Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Active city stop - anyone tested?

gillyallan

Only had my focus about 3 weeks now but since I got it I keep thinking I want to get say a huge cardboard box and try driving into it to test it.

Just me? Or has anyone else done it or even been saved by the system genuinely?

Is there anything against trying it like seat belt tensioners or danger of air bags deploying etc ?

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

I didn't intentionally test it, but I have had it go off once.

I came in a bit hot in to my parking space at work (running late obviously) which is against a wall.

I know exactly where to park and how close I can get without hitting it, but the increased speed obviously set it off. It just triggered an ABS type response on the brakes.

Ford always promote it with a cardboard box version of a car. Don't know if I'd trust it to go off when you want it to though...

I wasn't sure if mine was working so I tested it. I tied an old number plate to a pole. Had the other half to hold it out in front of the car with the instruction if I didn't stop pull it out of the way before I hit it. I drove forward down our drive at about 5 mph and it worked. Tried it a second time and it worked again. Result.

Lol. I'm relieved it's not just me that's wanted to test it lol

Yeah I tried it on a zebra crossing...

...turned out I don't have active city stop! :ohmy: :tongue:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I am not familiar with the Active City Stop system but I suspect it is exactly the same as the active braking system now fitted to new coaches.

Basically it detects something too close to the front of the coach as you drive along at any speed over some predetermined threshold and slams on the brakes.

Some drivers have activated it driving too close to the car in front. Bad driving I say.

I have had it coming in when turning on full lock in front of a hedge which is only a foot or two from the bumper. Try this manoeuvre in your car.

ScaniaPBman,

PS a ScaniaPB is a type of coach I used to drive. My current daily drive is a new Van Hool.

i did it on purpose when it came out,  at the ford college it worked nearly every time. lol 

• Like 1

Had it kick in twice, and can say it's pretty effective.

It's made me wonder if say you were driving along at 60-70 on a motorway and likes of a large paper or other light object was blowing around. Is there a potential of it slamming on the anchors ?

The system only operates below about 19 mph, hence the name 'City Stop'

Ahh ok. I thought it was more it'll most probably stop at that speed but at higher it'll help but might not stop in time.

On the MK3.5 it works up to 30mph.

Above that it does nothing.

If you have adaptive cruise control it can use the radar to try and do a similar thing over 30, I forget what it's called, something like collision mitigation. It's not designed to stop you though. It hands back to city stop once you are below 30.

Thanks guys makes sense

I've triggered mine twice. Once coming towards a bush a little too quickly and the other when a taxi decided to turn right as I was coming across the junction. Second time I managed to drive through that and carry on without coming to a stop as the taxi had moved out of my way pretty quickly.

The number of people that ride my bumper behind, I pray it kicks in one day as much as I don't want my car ruined it might teach them a lesson.

• Like 1

Mine has operated a few times, mainly on a fast approach towards my garage doors. The first time it operated was at my Mum's house approaching the garage door, she has a gravel / pebble drive so the car skidded before the ABS kicked in, it was a bit of a toe curler but luckily the car stopped a few millimetres from the door. I thought there was something wrong with the car, it was only when I read the manual that I realised what had happened. :blush:

On 29/03/2018 at 8:35 AM, DJ_Andy_M said:

The number of people that ride my bumper behind, I pray it kicks in one day as much as I don't want my car ruined it might teach them a lesson

Keeping your foot on the throttle pedal lightly dab the brake with your left foot, that should make them drop back. If they come back keep doing it 'til they get the message.

Tbh if you're getting a lot of people on your rear bumper it's probably not them that's the issue... :wink: 

On 2018-03-28 at 6:11 PM, alexp999 said:

I didn't intentionally test it, but I have had it go off once.

Same here but at a shop. It stopped the car well over a meter from the wall. So now I have less speed when parking there.

On 30/03/2018 at 10:20 AM, TomsFocus said:

Tbh if you're getting a lot of people on your rear bumper it's probably not them that's the issue... :wink: 

I do the speed limit. Nout wrong with that.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club