Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SYNC 3 update error - can anyone help?

Jorg

NCH Express Zip displayed no errors for me but still gave the PKG ERR003 when I tried to install it.

Just saying it works OK for me or it could be the anti virus could be a red herring for those of us with issues. Bear in mind that different Ford VIN numbers may result in downloads of varying sets of zipped files. Some of the sets may be OK whereas some may have a duff encrypted file.   I have a Focus 1.0 Ecoboost 125 2017 model.  Other Focus models or Fiestas etc might get sent a slightly different package of files.

After getting the PKG_ERR03 file a lot, I finally managed to install the software last night. I've posted in the other thread I linked to but the summary is:

- I was able to extract the original file(s) I downloaded with NCH Express but not 7Zip or Windows. However, even when I put the files extracted by NCH onto a USB I was unable to get through the install process without PKG_ERR03

- I'd assumed that meant the file was compressed by Ford in an odd way

- It turned out the file was getting corrupted somewhere between me and Ford

- I tried several ways to download the file (including over my mobile network) but got the same result each time

- In the end I managed to get an uncorrupted file by 'downloading' the file to my Google Drive (I have 100GB of storage there) using a third party service I signed up to (free): multicloud.com

- Once I had a version which Windows and 7Zip could extract without error it installed on my car without error

A real hassle, and took a lot of effort (thanks to all on this forum whose experiences and insightes helped me figure this out). It turns out Ford aren't compressing the files in an odd way, but I think there's something odd about their servers (or something) which is leading to this being flakey. I'm sure there must be other ways to get an uncorrupted file, but this is at least one way.

For this I needed the URL of the file I was downloading. I got this from a download manager extension I installed on Chrome (Online Download Manager) and my URL was https://ivsubinaries.azureedge.net/owner-package/2312344331665956361/SYNC3_2815874155_Update.zip

• Like 1

After getting the PKG_ERR03 file a lot, I finally managed to install the software last night. The summary of my experience is:

- I was able to extract the original file(s) I downloaded with NCH Express but not 7Zip or Windows. However, even when I put the files extracted by NCH onto a USB I was unable to get through the install process without PKG_ERR03

- I'd assumed that meant the file was compressed by Ford in an odd way

- It turned out the file was getting corrupted somewhere between me and Ford

- I tried several ways to download the file (including over my mobile network) but got the same result each time

- In the end I managed to get an uncorrupted file by 'downloading' the file to my Google Drive (I have 100GB of storage there) using a third party service I signed up to (free): multicloud.com

- Once I had a version which Windows and 7Zip could extract without error it installed on my car without error

A real hassle, and took a lot of effort (thanks to all on this forum whose experiences and insightes helped me figure this out). It turns out Ford aren't compressing the files in an odd way, but I think there's something odd about their servers (or something) which is leading to this being flakey. I'm sure there must be other ways to get an uncorrupted file, but this is at least one way.

For this I needed the URL of the file I was downloading. I got this from a download manager extension I installed on Chrome (Online Download Manager) and my URL was https://ivsubinaries.azureedge.net/owner-package/2312344331665956361/SYNC3_2815874155_Update.zip

• Like 1

Hy,

Had the same problem when downloading with firefox...

It seems to work with microsoft edge and winzip

(for a mustang)

I've tried multiple downloads of the update to my 68 Fiesta St Line and every time it is corrupt. 

https://ivsubinaries.azureedge.net/owner-package/14738157636462714960/SYNC3_2807656394_Update.zip

I tried contacting Ford, but they were so unhelpful. 

I've tried downloading on my Desktop, tablet and my mobile on 4G and every time it's corrupted. I have tried Chrome, Edge and the new Edge & I even followed your steps of downloading to Google and using NCH to extract the files. Winrar and 7ZIP, all have the same error:

! C:\Users\soton\Google Drive\SYNC3_2807656394_Update.zip: Checksum error in C:\Users\soton\Google Drive\SYNC3_2807656394_Update\SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G391-AE.tar.gz. The file is corrupt

I have tried again today - and used WInzip - but to no avail - it still says corrupted file 

image.thumb.png.a9273e2935d24351573849c97dad75ce.png

So I have emailed FORD - hoping for a reply ?

3 hours ago, adzie91 said:

I've tried multiple downloads of the update to my 68 Fiesta St Line and every time it is corrupt. 

https://ivsubinaries.azureedge.net/owner-package/14738157636462714960/SYNC3_2807656394_Update.zip

I tried contacting Ford, but they were so unhelpful. 

