Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Gearbox Mount/Torque Restrictor

TomsFocus

So, has anyone needed to change the lower gearbox mount on a low mileage mk3?

I'm still getting the random harsh jerks on my 44k 1.6tdci and lighter ones regularly, I have to really be careful with the clutch...my 75k mk2 1.6tdci isn't like this at all!

There's also more engine vibration which can be felt and seen when idling both together.  I swapped top engine mounts and it's reduced cabin vibration but visually the engine is still moving a lot.

I also get a rythmic 'wobble' when just using the clutch, usually for parking, it feels like driving over a cattle grid or rumble strips slowly.  I know that's probably the DMF, but I shouldn't be able to feel it through the car.  I don't think the DMF itself is failing as there's no noise from it at all.

I've also noticed extra vibration through the car/pedals on fast corners which I'd guess is from engine movement.

I've seen a lot of complaints about vibrations etc in mk3s but as usual people don't post the end fix lol.  

So, lower gearbox mount is my next try...just wondered if anyone else has done it yet!

19 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

So, has anyone needed to change the lower gearbox mount on a low mileage mk3?

I'm still getting the random harsh jerks on my 44k 1.6tdci and lighter ones regularly, I have to really be careful with the clutch...my 75k mk2 1.6tdci isn't like this at all!

There's also more engine vibration which can be felt and seen when idling both together.  I swapped top engine mounts and it's reduced cabin vibration but visually the engine is still moving a lot.

I also get a rythmic 'wobble' when just using the clutch, usually for parking, it feels like driving over a cattle grid or rumble strips slowly.  I know that's probably the DMF, but I shouldn't be able to feel it through the car.  I don't think the DMF itself is failing as there's no noise from it at all.

I've also noticed extra vibration through the car/pedals on fast corners which I'd guess is from engine movement.

I've seen a lot of complaints about vibrations etc in mk3s but as usual people don't post the end fix lol.  

So, lower gearbox mount is my next try...just wondered if anyone else has done it yet!

From a fairly quick look online it looks like the process is very similar to the MK2/MK2.5 i.e. not technically difficult but potentially awkward to get to certain bolts unless the car is well in the air i.e. not on ramps etc.

I posted recently about changing this mount on my 1.8 TDCi MK2, I was getting similar symptoms to what you've described and replacing the mount resolved it.  The rubber in the mount was also thoroughly knackered (I included a pic in the post).

• Like 1

Yeah I did see yours, I know you've done a lot more miles though so it's a bit more acceptable.

I'm just sceptical of that being the issue at this mileage.  It would be great if it is just that.  Have ordered a new genuine mount, should be here tomorrow hopefully so we'll see if it cures it.

It's not looking good if no other mk3s have needed one yet... :laugh:

• Haha 1

The Focus MK3/MK3.5 lower gearbox mounts are known to be quite soft to reduce vibrations. This is a product feature and not a problem. The downside is that the engine can move quite a bit. Changing the gearbox mount for a standard version will probably not solve the problem. If it does solve the problem it will most likely be a temporary fix.

A known upgrade of the standard lower gearbox mount is the lower gearbox mount of a Focus Electric. The lower engine mount of a Focus Electric is a lot stiffer compared to the standard lower gearbox mount. However the downside of a stiffer lower gearbox mount is more vibrations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Wilco, I can't see that they're all this bad as standard though.  Had I bought it new I'd have sent it back for something smoother...a Sherman tank maybe...

I did see that the focus electric mount was an upgrade for the ST, but I think it'd be too harsh on a diesel.  There's already a lot more cabin vibration than there was on the mk2...which is odd as that's what the softer mount is meant to reduce.

So, swapped this today.  Very easy, literally 5 minutes once jacked up and undertray off.

Old one didn't look bad, so I wasn't expecting any improvement on the test drive.  However, there's a bit less cabin vibration and gearchanges are definitely smoother.  There's still the annoying EGR jerk on pull away but it's now just a single jerk instead of 4 hops lol.  It's not perfect, but it does feel like other modern cars now.  Will wait to see how long it lasts though!

IMG_20180406_142559515.thumb.jpg.632055ada0231bf60fb1de8a3c8c4450.jpg

Oddly the gearbox bracket was loose, 2 of the 3 bolts weren't even finger tight.  And there's a driveshaft seal leak as well.  I reckon it's had a clutch or slave replaced at some point unless quality control is that bad now.

IMG_20180406_142547023.thumb.jpg.077ca3fe08d3b863d8e342f645c463ef.jpg

And just to top it off, a large nail right in the centre of a 6 month old tyre lol...  It's not flat so it can stay there for now. :rolleyes:

IMG_20180406_150514206.thumb.jpg.f072899b4b3df012451189f004266156.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club