Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Paint bubbles - rear offside wheel arch

oweri02

Hello all...

I've bought a Fiesta Zetec S, delivered at the end of September, and 2 weeks later I found paint bubbles on the rear offside wheel arch. Ford state "we have the right to repair" but the sale of goods act says "satisfactory quality"...

Taken to a nearer dealer than that which it was bought, who said there was a great big gash that could only have been caused during manufacture, and someone "blagged" the delivery... outrageous! Wait till you see the photos!

I would be extremely grateful to any to reply saying they would expect a replacement if they would accept a repair, or whether (like I hope most will) they would demand of the dealer, under the sale of goods act, the dealer should replace!

Thanks all

Oweri02.

P.S. Who can tell me how to put my own personal photos in here?

Best way is to make a Photobucket account (its free) From there you can upload photos to your account then get image codes to put them onto forums like this one

Its a very easy to use site :rolleyes:

Perfect! Thanks...

Here goes then... This is what was seen on the rear offside wheel arch after about 2 weeks of ownership

Picture036.jpg

This is what a dealer's body-shop found when they investigated

Picture411.jpg

Or a little closer

Picture412.jpg

So Ford Owners, would you accept a repair? Or would you demand your rights under the sale of goods act for "Satisfactory Quality"? One wonders how many other gashes this able bodied fitter managed to kill... or other cars...

Seriously, I would appreciate any comments those viewing this thread could give.

i would get the repair, see how that turns out and if your still not happy then go further.

iv been having problems with mine (not paint work) and have just accept and repairs until they cant take it any further

Hello all...

I've bought a Fiesta Zetec S, delivered at the end of September, and 2 weeks later I found paint bubbles on the rear offside wheel arch. Ford state "we have the right to repair" but the sale of goods act says "satisfactory quality"...

Hi there,

If I was you then I would want a replacement.

You bought a new car and this is what you should rightly expect. Not a damaged and repaired car.

Any fix on the car will likely be sub standard when compared to a new car

Being the bodywork you may find that any repair will only last so long, before you have either the same problem come back in a few months or some rust and corrosion in a few years.

My advise would be to google "Sale of Goods Act" and learn as much as you can so you know where you stand and what your rights are. Go to the CAB if you need any points clarifying.

I have a feeling that under the Act, it is the decision of the retailer whether to repair or replace, depending on what is cheapest. But as I say, you must do lots of research and you must do it as soon as possable as there may be time limits on this

Out of interest do they want to fix the panel or put a new one on?

If you accept a repair ask them if it will be guaranteed and how long for (make sure it is guaranteed for as long as you have the car, and get the guarantee in writing) Also enquire if this affects Fords corrosion warranty

i would get the repair, see how that turns out and if your still not happy then go further.

iv been having problems with mine (not paint work) and have just accept and repairs until they cant take it any further

How is the whole situation with your car at the minute? You still in the 207?

I would go down the replacement route.

Although it would be near invisible once repaired, nothing worse than knowing it has been there, especially on a new car!

How is the whole situation with your car at the minute? You still in the 207?

driving the fiesta again at the moment while i wait for the new wiring loom to come in, then back to a 207 for 3 days :lol:

Hi there,

If I was you then I would want a replacement.

You bought a new car and this is what you should rightly expect. Not a damaged and repaired car.

Any fix on the car will likely be sub standard when compared to a new car

Being the bodywork you may find that any repair will only last so long, before you have either the same problem come back in a few months or some rust and corrosion in a few years.

My advise would be to google "Sale of Goods Act" and learn as much as you can so you know where you stand and what your rights are. Go to the CAB if you need any points clarifying.

I have a feeling that under the Act, it is the decision of the retailer whether to repair or replace, depending on what is cheapest. But as I say, you must do lots of research and you must do it as soon as possable as there may be time limits on this

Out of interest do they want to fix the panel or put a new one on?

If you accept a repair ask them if it will be guaranteed and how long for (make sure it is guaranteed for as long as you have the car, and get the guarantee in writing) Also enquire if this affects Fords corrosion warranty

Thanks for that. I have already looked at the Sale-of-goods-act, and got the "satisfactory quality", but Ford are insisting that "their policy is they have the right to repair any manufacturing defects"... I have also looked at Credit Card Section 75 (check that out in google, just make sure whatever you buy, you pay at least £100 on a credit (not debit) card)...

Basically down to Ford as to whether they want to fight this one out, but obviously they don't want to replace. As to the repair, if they can F*** up a build that badly where you have a gash on the rear O/S/Q, then what about the rest of the car's quality... Where else is it going to break? If they do fix it (dealer reckons replace the o/s/q), when I come to sell it and the buyer gets the RAC to inspect they'll say "ooh it has had a collision", and I'll say "Nooo, that was a mess that Ford Motor Company did in their build that they had to repair the back quarter"... and like that's going to be believed right? So how much worse off is my sale price going to be...

So angry at Ford... why can't people be honest... that car should never have left the factory, and they should do the honest and decent thing and replace it.

This post was just to get an idea if other people would confirm that they are outrageous in saying their right is to repair, and others would expect a replacement also.

Appreciate people's comments thus far

oweri02

Good points oweri. You obviously wont be happy unless you get a replacement. This is more than fair. You should be hell bent on getting one. Get a local solicitor to put this in writing for you, shouldn't cost too much.

GL

Good points oweri. You obviously wont be happy unless you get a replacement. This is more than fair. You should be hell bent on getting one. Get a local solicitor to put this in writing for you, shouldn't cost too much.

