Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grand C-Max engine/gear box mismatch

Richard Woods

I have not found so far anyone else on this topic but I do find the six speed box is a bit optimistic for the 1 lite ecoboost engine. Don't get me wrong, this a fine and very practical car but with a moderate holiday load on motorways top gear is way too high for such a low torque engine. I have to run in fifth virtually all the time. And then, on steeper mountain roads the engine is again a bit weak on torque, needing low gears a lot of the time. In fact on the Spanish Sierras third proved pretty good for 35-45 cruising on tight two lane mountain roads. But there was never any way of using a higher gear. 

In terms of economy in 2,000 miles on Spanish roads, mixed this tear we got 37 mph real which was not too bad (mind you I switched from diesel so it is taking time to get used to that sort of consumption!). On that note by the way I have allowed for petrol versus diesel in my top comments - its NOT the engines really - just too many gears way too high ratio.

The reviews of this car engine combination did say it underpowered if you had load or used it out of town, I went for the 1.5 tdci as I spend a lot of time on A roads