Do Not Sell My Personal Information

privacy glass replacement

alanblue

hello guys. just bought a 2008 fiesta blue with tinted privacy glass. how can i replace this with clear glass and how much would it cost?

all windows are tinted. good car by the way

Is it film or factory fitted privacy glass, if it film then it can be peeled of, using gentle heat to melt the glue.

If it's factory fitted then it's replace the glass you might find the parts second hand I've just had a quick search and some are out there then you would need to find some one to fit the glass for you unless you can do it yourself that might cost around £500, if it's new and fitted by a auto glass company it's probabaly in the region of £1500.

When you say all windows are tinted do you mean they have the standard light blue or they all are dark?

Rear privacy glass was standard on the 'Blue' edition I believe.  Why do you want to remove it?  It's not a modification if you're having insurance issues.

6 hours ago, pragmatix said:

Is it film or factory fitted privacy glass, if it film then it can be peeled of, using gentle heat to melt the glue.

If it's factory fitted then it's replace the glass you might find the parts second hand I've just had a quick search and some are out there then you would need to find some one to fit the glass for you unless you can do it yourself that might cost around £500, if it's new and fitted by a auto glass company it's probabaly in the region of £1500.

When you say all windows are tinted do you mean they have the standard light blue or they all are dark?

thanks for your reply m8. the tint is not fully dark but when i'm driving at night i find the tint in the windows is more prominant from the inside which makes it look darker than it really is, if that makes sense. pretty pricey window replacement though. how can i tell if it's factory fitted or film? thanks for searching m8 much appreciated

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Rear privacy glass was standard on the 'Blue' edition I believe.  Why do you want to remove it?  It's not a modification if you're having insurance issues.

thanks tom. i don't know it just feels a bit too dark for my tastes. the tint is more prominant from the inside at night so it looks darker outside than it really is.

As Tom say it was standard on the Blue edition, so it's glass not film, you'll soon get used to it and it keeps the car cooler on a hot day, the front door and windscreen are just standard light blue tint so you'll stop noticing it soon, it's something I really miss on my present car

29 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

As Tom say it was standard on the Blue edition, so it's glass not film, you'll soon get used to it and it keeps the car cooler on a hot day, the front door and windscreen are just standard light blue tint so you'll stop noticing it soon, it's something I really miss on my present car

thanks for your encouraging comment. at the moment it feels strange coming from a clear glass perguet 206. but as you say, i may get used to it so i'll leave any alterations till i've had the car a while. i don't want to get rid of it just because of the tinted glass. i only paid £1900 for it last week and the milage is a very low 27000. great for a 10 year old car. even though it's only low milage would it be a good idea to get the timing belt and water pump replaced?

9 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Think we may have mixed up our blue editions as far as I can tell privacy glass wasn't standard on a 2008 blue edition but is on the 2016 model, @alanblue doesn't mean it hasn't got the glass though.

I thought the Mk6 Blue was basically where they got rid of all the leftover Mk6 parts before the Mk7 came out, privacy glass included. 

If you send me your reg I'll check if it was fitted from the factory on yours.

9 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I thought the Mk6 Blue was basically where they got rid of all the leftover Mk6 parts before the Mk7 came out, privacy glass included. 

If you send me your reg I'll check if it was fitted from the factory on yours.

cheers tom. do i give my reg over the forum or as a private post

58 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

What engine does it have?

it has a 1.25 duratec petrol

13 hours ago, alanblue said:

cheers tom. do i give my reg over the forum or as a private post

Private message would be safest. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

just done a bit of research (youtube) and discovered that my tint is actually tinted film. got a hair drier and a razor blade and managed to remove it on all windows even the rear window. the rear took a bit longer as i didn't want to cut into the heater elements so i took my time but it came off. i used nail varnish remover of all things to remove the glue residue and then finished off with glass cleaner to make them really sparkle. look like new windows. once again thanks to you guys for your help.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club