Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Servicing my 1.5tdci myself

Toofpick

Hi all, I’m new to this forum so hopefully I’ve posted this in the right place. 

As stated, I’m going to be servicing my Fiesta for the first time. 

I was just hoping for advice being a novice. I’m all good for the oil change and fuel filter looks easy enough. I was just wondering what was the best tool for removal of the oil filter and what’s removed to get to it. Also any other problems you’ve encountered doing a service

Any advice or tips would be appreciated 

many thanks.

not done one of these myself.

I serviced my 1.6tdci mk6.5 fiesta many times. stripped sump plug thread as temptation is to do it up very tight to ensure copper washer does not leak (of course I should have bought a new copper washer).

Also bleeding air out of fuel system after changing fuel filter proved very troublesome and hours of messing, including a mouthful of diesel from sucking it up the pipe with my mouth 

Thanks Isetta. I was under the impression that the fuel filter was ok after refitting the new filter. It just needed cranking a bit before starting. 

early 1.5 bleeding is required(stage 5 emissions) and later 1.5 its just a case of ign on for 40 secs(stage 6 emissions)

if you unsure what stage yours is, pm me your reg and i will check. 

Iantt- good to hear that as my current car is Euro6 on the v5 doc (I assume that means stage 6 emissions). How does it differ? - has Ford have now fitted an electric pump to get the fuel up to the mechanical high pressure pump? 

yep, i found that out while changing a water in fuel sensor and accidently switched ign on while sensor was out. opps!!! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Toofpick said:

I was just wondering what was the best tool for removal of the oil filter

Sometimes there is a nut as part of the casing you can put a socket over and use a ratchet on it if it won't unscrew by hand. Otherwise the messy method is to stick a screwsriver through the side and lever it off that way if you don't want to buy a special tool.

Personally I prefer this type of removal tool, but others like the spring loaded ones that fit over the end. It works one way (like a pair of stilsons) so that you can "ratchet" it around if you will. However the oil filters I remove are a lot bigger than on your average car. They're also screwed on quite tight and access is a lot better. This might then be a bit overkill/harder to use for you.

Mainpoint-high-quality-chain-type-Oil-Filter-Wrench-Auto-Tool-engine-box-spanner-Oil-Fuel-Filter.jpg_640x640.jpg

The oil filter is a paper element, so just need a 27mm socket for the plastic cap.  Not sure if the Fiesta is more cramped than the Focus but you can just remove the ribbed air pipe (jubilee clips) to access the filter on there.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The oil filter is a paper element, so just need a 27mm socket for the plastic cap.  Not sure if the Fiesta is more cramped than the Focus but you can just remove the ribbed air pipe (jubilee clips) to access the filter on there.

About the same, fiesta is a little more awkward to pull the housing out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I’ve just been out under the hood today. It’s definitely a 27mm socket (I’ve managed to get one onto it today). It does look like I’ll get away with removing just the air pipe. Although it does look pretty tight in there. Thanks for your reply. 

• 11 months later...

Older thread, however, I thought I ask this. Is the insert positioning important? I mean the insert has that nozzle/nipple type plastic ticking out. However, in the new Fiesta, I cannot see it as it is to the side, unlike the older MK where it just there in front of you. 

I just put the insert filter into the plastic cap and screwed it back in with a 27mil socket. Figure, it will align itself when tightening it back in. What the opinions here?

I thought the way to do it is to insert the filter in the metal housing, making sure the protrusion goes into the hole in bottom of metal housing. Then I screw the cap on. That's how I always did it on my current fiesta and the previous one (about 10 times in all) . I have no idea if the protrusion ends up in the right place if done your way. I can't say it won't, I just don't know.

It won't align that way, the best way is to fit the oil filter to the cap temporary, then remove it( doing this makes the cap easier to screw on later)  Now put the filter in the engine housing and turn until it fits in correct position . You will feel in slot in further. Now put the cap back in and tighten.  

3 minutes ago, isetta said:

I thought the way to do it is to insert the filter in the metal housing, making sure the protrusion goes into the hole in bottom of metal housing. Then I screw the cap on. That's how I always did it on my current fiesta and the previous one (about 10 times in all) . I have no idea if the protrusion ends up in the right place if done your way. I can't say it won't, I just don't know.

You beat me just. Lol

Cheers guys for the tips. 

I've done two oil changes this way so far every 10k as I believe the 18k intervals are too much set out by Ford. I very much doubt I got lucky and placed it correctly into the housing blindly. I will most definitely refit it asap.

I just hope I'm not running the engine without proper lubrication, however, no oil pressure or any other type of error popping up on the computer.....Most likely the only issue I have caused is that no filtered oil is running back to the pan. Wonder if I might have already caused more than normal wear to the engine i.e. if no oil was replaced in the first place.

Edited by ModWorld
rephrasing

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club