I've tried downloading on my Desktop, tablet and my mobile on 4G and every time it's corrupted. I have tried Chrome, Edge and the new Edge & I even followed your steps of downloading to Google and using NCH to extract the files. Winrar and 7ZIP, all have the same error:

! C:\Users\soton\Google Drive\SYNC3_2807656394_Update.zip: Checksum error in C:\Users\soton\Google Drive\SYNC3_2807656394_Update\SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G391-AE.tar.gz. The file is corrupt

I've tried the same method that worked for me and transferred the file to my Google Drive. It looks uncorrupted to me (see 7Zip screenshot). I've sent you a link to the file in my drive. See if that works for you.

If it works, great, but it'd be good if we can figure out a less complicated way to get an uncorrupted file.

I can see I'm getting a bit of packet loss when pinging the Ford server. I don't know why - I've tried rebooting my router. I don't generally see issues downloading files, but I wonder if the problem is with my (and others') internet connections.

image.thumb.png.c77a304b1c6910329147af73ef94aed1.png

Just come across this thread as I'm having the same issue.
Tried MS Edge and Firefox (latest build, unsure which)
then unzipping either via 7zip or Winrar. Both give checksum errors for this file
https://ivsubinaries.azureedge.net/owner-package/2312344331665956361/SYNC3_2815874155_Update.zip

! D:\- Downloads\SYNC3_2815874155_Update.zip: Checksum error in JR3T-14G391-AE.tar.gz. The file is corrupt
! D:\- Downloads\SYNC3_2815874155_Update.zip: Checksum error in JR3T-14G423-AB.tar.gz. The file is corrupt
! D:\- Downloads\SYNC3_2815874155_Update.zip: The archive is corrupt

There's clearly an issue with the archive I'd have thought. Packet loss would give a corrupt archive but not in exactly with the same files each time (for me anyway)?

Has anyone else managed to download and unzip that particular URL successfully?

Has anyone else managed to download and unzip that particular URL successfully?

No, but I've been trying to unzip this one for my Focus 2018 all day: 14738157636462714960/SYNC3_2807656394_Update.zip

As in your case, this apparently common file to many of our zips: JR3T-14G391-AE.tar.gz is the problem one for me.

I tried on Windows & Chrome first and got "Data error" from 7Zip. Same result when downloaded using Edge.

To exclude Windows and browsers from the equation, I downloaded it using wget on my RaspberryPi. Then unzip gives me: "error:  invalid compressed data to inflate" for this file.

There's clearly an issue with the archive I'd have thought

I agree. It looks like Ford have released a bad tar. FWIW, I'm not sure if each of our zips is unique to our VIN and they get built on-the-fly when you click the Prepare Sync Download button.

Last thing to check for now is if the tar can be fixed by a utility.... Will report back if I get anywhere.

• Thanks 1

I keep on getting the same error and how trying to download over wifi its showing downloading JR3T-14G391AE but been showing this for ages and no movement on the download bar at the bottom 🙈🙈

It probably appears stuck as that's the biggest (1.6GB) file.

I succeeded with help from scoggy.

The file you mentioned always seems to get corrupted in the zip file, so when you unpack it, you get an error and it's only 234MB instead of 1.6GB.

Others have succeeded by following scoggy's instructions above. See latest comments in: 

Just had a response from Ford direct.

Good Morning, 

Thank you for taking your time to contact us. 

We are aware of issues experienced with the update facility, and our Technical team are working to resolve these concerns as quickly as able; to ensure the facility is functioning correctly, and the relevant tools are available as necessary.

We are expecting the next update to be released shortly, to provide both update for our vehicles and to address concerns that have been raised; therefore, we would recommend awaiting the latest update before reattempting. Alternatively, you are welcome to contact your local Ford Dealership for assistance with completing the update on your behalf, if you would prefer but this may incur a charge for labour.

Unfortunately, we do not have a confirmed date of release; but we would recommend you liaise with your local Ford Dealership for development, as they will be updated first as soon as the latest update is made available.

We do apologise for the inconvenience experienced, but appreciate you taking the time to bring this information to our attention; should you require assistance with another matter in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us direct on either 0203 564 4444 or UKCRC1@FORD.COM.

Kind Regards, 

So, they are aware theres a problem with the file downloads.. not so great we have to wait for the shortly (allegedly) released newer update.

That response from Ford is very similar (or the same) to the one they've been sending since early last year (see the link below).

https://www.fordownersclub.com/search/?q="and our Technical team are working to resolve"

Given the uncorrupted files CAN be retrieved from the Ford servers by some people and using some methods (see my posts on this and other threads) it'd be great if we could find a consistent way to get them.

I'd wondered if there's a collection of the files anywhere. Searching on Google I found a post on a Russian forum which has various versions of the files available:
https://ffclub.ru/post/18683966/

I can't vouch for this, but there are enough postings about this Russian forum on this site and across other similar sites and people seem to use it.

