to be top notch, they do custom exhaust, airfilters and ecu remmapping, the works they have told me the problem i am having is there isnt enough back pressure in my exhaust due to them removing the back box, but i didnt no diesels have back pressure like a petrol engine??? but i maybe wrong? but if anyone knows bout backpressure on diesel engines, id appreciate the info. the back box that they are refitting on my car is similiar they say but wont be as big to give a better sound, so after saturday i shall find out if the po

all cars have back pressure diesel or not Back pressure usually refers to the pressure exerted on a moving fluid by obstructions or tight bends in the confinement vessel along which it is moving, such as piping or air vents, against its direction of flow. For example, an automotive exhaust muffler with a particularly high number of twists, bends, turns and right angles could be described as having particularly high back pressure [1]. Back pressure, in the exhaust sense of the term, of a four-stroke engine is usually termed as being a "bad thing" for performance; however, in the interest of reducing exhaust sound to levels allowable by public noise ordinances, back pressure can be regulated using systems from simple butterfly valves to fully computer controlled units sensing pressure in the exhaust pipe itself.

In a two-stroke engine however, a certain amount of exhaust backpressure is needed to prevent unburned fuel/air mixture passing right through the cylinders into the exhaust. in youre case the measuring of the gas to run the turbo ids determined by the computer but the exhaust is venting too much too fast not leaving enough to spool the turbo

thanks everyone going have my back box reinstalled at 2 this afternoon, so will post later to let everyone know if its worked or not lol

back box is now on! car feels much better now, turbo kik is back, the garage has put me a performance box in, it sounds bob on! :) everything ok now thanks for every1s advice :)

• 10 months later...

back box is now on! car feels much better now, turbo kik is back, the garage has put me a performance box in, it sounds bob on! :) everything ok now thanks for every1s advice :)

hi i'm new to this, i also have a 1.6 tdci focus and was wondering how to get that 'tractor' sound which u got in the start? thanks :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club