GL

hi

i ordered a 1.4 titanium last july and when i received it, it was raining so i checked it over when it became dry over the weekend, i noticed a paint drip off the edge of the bonnet and the laquer was rough and a dent by the aerial in the metal and a few rough spots in the paint , when took to dealers to look at they said it wont be done by fords as it is up to the dealership to take responsability, so it went out of town to their body shop for a couple of weeks, they said after me enquireing what was happening it was still at bodyshop but when i called in to dealers it was in their compound so i rang bodyshop and asked what was happening and they said they were waiting for authorisation to do the work but did not recommend doing it due to paint match, so i approached my dealer saying i would accept the repair within a reasonable time from when they first took it and was not happy that anything was done so i rejected the car and said there are laws in place as a consumer and was checking with consumer direct the dealership said they would build me another to my spec which i picked up on christmas eve if you go on bbc website x ray guide to cars i followed their 3 page guide,

smile.gif

good luck

Thanks all for your comments so far - the more the merrier - it may add sustenance to any claim - http://www.netlawman.co.uk/acts/sale-of-goods-act-1979.php?pageContentID=15578 says (item 14, 2A) " For the purposes of this Act, goods are of satisfactory quality if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking account of any description of the goods, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances."

So I am I guess putting my bet on those that reply as being "reasonable" ;-)

Appreciate your comments

oweri02

I think you need to go the legal route, I am an ex Mercedes Benz sales Manager with 24 years experience and i can tell you now that if that was M benz you would have had a new car. Your soliciter should advise you not to accept a repair as the vehicle you purchased should be of reasonable quailty and a condition that you would expect of a new vehicle.

If the car is on finance then you must inform the finance company who will also act for you, it is in their interest as the vehicle is their asset?

you can also contact the Retail Motor Industry and inform them the way the dealer/Ford is acting.

Good luck.

Personally I would ask them to simply replace the panel then if there are any more problems, take it further!

Thinking about it, to get a new car of "Satisfactory Quality" the new car needs to be a new car. Not a repaired car. So if they sell you a new car that immediatly needs repairing then it can't be a satisfactory new car.

Push for a replacement, use legal help is you need to.

Two things that concern me:

1. There may be a time limit on how long you can have the car before it's too late to declare it as unsatisfactory

2. You may jeopardise your position if you allow them to attempt a repair, because if the repair appears "satisfactory" to an assessor, you may lose any claims you make. As if it's proven that the car is now of satisfactory quality they may have no case to answer

If I was you I would act fast. I would also want to see somebody at the CAB - just to make sure that any actions I took were correct

GL

Personally I would ask them to simply replace the panel then if there are any more problems, take it further!

Thanks for your thoughts - if I accept a repair, then I accept the fault - that is the legal position. So if I accept the repair, I accept them continually repairing... That's why I must get them to replace. I hope this thread has some impact for others in a similar position to me, that were contemplating getting the repair - if more people pushed the dealers to replace, then the dealers would be complaining more to the manufacturers and hopefully we'd all get better quality cars!

oweri02

Thanks for your thoughts - if I accept a repair, then I accept the fault - that is the legal position. So if I accept the repair, I accept them continually repairing... That's why I must get them to replace. I hope this thread has some impact for others in a similar position to me, that were contemplating getting the repair - if more people pushed the dealers to replace, then the dealers would be complaining more to the manufacturers and hopefully we'd all get better quality cars!

oweri02

Agreed

Keep us posted on your progress.

oweri02

For what it's worth, you're absolutely right - your vehicle as supplied wasn't of "merchantable quality" i.e. a reasonable person wouldn't expect paint bubbling like that on a brand new car - this is a major fault. There's no way in which I would have accepted a repair if this had been my car.

Good luck!

I cant believe the picture you posted m8 - for a new car that is a disgrace and Ford should be ashamed at arguing about this. :o

"If I accept a repair, then I accept the fault" I think that is a very valid point and I for one would be furious at having to even consider accepting a soiled car.

Its like Ford are selling you seconds at full price and I would only accept the car if they return a sum of money to reflect the cost buying of damaged goods. :huh:

I can’t believe the picture you posted m8 - for a new car that is a disgrace and Ford should be ashamed at arguing about this. :o

"If I accept a repair, then I accept the fault"” I think that is a very valid point and I for one would be furious at having to even consider accepting a ‘soiled’ car.

Its like Ford are selling you ‘seconds’ at full price and I would only accept the car if they return a sum of money to reflect the cost buying of damaged goods. :huh:

Much thanks - that's the sort of passion I was after ;-) I'm looking forward to providing this "discussion" to the dealership, and Ford Motor Company

thanks

oweri02

I'd push for a replacement too looking at the gash in the panel. If that kind of thing happened at time of manufacture then the panel should've been replaced before the car was released off the production line, not simply patched up, painted and sold!

Downside being is how many other cars have patched up bits.

And as for an RAC check etc on the car in the future, that would only show up any accident damage registered with an insurance company so unless you were claiming through your insurance you have no worries on that front.

Keep us informed of any progress.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

You will all be pleased to know, Ford Motor Company have "done the right thing" a new car was ordered on Tuesday - hoorah!

Thanks all for your help

You will all be pleased to know, Ford Motor Company have "done the right thing" a new car was ordered on Tuesday - hoorah!

Thanks all for your help

Good stuff :D

Exactly what they should be doing.

Wish they would do the same with mine. 3 months still no fix insurance declared invalid and ford sayin nothing woop woop