Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Steering Reservoir Filter?!?

jimjamyaha

Hi,

Replaced my power steering reservoir and flushed/replaced fluid to try and quiet a slightly whiny pump... Otherwise it was fine.

Was assured by multiple dealers that the part I needed had a filter in.

Fitted replacement and even after a few days and correct bleeding proceedures had a super noisy pedestrian-jumping pump!!! Steering was also a bit heavier esp on roundabouts (it was fine before).

Just looked closer at original reservoir removed... No filter!

Cleaned it up and refitted, bled system etc. now back to normal levels of noise.

Anyone able to see if their 2006-2010 2l Petrol SMax has a filter in the power steering reservoir or not? (Pics attached of one with).

Many thanks,

James.

IMG_20180329_122747.jpg

IMG_20180329_124433.jpg

IMG_20180329_121838.jpg

err, the filter is still in, the red piece. the idea is you flush the old oil out with some new,  replace the failed component, fit new reservior refill with new fliud , run engine for a while(3mins). the filter in the new reservoir collects any bits of debris . then you pull the red filter out . this then allows the fluid to flow freely. 

there is a fine mesh filter also inside that blocks up. thats why you have to change reservoir. 

44 minutes ago, iantt said:

err, the filter is still in, the red piece. the idea is you flush the old oil out with some new,  replace the failed component, fit new reservior refill with new fliud , run engine for a while(3mins). the filter in the new reservoir collects any bits of debris . then you pull the red filter out . this then allows the fluid to flow freely. 

Hi, sorry if I've not made it clear, but the one I replaced *didn't* have a filter in.

The replacement did and caused massive noises and intermittent failure...

As far as I'd been told the filter was to stay in... This is what normally clogged up on older ones and why it needed to be replaced?

42 minutes ago, iantt said:

there is a fine mesh filter also inside that blocks up. thats why you have to change reservoir. 

Ah, have i misunderstood that there is both the filter (orange) *and* and a fine mesh (somewhere else).

Thought these were one and the same - but very happy to be corrected 😀

Yeh, pull the orange one out

7 minutes ago, iantt said:

Yeh, pull the orange one out

Gotcha. Thanks! New knowledge stored! 😀

• 1 year later...

sorry to bump an old post but...

can you advise on which fluid you put in?

googling is returning about 10 different types for the smax

cheers

• 2 years later...
On 4/2/2018 at 8:54 PM, jimjamyaha said:

Hi,

Replaced my power steering reservoir and flushed/replaced fluid to try and quiet a slightly whiny pump... Otherwise it was fine.

Was assured by multiple dealers that the part I needed had a filter in.

Fitted replacement and even after a few days and correct bleeding proceedures had a super noisy pedestrian-jumping pump!!! Steering was also a bit heavier esp on roundabouts (it was fine before).

Just looked closer at original reservoir removed... No filter!

Cleaned it up and refitted, bled system etc. now back to normal levels of noise.

Anyone able to see if their 2006-2010 2l Petrol SMax has a filter in the power steering reservoir or not? (Pics attached of one with).

Many thanks,

James.

IMG_20180329_122747.jpg

IMG_20180329_124433.jpg

IMG_20180329_121838.jpg

Hi. The pipe that goes to this pump just started leaking oil yesterday. Heavily I must add. Is the part number universally the same or does it differs from country to country? Anybody knows what the number is? Thanks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club