Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6TDCI econetic clutch

Lmaynard

Hi guys,

I am brand new to the forum so please accept my appologies if i have posted in the wrong section/ in the wrong way. 

Just want a little advice. Last week i handed my 2015 VW Polo petrol back to the finance company and bought a 2013 Fiesta Zetec TDCI 1.6 econetic with 34k on the clock. It is a lovely car, really nice to drive but i have noticed that the clutch pedal is a bit heavy. When i say heavy i mean in comparison to the petrol Polo iv been driving since brand new. I think it is more than likely just feeling heavy because i am not used to it but i have read horror stories of a heavy clutch pedal meaning its on its way out!!

Is it normal for the fiesta diesels to have a heavy clutch pedal? 

Any help/advice would be hugely appreciated.

thanks!

I have a 2015 1.5tdci econetic which is pretty much the same car as yours with 61cc smaller engine.  My clutch is definitely not heavy. But I would say it is a little heavier than the clutch on my son's 1000cc VW Lupo. 

In theory the more power and torque a car has, the stronger the diaphram spring in the clutch needs to be to stop the clutch plate slipping when you accelerate. And the stronger the spring is the more push on the pedal it needs to release the clutch.

Most clutch pedals these days have a spring on them which is designed to make it easier to push the clutch pedal down after it is about half way down . Bit hard to describe what I mean. Perhaps that spring is not on correctly.  I think it is sometimes called an over-centre clutch return spring. 

Thank you for your reply. 

I dont know whether it is “heavy” or whether it just feels that way because im used to my polo where the clutch was really light. 

Its really hard to know what is normal and what is not. 

18 hours ago, Lmaynard said:

Hi guys,

I am brand new to the forum so please accept my appologies if i have posted in the wrong section/ in the wrong way. 

Just want a little advice. Last week i handed my 2015 VW Polo petrol back to the finance company and bought a 2013 Fiesta Zetec TDCI 1.6 econetic with 34k on the clock. It is a lovely car, really nice to drive but i have noticed that the clutch pedal is a bit heavy. When i say heavy i mean in comparison to the petrol Polo iv been driving since brand new. I think it is more than likely just feeling heavy because i am not used to it but i have read horror stories of a heavy clutch pedal meaning its on its way out!!

Is it normal for the fiesta diesels to have a heavy clutch pedal? 

Any help/advice would be hugely appreciated.

thanks!

Hi Liam.

Is the clutch slipping at all?  A good way to test this is to drive on a flat piece of road at 30mph, put it in 5th gear and then accelerate.  If the revs rise at a disproportionate rate to the speed, your clutch is probably on its way out.

Hi Albert, thanks for your reply. 

No the clutch doesnt slip at all. The bite point is neither too high or low either

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Liam and all,

Bit late I know but thought i should reply as have a 2011 Fiesta econetic - and I'd say the clutch is quite heavy. Bought it 4 years ago when it was a little over 2 yrs old, and clutch has felt the same during that time. 

I've driven other mk7s including a 1.5tdci and if memory serves, all their clutches felt lighter than mine. I've only driven one other econetic though (one I missed out on buying....) but irritatingly I can't recall how its clutch felt. 

So am not sure if this helps but I suspect it may be normal for (1.6) econetic clutches to be a bit heavy, though I don't understand why. Mine has had the usual quick road tests as part of service/ MoTs and nobody's ever told me the clutch needs adjustment or anything. Am trusting it will carry on giving no trouble....:wacko:

In friendship, Blair 

:war: