Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SYNC 3 update error - can anyone help?

Jorg

I just bought a Focus 2017 Ecoboost 125. It has the SYNC 3 built in.

I checked and the current software version is 2.2 
I tried updating via WIFI which doesn't work. It'll just search for available updates forever.

I followed the instructions on the Ford webpage, entered my VIN and downloaded the software. I formatted a drive to exFat as per instructions but no matter what I do I end up getting the same error message as soon as I plug the USB pen into the car: Installation failed Error Code: LST_ERR05

I've downloaded the files several times and tried different USB pens but always get the same result.

I also called the number which only tells you to go and see a dealer or call another number which will incur call charges.

Can anyone help?

IMG_5200.jpg

There are 3 files inside the zipped download- SyncMyRide, autoinstall & DONTINDX.
These files go to the root of your drive and don't need to be opened any further than that.
All the zipped files inside the SyncMyRide folder are self extracting, just copy the folder over unaltered.

Remove any other stprage devices from the cars ports (usb, sd cards, phones etc) and don't connect your phone by bluetooth either.
Insert the update drive and leave it to work while the engine is running, I suggest a drive while the update runs.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

I had the same, when I unzipped the folders got separated, got everything back in the folders it worked less than 15 mins start to finish

This is what your usb stick should look like

3563A0CE-3C62-4A26-86B6-287E71AE21A9.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks guys!! That was the problem.

I unzipped the files on mac with a 3rd party unzip app which separated all the files. I've done it again with the unarchiver and it kept the files in the folder plus the 2 extra files.

This time it worked. Thanks!

What's actually new in version 3.0? Couldn't see any difference.

• Like 1

Job done [emoji4]

It appears to me that the update mostly covered general stability and a few small tweaks in the operating system.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

The things I've seen so far are the navigation button is now a star and the parking sensor graphics are  larger and better.

Yeh, I noticed the navigation symbol too. 

I been reading we’re getting applink for Waze and possibly even Google Maps. I tried it but it didn’t work. 

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Has anyone had issues with once downloaded then adding the unzipped files to the usb?

I appear to be getting error 0x80004005

many thanks,

Jas

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2018 at 12:44 AM, Jorg said:

Thanks guys!! That was the problem.

I unzipped the files on mac with a 3rd party unzip app which separated all the files. I've done it again with the unarchiver and it kept the files in the folder plus the 2 extra files.

This time it worked. Thanks!

What's actually new in version 3.0? Couldn't see any difference.

I had the same issue. Unzipping on a Mac (even using the built-in unzip on OSX) doesn't put the tar files in the SyncMyRide folder. Thus causing the LST_ERR005 error. Redone the process on a Windows PC, and thanks to this thread, it's now sorted!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can't get this to work. I am doing exactly as directed above but just get the error code 005. Any ideas please?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also having problems downloading this update by Mac. 

The Mac is automatically unzipping the main files - and I'm having to manually create 'SyncMyRide' and putting all but the 2 listed files in there. Do they also need unzipping? I'm getting the ERR_005 message as well. 

second image is just taken where the files are still copying over to my USB - its these files that I don't know if I should unzip as well?

Thanks Heather 

Screenshot 2019-08-21 at 16.18.34.png

Screenshot 2019-08-21 at 16.20.17.png

• Thanks 1

Iv'e successfully udated my Sync3 system twice using a Mac with no problems, make sure you use unarchlver and not the buil in system.

• 3 months later...

I've had the same problem downloading the files on a MAC but I realized that Safari was automatically unzipping some files.  If you go to Safari's preferences window, make sure to deselect the last option at the bottom of the window.  This way the file is downloaded as a zip folder, not partially unzipped.

spacer.png

Meanwhile, I've managed to get my vehicle to recognize the USB drive and begin the Update but after one hour it's still displaying the Updating message.  Is it really supposed to take this long?

• 4 weeks later...

Had the same error code LST_ERR05 on attempt to update with  USB . The files appeared as just the 3 files on USB  (but during the down load 2 files failed so I skipped them - probably caused the failure to upload). Decided to go back to factory settings start again and try WIFI, This actually worked and it has now updated after approx 40 minutes to SYNC 3 software version 3 BUILD 19205 which appears to be the latest version (I was on  software version 2.2 Build 16223) . Sync has also commumnicated with Ford website and has confirmed I had the latest software.

Ford website has now opened up the option for me to download the latest Maps software onto USB which is large approx 23GB  I am currently on maps version EU 4.15 which is ... old. Lets see how that goes.

On 7/16/2019 at 12:57 PM, JasE1 said:

Hi,

Has anyone had issues with once downloaded then adding the unzipped files to the usb?

many thanks,

Jas

I get the same error, have you had any luck, Jas?

