Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front & Rear Dashcam Install Guide (+ Pictures) - [2016 Ford Edge]

Trent Edge

1 minute ago, AjM said:

Same one you used, pre collision assist, front camera etc.  Not what the book says it is...  I found that not one fuse corresponded to the book, ones that were spare were in use and vice versa etc

Ohhhh, that's strange. I think mine were all relatively correct, however I might be wrong. My Edge was registered Sep 2016 so a slightly older one whether that makes any difference.

Not sure if it's similar to this one...

Maybe, it says in the book that fuse 36 15a (which is right) heated seat and rear view mirror.  However when I pulled it out, pre collision assist and front camera error came on dash.  I have checked all the fuses in that passenger fuse box and they are all fine.

Everything still dead.  I looked at that but that one has no power at all,  Mine has interior lights and pumps etc all powered.

Sounds stupid, but, have you tried it again since?

All fixed.  Took the AA man 2 hours.  So in the engine bay, under the main fuse box there is a plastic flap.  Lift that up and there are 6 main fuses.  A 50amp ignition fuse had blown.  But they are riveted in, so we had to drill it out and bolt a new fuse in.  All in everything working except the dash cam which I will have to start from scratch again tomorrow.  Not sure if I want to touch the fuse box again....!!!.

Wow, can't see that being linked to the cam install. Anyhow, good that it's sorted

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2018 at 9:28 PM, AjM said:

All fixed.  Took the AA man 2 hours.  So in the engine bay, under the main fuse box there is a plastic flap.  Lift that up and there are 6 main fuses.  A 50amp ignition fuse had blown.  But they are riveted in, so we had to drill it out and bolt a new fuse in.  All in everything working except the dash cam which I will have to start from scratch again tomorrow.  Not sure if I want to touch the fuse box again....!!!.

Have you given it another go yet?

On 11/26/2018 at 8:38 PM, AjM said:

Yes and it has all been fine.  Boot is still playing up but that is another issue!

Good to hear... apart from the boot!

• 2 months later...

Was given a BlackVue 750s 2 channel dashcam for Christmas and eventually found time today to start the fit, following the guide in this thread from @Trent Edge.  The camera came bundled with a Power Magic Pro, which allows it to be used whilst parked too, whilst also fully switches it off if the battery voltage goes below a certain threshold. I used the same 2 fuses for my taps as per the guide, though I found that partially taking out the glovebox made access for feeding wires so much easier.  No tools required to drop the glovebox, you just push the support arm on the left side out of its little notch, then flick the two rubberised tabs at the inner top edge of the box and it tilts forward so you can see behind. I also found an easier accessible earthing point, just to the right behind the glovebox (8mm bolt). The front camera is now fitted but due to a lack of light I haven’t got round to fitting the rear camera yet. I’ll hopefully get that done on Sunday.  So far so good. Thanks Trent Edge, I’m looking forward to feeding wires through various places on Sunday. 😜

11 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

Was given a BlackVue 750s 2 channel dashcam for Christmas and eventually found time today to start the fit, following the guide in this thread from @Trent Edge.  The camera came bundled with a Power Magic Pro, which allows it to be used whilst parked too, whilst also fully switches it off if the battery voltage goes below a certain threshold. I used the same 2 fuses for my taps as per the guide, though I found that partially taking out the glovebox made access for feeding wires so much easier.  No tools required to drop the glovebox, you just push the support arm on the left side out of its little notch, then flick the two rubberised tabs at the inner top edge of the box and it tilts forward so you can see behind. I also found an easier accessible earthing point, just to the right behind the glovebox (8mm bolt). The front camera is now fitted but due to a lack of light I haven’t got round to fitting the rear camera yet. I’ll hopefully get that done on Sunday.  So far so good. Thanks Trent Edge, I’m looking forward to feeding wires through various places on Sunday. 😜

Sounds good! 🙂

• 9 months later...