• Thanks 1

Tip of the hat to scoggy there - I had the same update issue with the corrupt files. What fixed it for me was using the direct URL to download the update rather than clicking the button on the Ford update site to download. That allowed for extraction of the files without any CRC errors. This is something I've seen before with other cloud-hosted downloads; sometimes a fancy button to download the files results in slow or corrupt data, whereas using the direct download URL seems to work.

Interestingly, the update link I got for my 2017 Mondeo points to the same download file scoggy used, so I suspect it's tailored more to the Sync version rather than a specific vehicle.

I am having the same issue guys.

Using a Mac, I have downloaded the files using both WiFi and mobile data on numerous occasions, in different internet browsers including Firefox.  I have also unzipped the Downloaded file using numerous different apps. Some apps give an error message saying it is unable to decompress one of the files half way through whereas some other apps don’t give that message (leaving me to assume it worked fine).  When there’s no error message Whilst unzipping, I add the files to the USB and then I go to plug into the car and half way through I get the dreaded error message on there. I have tried everything this forum has to offer so far to no avail!  

1 hour ago, MrPickle said:

I am having the same issue guys.

Using a Mac, I have downloaded the files using both WiFi and mobile data on numerous occasions, in different internet browsers including Firefox.  I have also unzipped the Downloaded file using numerous different apps. Some apps give an error message saying it is unable to decompress one of the files half way through whereas some other apps don’t give that message (leaving me to assume it worked fine).  When there’s no error message Whilst unzipping, I add the files to the USB and then I go to plug into the car and half way through I get the dreaded error message on there. I have tried everything this forum has to offer so far to no avail!  

If you look for the files that fail extract on the ffclub forum post I linked to on 21 Jan, can you find the files there?

7 hours ago, scoggy said:

If you look for the files that fail extract on the ffclub forum post I linked to on 21 Jan, can you find the files there?

I had a look but it’s all in a foreign language for me so I can’t make sense of it. I’m tempted to try the other link that you sent which gives direct access to download the file from elsewhere. My only gripe is that I never know where those files have come from. I’ve also just had this response from Ford:

Unfortunately there is an issue with getting the SYNC update at the moment. This issue is being looked into by our technical team however we have no update as yet. 
I would advise contacting your dealership where they will be able to assist further. 

27 minutes ago, MrPickle said:

I had a look but it’s all in a foreign language for me so I can’t make sense of it. I’m tempted to try the other link that you sent which gives direct access to download the file from elsewhere. My only gripe is that I never know where those files have come from. I’ve also just had this response from Ford:

Unfortunately there is an issue with getting the SYNC update at the moment. This issue is being looked into by our technical team however we have no update as yet. 
I would advise contacting your dealership where they will be able to assist further. 

I use Chrome to translate it.

What filenames are failing for you? I can see if I've managed to get those ones from Ford successfully.

On 1/27/2020 at 10:06 PM, scoggy said:

I use Chrome to translate it.

What filenames are failing for you? I can see if I've managed to get those ones from Ford successfully.

I’ll have a look, I deleted the files so will have to redownload them. Will let you know when I do! 

Hey guys, new member here. Glad I stumbled across this forum post as I’ve been doing my nut in with this error. 

I purchased a nearly-new Focus Estate about 3 weeks ago, when I picked the car up I got the ‘Software update available, connect to WiFi to download’ message every time I used the car. Tried to download via the house WiFi and also my 4G in the car to no avail. 

Downloaded to my Mac and have had the same unzip issues as everyone else, seems to be the same file that fails that you guys all mention. 

@scoggy would you be able to share the g-drive link for the files you’ve used to update your car please? Cheers. 

As an aside to all of these issues, I left the car for a couple of days on the drive at home and the battery completely died on me. I believe that the car has been trying to download the updates and got stuck in a loop as it can’t and it killed the battery. I turned off the automatic updates, bluetooth and Ford Connect app stuff and the car has been fine since then. It went to Ford this week and they said the battery was fine, but they were apparently unable to download the software too.

Managed to download the latest update for synch 3 from their update page as per normal today. No hiccups or unable to extract errors this time.

So hopefully they have fixed the problem, rather than me just getting lucky with a non corrupted download.

• 2 weeks later...

At last!  The latest download package from Ford delivered Sync 3 Software version 3.0 Build 19205 for me too.  The File that previously gave the error is now 1.5 Gb.

CHANGED service PROVIDER to download.

I had been having the same file corrupt issue when copying from Windows 10 to the USB drive. The same 2 files others have reported. The only thing I did different was download it from a house using AT&T as a provider. It sure makes my Xfinity service look like the problem. I saw someone else used their cell phone hot spot and got a clean copy so that gave me the idea to try a different service provider.

It updated me 2016 F150 from Sync 3 version 1.0 to Version 3.0. All good for now.

Hope this helps.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club