On 7/16/2019 at 12:57 PM, JasE1 said:

Hi,

many thanks,

Jas

Must stay on Focus I am having problems too, but I keep reading you can't update via WiFi in the UK. Are you saying that young back to original Factory default has enabled sync update via wi fi for you? I am on sync 3 V2.  I can't install the update as it gives PKG_ERR003, suggesting it can't unpack the zip archive.

Edited by Graeme_r
Add info

The PKG_ERR003 is probably because Ford are supplying me with a corrupted ZIP  See below when I analysed tonight's download:

Looks like Ford's Sync update package is supplying a duff compressed file  JR3T-14G391-AE.tar.gz

More soon.  

WIN ZIP report
Warnings were issued - see below for details

Testing DONTINDX.MSA
Testing SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-THA.tar.gz
******* DONTINDX.MSA Tested OK
Testing SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-TCB.tar.gz
Testing SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G391-AE.tar.gz
******* SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-THA.tar.gz Tested OK
******* SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-TCB.tar.gz Tested OK
******* SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G391-AE.tar.gz: Invalid compressed data to extract.
Testing SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G381-AS.tar.gz
Testing SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G423-AB.tar.gz
******* SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G381-AS.tar.gz Tested OK
Testing SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G387-AAB.tar.gz
Testing SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-AB.tar.gz
Testing autoinstall.lst
******* SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G423-AB.tar.gz Tested OK
******* SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G387-AAB.tar.gz Tested OK
******* SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-AB.tar.gz Tested OK
******* autoinstall.lst Tested OK
At least one error was detected in C:\Users\graem\Desktop\SYNC3_2807656394_Update.zip.
Severe Error: Compressed data is invalid.

I am still getting the 0x8000 error when trying to extract the latest update. So guess Ford still supplying a duff zip file. Fails at the 14G391 -AE file every time.

The problem lies with Ford as the zip file is corrupt with a CRC error!

1841113173_sync3fail.jpg.ac96a75aa71c0d2af8bacc5c9406a9f9.jpg

Have you got any antivirus running which may affect it? Someone is having a similar issue here and I downloaded and extracted the zip fine, so I don't think there is any issue with the file on the server.

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/113725-sync-3-downloads-but-doesnt-unzip-fully/#comments

15 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Have you got any antivirus running which may affect it? Someone is having a similar issue here and I downloaded and extracted the zip fine, so I don't think there is any issue with the file on the server.

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/113725-sync-3-downloads-but-doesnt-unzip-fully/#comments

Thanks for the response. Just tried downloading again using a different machine (Win 10), and got the same error using different unzip software. Both machines use MS Anti Virus, but have never given any problems with unzipping.

570912023_Sync3Error2.jpg.f9f39e2a574e09c9c0a21e34e5216539.jpg

The link https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/113725-sync-3-downloads-but-doesnt-unzip-fully/#comments which says the files will auto extract in the car, directly contradicts the published instructions given in the update guide(attached) which says:

"The update available for download is
packaged as an archive so you will need
to unzip it after download. For unzipping
the file, you can use tools such as WinZip,
WinRAR and 7zip."

I'm not too happy about just putting the compressed file into the car, when I know the copies i have are corrupt! 

I have e-mailed Ford, but am not expecting a reply other than ask your dealer, who I'm sure won't have a clue!

SYNC_3_USB_MAPS-Update-Guide.pdf

1 hour ago, MattWRX300 said:

The link https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/113725-sync-3-downloads-but-doesnt-unzip-fully/#comments which says the files will auto extract in the car, directly contradicts the published instructions given in the update guide(attached) which says:

You need to unzip the file you download, which then leaves you with two files and a folder. The folder contains tar.gz files, which are themselves compressed folders of files, which SYNC should uncompress when installing.

I'm having the same problem as you. No matter how many times I download I can't unzip without error using Windows or 7Zip. I'd assumed that the problem was with the file on Ford's servers, but alexp999 was able to demonstrate that the problem must be related to my download.

On another thread (linked below) I've today posted on how I have found a (not hassle-free) way of downloading the package I need without (it seems) corruption. Essentially I downloaded the 2.6GB zip file directly from Ford to Google Drive using a third party service. I've not had a chance to try it out yet, but I'm hoping it will help.

Scoggy. I have managed to get an extract of the file by using Express Zip from NCH as recommended by Jeanette https://www.nchsoftware.com/zip/index.html

This displayed no errors. However I have compared two extracted versions 1. From Power Archiver, and 2 from Express Zip, using Winmerge to compare them and there are differences.

I still not happy with this. Pretty sure that the file served is not good!

I think I will wait for another update to see if we can reliably extract the file using common unzippers

:-(

539873438_WinmergeDifference.thumb.jpg.1c0928a261a2e59ad09e45e48cf7d5ea.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club