Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk6 timing belt

lloydyyy

My 2008 Mk6.5 Fiesta is due a timing belt change - I think it's due in June but I might have to bring it forward as the water pump is leaking slightly. Is the timing belt interval 10 years or 8 years? The car's done about 87k miles so the belt needs to be changed due to age rather than mileage.

is it broken? ie making a noticeable noise, if not i would just leave it be

If the timing belt was broken the engine wouldn't be running...

Which engine do you have Lloyd?

I think at that mileage it may be worth doing it. Could check the condition of it and look for any cracks or if the topside looks shiny and smooth. Could also check to see if you can see any manufacturer stamps on it. If you've had this car for a few years and know it wasn't done then it may be a good time to do it. 

ignore me, for some bizarre reason i read the title thinking it was the drive belt, i must be tired lol

Thanks for the replies. It's a 1.25 petrol. I've had the car since it was 3-years old, it's now 10-years old and has done about 87k miles. I plan to keep the car for as long as possible. I'll check the condition of the timing belt but I was wondering if it should be replaced due to age rather than mileage at this point.

Yeah the interval is 8 years or 100k on them so it's over due now really.

The water pump isn't run by the timing belt on this engine so can be changed separately if desired.

• Like 1

Blinking 'eck, I thought it was 10 years rather than 8. I best get it changed. A friend of mine is a mobile mechanic with a good reputation so he'll change the timing belt with the car outside of the house. He's quoted £220 for a new belt kit including water pump. My local indie quoted £375. I don't want to take a chance and wait for the car to reach 100k - that'll be at least another year with my current annual mileage.

• 1 month later...

Another local indie recommended by a family member has quoted £252 including the auxiliary belt, and their timing belt kit comes with a 5-year guarantee.

My friend (quoted £240 for a Gates kit and including the auxiliary belt) who was supposed to be doing the job has had to cancel the last few weekends due to plans and other circumstances. He was meant to come on the weekend just gone but couldn't find his timing locking tool but he's able to come this week or on the weekend. Obviously I asked if he could provide a receipt to prove the work has been done (if I ever need to sell the car) and he said it shouldn't be a problem. He's no longer mobile (now works in a garage but I'm not sure if it's for someone else) but he can still do the work on my car.

Would appreciate any advice. Not sure who to go with.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club