Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo type query 1.6tdci and 1.5tdci

isetta

My brother has a 2007 Fiesta 1.6tdci 90bhp on which something has just gone wrong and power is down a fair bit.

I have a 2015 Fiesta 1.5tdci Econetic 95bhp on which I have always thought the performance was a bit low compared to my brother's 1.6tdci which I previously owned.

Anyway, can anyone tell me if the 2007 mk6.5  1.6tdci has a fixed vane turbo or variable vane   &   can anyone tell me if my mk7.5  1.5tdci has a fixed vane turbo or variable vane.

They both have a rod on them but I don't know how to tell if that is to vary the vane angle or if it is for a wastegate.

Am I correct in saying variable vane turbos don't have a wastegate?

Having had a TDCI fiesta for 11 years I should know more about them but if they don't go wrong you just leave well alone and don't learn anything.

Answers please from anyone who knows

Don't know if this is helpful but here's a picture of my turbo when I was changing the injectors on the 1.6 TDCI 

DSC_0114.JPG

thanks for the pic. I think that if a turbo has variable vanes they are on the exhaust side so unfortunately I can't tell from the photo. don't suppose you have a picture of the other end do you. However, even then I am not sure how easy it is to see the variable vanes or if they are only really visible when the turbo is dismantled.

http://www.turbotechnics.com/turbochargers/vnt-turbos/

on the link here there is a pic towards the top right of screen which makes me think that the variable vanes are not clearly visible without dismantling.

I suspect there is a way you can tell from the lever / rod , may be from where the lever is situated on the turbo housing, but I don't know how to tell.

90bhp DV6 has a wastegated turbo.  The 110bhp DV6 has a VNT.

I'm not sure about the 1.5TDCi.

OK, thanks. If I get around to it I will take photo of the 1.5 turbo and put it on here as I expect someone can tell from where the lever is on it.

49 minutes ago, isetta said:

OK, thanks. If I get around to it I will take photo of the 1.5 turbo and put it on here as I expect someone can tell from where the lever is on it.

If you can see the numbers on the turbo it'll be easy to work out.  If it's a Garrett it'll be something like GT1244v, where the v stands for VNT.

But I reckon it's a wastegated TD02 like the 90bhp 1.6.

If its VNT the rod will be straight down, if its wastegated it'll be diagonal.

Ok, thanks, that clears it up. It seems to be a waste gated one.  I knew a lot of stuff from working on cars in the 80s/90s , then had a huge gap of many years and now have some catching up to do on this modern stuff.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club