Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK2.5 ESP: What does it actually do?

rhyds

Stupid question of the week time...

My MK2.5 apparently has ESP fitted. Now I understand what ABS does, and what Traction Control does, so what's the difference between ESP and simple ABS and Traction Control systems?

ABS: keeps wheels from locking under braking by modulating individual wheels.

TC: reduces drive wheel spin by braking the spinning wheel and reducing throttle.

ESP: Uses both systems and a couple of other sensors to keep the car heading in the right direction. So if it detects understeer while turning right, it will apply just the right rear brake to yaw the car round. Oversteer in the same corner would apply the left front to push the back into line.

• Like 3

TC: reduces drive wheel spin by braking the spinning wheel and reducing throttle.
ESP: Uses both systems and a couple of other sensors to keep the car heading in the right direction. So if it detects understeer while turning right, it will apply just the right rear brake to yaw the car round. Oversteer in the same corner would apply the left front to push the back into line.
Thanks. So. I probably would never notice the ESP side unless I got in serious trouble!

10 hours ago, rhyds said:
13 hours ago, Wookie Monster said:

Thanks. So. I probably would never notice the ESP side unless I got in serious trouble!

Or in snowy conditions with low speed wheel spin, the ESP light will be flickering...

It can help to keep you out of trouble, but no substitute for using appropriate tyres. I had some 'normal' summer tyres on my car when we had the first lot of snow and they were hopeless in anything more than a hint of ice. Ran winters from december until last weekend and it was like driving a different car. ESP barely had anything to do.

1 hour ago, MartinFC said:

Or in snowy conditions with low speed wheel spin, the ESP light will be flickering...

I do get the ESP light on if I'm a bit heavy footed coming out of a junction, but I assume that's just the traction control side of the system cancelling out my size 10 lead foot. 

1 hour ago, Wookie Monster said:

It can help to keep you out of trouble, but no substitute for using appropriate tyres. I had some 'normal' summer tyres on my car when we had the first lot of snow and they were hopeless in anything more than a hint of ice. Ran winters from december until last weekend and it was like driving a different car. ESP barely had anything to do.

The car has Dunlops all round. While I understand that no ESP system is going to save me from utter personal stupidity, its nice to understand what the system will try and do if such a situation occurs, rather than be like my mother who was freaked out when she felt the ABS kick in on her Astra and took her foot off the brake pedal!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rhyds said:

I do get the ESP light on if I'm a bit heavy footed coming out of a junction, but I assume that's just the traction control side of the system cancelling out my size 10 lead foot. 

The car has Dunlops all round. While I understand that no ESP system is going to save me from utter personal stupidity, its nice to understand what the system will try and do if such a situation occurs, rather than be like my mother who was freaked out when she felt the ABS kick in on her Astra and took her foot off the brake pedal!

Ye I think most people do that the first time they feel abs kick in.

Previous car and motorbikes didn't have abs so when it kicked in first time in my cmax ,I was like wtf!!! :p

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club