Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Testing the cooling fan

Cono1616

Hello,

I have a 2014 fiesta and I've noticed the cooling fan isn't coming on either when the engine gets hot or when the AC is on. Not so much a problem now but want to get it fixed before I'm sitting in traffic in the summer.

My first thought was to test the fan itself by connecting it directly to the battery with two wires but I can't seem to find the connection to the fan - every video I've seen has the connection right in the middle but to me it looks like it could be at the bottom of the fan and the easiest access would be from under the car? Can anyone confirm this? 

Can’t confirm the connection location but mine had a problem with the fan relay. Common fault according to Ford. 

i would be checking for 12v feed at cooling fan relay, then if that ok, bridge out pins 3 and 5 on relay connector in battery fusebox. 

• Like 2

On 4/7/2018 at 3:42 PM, iantt said:

i would be checking for 12v feed at cooling fan relay, then if that ok, bridge out pins 3 and 5 on relay connector in battery fusebox. 

Sorry for asking a stupid question - but you mean with a multimeter and not simply just changing the relays? 

you can swap relays if you want to and try it with air con on. or if you do have multimeter, pull the relay out and check for 12v at connector pin 1 and 3. 

• 2 months later...

Reposting as sadly broke the multimeter before I come to do this, can I just hook the relay direct to the battery and try to hear the click or will this fry it? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club