Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice on buying a mk2.5 2.0 petrol titanium

carl325

Hi

I'm considering buying a mk2.5 Focus 2.0 titanium. Full Ford history with the car and average mileage for the year.

anything I should be looking out for on this particular model of focus?

is the 2.0 a reasonable engine capable of high miles if serviced correctly?

Thanks 

Mostly bushes to check around the control arms, rear upper arms, sway bar links end links. Test on rough surface for wheel wiggle and make sure the steering feels tight. Yes very reliable cars if serviced regularly they don't miss a beat and start always.

• Like 2

I've got the same engine only the 1.8, and apart from a clutch I've not had to spend anything else around the engine in two and a half years (touch wood)

I purchase the car with quite high mileage (82000) when it was five years old, it had a full service history and its currently on 107000 and doesn't miss a beat, I service it every year or 10000 miles. 

My mpg isn't the best, currently averaging 28-30 mpg but don't do a lot of motorway milage, just mainly short duel carriage way runs and town driving.

13 hours ago, wilto said:

I've got the same engine only the 1.8, and apart from a clutch I've not had to spend anything else around the engine in two and a half years (touch wood)

I purchase the car with quite high mileage (82000) when it was five years old, it had a full service history and its currently on 107000 and doesn't miss a beat, I service it every year or 10000 miles. 

My mpg isn't the best, currently averaging 28-30 mpg but don't do a lot of motorway milage, just mainly short duel carriage way runs and town driving.

The one I’m looking at has 103,000 on the clock with a full Ford history. Have had mk1 2.0 Ghia’s in the past and used to get 35-37mpg regularly. 

It’s mainly A road driving for my commute and a 5 mile trip on dual carriageways. 

It’s either the focus or a 1.2 Fiesta on a 55 plate instead..... Think I know which I’m going to buy 👍

14 hours ago, F0CUE said:

Mostly bushes to check around the control arms, rear upper arms, sway bar links end links. Test on rough surface for wheel wiggle and make sure the steering feels tight. Yes very reliable cars if serviced regularly they don't miss a beat and start always.

Cheers for that. Also had the 2.0 tdci a few years ago with the auto box and that was a lovely car. 

Will look over it carefully and report back later 👍

I've got exact car Ur lookin at getting. 2010 2.0 Titanium. Full ford service, 58k on clock now. I'm 2nd owner. Only thing I've changed due to it failing is the aux belt tensioner and belts as since tensioner was on way out itmade sence to do belts, the front lca''s r due a change as bushes are showing signs of wear but then it is 8 yr old this yr so can't complain. Mpg, well in town not gr8 mid 20s. On a run tho at motorway speeds I'm in mid 40s. Well specced car, Handles well, strong engine, lacks a bit of low down torque  but once you get it above 2.5k it gets a move on. 

Put a new heavy duty battery on it which has helped alot in the  cold weather since it's got heated front windscreen, seats etc which all drain the battery

Reg services and decent oil help since it's timing chain not a belt. Other than that just usual things to look out for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Think the one I’m looking at on 2008 is a cambelt engine as it was changed at 80,000 miles. 

Not long until I view it now 👍

Hmmm I thort all mk2s had the duratec he 2.0 which is a chain, someone on here prob knows for def tho. Either way, main thing is rust on the arches, esp round bottom of rear doors is known to go. Water in wheel well of boot, sign of common leak on it. Easy fix tho.. n just general overall condition. History etc. 

• Like 1

Well I went and looked and didn’t buy it. It required a service, the hose from the air box to the throttle body was split, the rear chrome trim on the boot was loose, the heated screen buttons were knackered and would’ve needed replacing and it was missing it’s roof aerial. Apart from that it had full Ford history 

7 hours ago, carl325 said:

Think the one I’m looking at on 2008 is a cambelt engine as it was changed at 80,000 miles. 

Not long until I view it now 👍

As @Dave1981 mentioned above, I'm pretty sure that the 1.8/2.0 Duratec was only ever offered by Ford in the MK2 Focus as a chain driven engine (it's essentially a Mazda engine).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The air hose connecting to the TB is bout £10 from ford. Aerials aren't expensive, can't say bout the chrome trim.. not major issues, depends on price of car really. Did you take it for a test drive? 

The chrome trim on the boot is very expensive. It currently costs approximately €400,-. Being a known problem also means that used ones are pretty rare.

It is even cheaper to buy an original boot trim in primer and have it painted by a professional painter than to buy the original chrome boot trim.

Mine has the rare chrome boot trim...forgot to add that to the list on the for sale ad! :laugh:

What I don't understand though, is why the chrome trim is still perfect after 10 years, yet the chrome on the badges barely lasts 3 years! :unsure: 

Never did like the chrome boot trim. Think it looks tacky tbh.  Glad mine has the colour coded one think it gives a cleaner look to the rear. 

I did test drive it and it went very well. The boot trim and aerial didn’t really put me off just the price really plus it required a service and some cosmetic work to the outside. I can buy it for £1900 if I want it but a service and the other bits will cost another £200-£300 to get it to where I’d be happy with it.

Now looking at a 1.6 Zetec instead with the 100bhp engine! 

Why not haggle over the price then? Or won't they move on it? 

The zetec isn't bad, just under powered if it's the petrol 1.6. but all depends what your wanting the car for really, might be suitable for your needs. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dave1981 said:

Why not haggle over the price then? Or won't they move on it? 

The zetec isn't bad, just under powered if it's the petrol 1.6. but all depends what your wanting the car for really, might be suitable for your needs. 

Well I bought the 1.6 Zetec and it’s not and for a smaller engine. 

Will require a cambelt soon as it’s approaching 100,000 miles plus a minor service.

It’ll do me for my work journey and occasional long trip away.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club