Excellent and very useful write-up.  Special thanks to Trent Edge for pointing out that the piggyback links need trimming.  I did struggle for a while wondering why they wouldn't go in before recalling your comment.  There's a heavy iron square section under the glove box door with a couple of small nylock nuts on.  I used one of these for my ground wire.  Easier to get to than the fuse box fixing bolt 

Thanks! No problem, yeh that nut wasn't easy to get to, prob should have had a better look around. Got there in the end anyway.

Dash cam is still in the car and working. Thinkware let out an update not long back which corrected the voltage sensor in the dash cam. Therefore managed to completely drain my battery over 2 days. Got a jump start and drove 200 miles home and has been as good as before since then.

I followed @Trent Edge’s instructions and successfully fitted my BlackVue two camera system and it has worked faultlessly since. I forget it’s there now. It just does it’s thing. 

2 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

BlackVue two camera system

Which model do you have and do you need to subscribe to get remote access to it? Is it powered from its own battery pack or tapped into the car fuse box?

Never really considered a camera, but some of the idiots I've had encounters with over the last 6 months are really making me consider fitting something!

10 hours ago, simonb65 said:

Which model do you have and do you need to subscribe to get remote access to it? Is it powered from its own battery pack or tapped into the car fuse box?

Never really considered a camera, but some of the idiots I've had encounters with over the last 6 months are really making me consider fitting something!

I fitted one of these to mine

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01F5C950I/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

I've fitted these in 5 other cars with no issues.  Full HD, simple connection to an aux power source or cigar lighter point.  They use a micro SD card that can easily be removed for transfer to PC if a particular capture needs to be retained.  It also has a button that saves video segments if you need to make sure a certain capture is not overwritten

• Like 1

12 hours ago, simonb65 said:

It’s a BlackVue DR750S dual camera model. It is tapped into the fuse box but I have a battery saver so it cuts off if the battery power reaches a preset level. No need to subscribe, but to view the real time footage, the person driving had to have their phone connected to the Camera’s WiFi. It’s generally only me who drives my car so I don’t really have the need for this feature. I use an app on my iPhone and can view footage in my house whilst the car is out on the drive and can download to my phone if required or can do this seated in the car. There is no need to take the memory card out to view on a computer though I can if I wish. The camera can be removed in seconds if desired. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I have my camera fitted,cable in place,,,,,, but I just cannot get piggyback  fuse to push in,I can take normal fise out and back in but can I check get the piggyback  one to push in,,,,,doing my head in 😡

7 minutes ago, Glenny said:

I have my camera fitted,cable in place,,,,,, but I just cannot get piggyback  fuse to push in,I can take normal fise out and back in but can I check get the piggyback  one to push in,,,,,doing my head in 😡

This is mentioned above.  The piggyback has some plastic guide strips that need to be knifed off.  When you examine the piggyback and the fuse that it is replacing you'll see what needs to be removed

• 1 year later...

CONCERN!!!

I thank you for the post, but... The photo under the heading  "(3) Rear Camera Mounting and Cable Routing"    shows the rear camera cable impeding the airbag on the driver's side "A" pillar.  A different route should be used to address this issue. 

On 9/28/2021 at 11:51 PM, EDGE15 said:

CONCERN!!!

I thank you for the post, but... The photo under the heading  "(3) Rear Camera Mounting and Cable Routing"    shows the rear camera cable impeding the airbag on the driver's side "A" pillar.  A different route should be used to address this issue. 

The first sentence in my original post addresses this 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 10 months later...

Hello all.  Just joined the forum from the States and this thread looked to be an absolutely brilliant walk through the process to install front and rear dashcams. Unfortunately the pics are not showing up.  Can they be reposted?  Looking to do the same to my 2017 Edge Sport.  Thanks!!!

1 hour ago, Alex B said:

Hello all.  Just joined the forum from the States and this thread looked to be an absolutely brilliant walk through the process to install front and rear dashcams. Unfortunately the pics are not showing up.  Can they be reposted?  Looking to do the same to my 2017 Edge Sport.  Thanks!!!

The photo's show for me, I wonder whether the photo hosting site is blocked by the US

Can also confirm that the pictures are still there and can be viewed.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club