Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My ongoing Focus saga...

EddyOS
聽Share

An older car that l had never had the immobilizer light but when the transponder disappeared l learned it had an immobilizer on it 馃槀 but as to the immobilizer light flashing weather your keys in or not if on remembering right from our focus as soon as the ingnition is switched on it cuts off till the keys removed again, I'm sure it was the same on 2 other previous cars we've had ( different models ) but as Tom said if the immobilizer isn't deactivating it won't let the fuel through that l know from a transit l had as a call out repair guy realized n fitted a buy pass wire that meant l had no problems with it until I either got it fixed properly or disconnected it, with it being an old 98 1 it was an easy job, but as to the fuel filter if still kept as the MK1 focus its in a small gap between the back seats and the boot area underneath a right pain to refit but ok to undo 馃槮 the pump should be accessible from a panel under the back seat if not you need to empty the tank then drop it..

Seems like we've got another artscot79 here :biggrin:

• Haha 1

According to that video if it flashes with ignition on then it's reporting a fault to you. You can tell by the flash sequence what it's reporting and so give you an idea where the problem is. I didn't quite get the sequence even on that video but maybe if you video it someone will be able to tell

It did聽start when the low loader came round but as soon as you pump the gas it cuts out, so it's with the garage now. Just hope they get it fixed this time! Fingers crossed...

Side-note: Got a bulge in the near-side front tyre, so also need to get those replaced (but I'd planned on that anyway)

On 4/12/2018 at 11:05 AM, EddyOS said:

there's no fuel getting to the engine (Green Flag guy disconnected one of the fuel lines and nothing comes out when attempting to start the car, same at the fuel filter)

I can't see if your car is the 2l TDCI or 2l Duratec petrol engine.

If it is deisel, there is probably no pump in the tank, so nothing would come out of any pipe prior to the main high pressure pump. So the GF diagnosis would be a complete red herring.

If petrol, fuel should spay out rather vigorously! There will also be a pump cut-off switch, that may be activated by small impacts or big bumps.

If the immobiliser is flashing with ignition on, then there is a problem, and Forscan might help as Tom suggests. But usually the car will make no attempt at all to start if immobilised, and there are other odd effects like the odometer being all dashes.

Otherwise, I would suspect the starter motor or solenoid first, if it is attempting to start but not turning over, and the battery is ok.

Ah, just re-seen the bit about cutting out when opening the accelerator. That complicates it even more! But if it was diesel, then the GF man would have let air into the system, and it would stall very soon after starting, and then not restart.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

I can't see if your car is the 2l TDCI or 2l Duratec petrol engine.

If it is deisel, there is probably no pump in the tank, so nothing would come out of any pipe prior to the main high pressure pump. So the GF diagnosis would be a complete red herring.

If petrol, fuel should spay out rather vigorously! There will also be a pump cut-off switch, that may be activated by small impacts or big bumps.

If the immobiliser is flashing with ignition on, then there is a problem, and Forscan might help as Tom suggests. But usually the car will make no attempt at all to start if immobilised, and there are other odd effects like the odometer being all dashes.

Otherwise, I would suspect the starter motor or solenoid first, if it is attempting to start but not turning over, and the battery is ok.

Ah, just re-seen the bit about cutting out when opening the accelerator. That complicates it even more! But if it was diesel, then the GF man would have let air into the system, and it would stall very soon after starting, and then not restart.

It's the 2.0 Duratec-HE petrol engine

I swear this car is cursed!!聽:laugh:

New fuel pump sorted the non-starter issue, but聽now聽it's giving a P2008 fault code (on the second drive, although I did notice it was very sluggish driving it home), which does seem easy to fix so gonna look to do it myself as others on here have done it and it seems straight forward

If I don't laugh I'd cry at this point

IMG_0039.jpg

Always makes me laugh when people say 'better the devil you know' about cars... :laugh: 聽 I have the same sort of luck as you lol.

I'm umming and arring about getting a genuine Ford part or third-party part.

Reckon there's any point going genuine for the sake of 拢40?

Which part are you going to try?聽 That's not a fault I've come across before.

THIS is the part in question (genuine part from a Ford dealer in Plymouth), THIS is a third party part for about 拢80 cheaper

fcw-1357313-4m5g9j559nb-vacuum-solenoid-valve-intake-manifold-for-ford-focus-cmax-mondeo-mazda-3-5-6-cx7.jpg

I'd try the cheap one myself.聽 It's just a solenoid so there's not much to it, not like a sensor that needs to have a tight tolerance and decent accuracy.聽

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I'd try the cheap one myself.聽 It's just a solenoid so there's not much to it, not like a sensor that needs to have a tight tolerance and decent accuracy.聽

That was my thinking too. Let's give it a go!

• Like 1

OK, might take longer! eBay ones are from China, even though they say UK stock (might ask in case but still don't want to wait ages for delivery as I need the car!)

6 hours ago, EddyOS said:

OK, might take longer! eBay ones are from China, even though they say UK stock (might ask in case but still don't want to wait ages for delivery as I need the car!)

If they specify a UK postage address on the auction they must post from the UK.

14 hours ago, Micro said:

If they specify a UK postage address on the auction they must post from the UK.

I asked and they said it will take 5-10 days, so petty sure that isn't in the UK. Doesn't matter, got one coming tomorrow so will sort it out over the weekend. Anyone know where to get a decent torx/star bit set from?

EDIT: Found a set on Prime same-day delivery so will see if it arrives on time!

One offending part replaced, engine light gone! Now to go for a drive and make sure it's good but already sounds better on idle.

Wish me luck!

IMG_0042.jpg

I was just going to say good luck but saw that post was 3 hours ago...聽 Hopefully that's a good sign and you're not broken down on the M25... :unsure:

On 4/19/2018 at 8:54 AM, EddyOS said:

I asked and they said it will take 5-10 days, so petty sure that isn't in the UK. Doesn't matter, got one coming tomorrow so will sort it out over the weekend. Anyone know where to get a decent torx/star bit set from?

5-10 days is the standard gumf for taking 2-3 days handling then 2-3 days second class. China postage is closer to 14 days (but have had stuff come in 4, and 59 days!)聽

13 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I was just going to say good luck but saw that post was 3 hours ago...聽 Hopefully that's a good sign and you're not broken down on the M25... :unsure:

HA! No, all seems well. Was driving it yesterday evening and the car聽appears to be behaving itself. Bit too early to tell, though!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club