Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My ongoing Focus saga...

EddyOS

It doesn't rain but it pours with my Focus!!

Got the crank sensor replaced, car was running but it had blown a dipped bulb. Replaced them today and now the car won't turn over! battery light remains on, yet the battery is less than a month old so it sounds like either a faulty battery, a drain somewhere OR something else...

Suggestions?

EDIT: Forgot to add, battery is reading 12v when I put my multimeter on it. Dunno if that's normal or not

It could be a rubbish battery ! As in 1 that's not suitable for the focus or too many short journeys n more power used than it replaceing ( we've had that with our focus not running long enough ) we even went the extreme of not even locking the doors for about a month to rebuild the power back up as the alarm drained it just on the basic lock because we wasn't using it much during the day more at night so the battery wasn't charging properly.. took it for a run during the day for about an hour no radio on or anything didn't have a or had a problem since, but it could also be a fault draining it if nothing else..

2 hours ago, EddyOS said:

It doesn't rain but it pours with my Focus!!

Got the crank sensor replaced, car was running but it had blown a dipped bulb. Replaced them today and now the car won't turn over! Battery light remains on, yet the battery is less than a month old so it sounds like either a faulty battery, a drain somewhere OR something else...

Suggestions?

EDIT: Forgot to add, battery is reading 12v when I put my multimeter on it. Dunno if that's normal or not

Do you hear a click when you try to operate the starter? Do the dash lights dim? If not the starter solenoid isn't operating. That could be a wiring or an immobiliser fault. Try monitoring the voltage whilst the the starter is being operated.

A fully-charged battery should read about 12.6V after standing overnight.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, doggsbody said:

It could be a rubbish battery ! As in 1 that's not suitable for the focus or too many short journeys n more power used than it replaceing ( we've had that with our focus not running long enough ) we even went the extreme of not even locking the doors for about a month to rebuild the power back up as the alarm drained it just on the basic lock because we wasn't using it much during the day more at night so the battery wasn't charging properly.. took it for a run during the day for about an hour no radio on or anything didn't have a or had a problem since, but it could also be a fault draining it if nothing else..

battery is 6 weeks old, and is one specifically for the Focus so shouldn't be that...

10 hours ago, mjt said:

Do you hear a click when you try to operate the starter? Do the dash lights dim? If not the starter solenoid isn't operating. That could be a wiring or an immobiliser fault. Try monitoring the voltage whilst the the starter is being operated.

A fully-charged battery should read about 12.6V after standing overnight.

Not sure as with the door closed all I can hear is the ***** Sony 6-CD headunit spinning CDs! Tad annoying!

Spoke to the garage that replaced the crank sensor and they've suggested trying the spare key incase the immobiliser is kicking in, otherwise get it to them and they'll have a look FOC

• Like 1

battery light will stay on with ignition until the engine starts so that doesn't point to a battery/charging fault in this case. 

Did this happen immediately after changing the bulb?  It may just be a blown fuse.

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Battery light will stay on with ignition until the engine starts so that doesn't point to a battery/charging fault in this case. 

Did this happen immediately after changing the bulb?  It may just be a blown fuse.

That the issue, I don't know. I drove he car back last Thursday after it was fixed, changed the drivers headlight and then noticed the bulb was gone but it did start without issue. I've been away for a long weekend so not driven the car (didn't want to drive a 400 mile round trip straight away!) so only got round to changing the bulbs yesterday evening and that's when I noticed it wasn't starting

Ah I see, the battery voltage might have dropped in that time.  Cars get shunted around on short moves at garages, if it was then just a short trip home, left for 4 days and then ignition on and lights tried it could have drained the battery.

You should be getting a click from the starter though, it's obviously not totally dead if the stereo is powering up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ah I see, the battery voltage might have dropped in that time.  Cars get shunted around on short moves at garages, if it was then just a short trip home, left for 4 days and then ignition on and lights tried it could have drained the battery.

You should be getting a click from the starter though, it's obviously not totally dead if the stereo is powering up. 

Even if it was an hour drive home (had to go round the North Circular)? I was also driving it the rest of the day to make sure it was running but have considered jumping the car to see what happens.

To be honest, it was the first real drive since putting the new battery in as well so could all be pointing to that...

How far is your garage lol?  I was expecting 5/10 minutes, should've had plenty of chance to charge on an hours trip.  

You're not really meant to jump these because of the smart charge, it can cause voltage spikes.  I guess you don't have a battery charger?

I went to a 'Ford' garage as opposed to one down the road, purely on what I found online. I could've gone to Ford themselves but didn't want to pay dealer prices (£99 for diagnosis alone)! Therefore it was 10 miles away but being in London it's never that easy getting anywhere!

I don't have a charger, no, although I do still have the old battery but I don't know what state that's in. Might just get my breakdown cover out again and see what they say...recommendation on a charger?

Wow, glad I don't live in London lol!  

I wouldn't recommend buying a charger unless you'll use it regularly, won't be worth the cost.  I've got a Halfords Advanced 'automatic' one that still seems to work ok 5 years on, only one I've had though so can't compare.

If you've got Homestart and you're not over the call out limit (some are only 2 per year I think?) then that's probably the best thing to try first.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I wouldn't recommend buying a charger unless you'll use it regularly, won't be worth the cost.  I've got a Halfords Advanced 'automatic' one that still seems to work ok 5 years on, only one I've had though so can't compare.

If you've got Homestart and you're not over the call out limit (some are only 2 per year I think?) then that's probably the best thing to try first.  

It's the fact he mentioned North Circular. Depending on the time of day he may have literally sat still in traffic for 55 minutes of the hour.... Still should have charged though.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I do have Homestart with my Green Flag/NatWest cover, although had to use them last week to get the car to the garage in the first place! Hopefully they'll still come out as it's technically a different fault but if not, I have another breakdown policy with my car insurance but I don't think that's got homestart. Time to make some phone calls on lunch...

3 minutes ago, CGGR said:

It's the fact he mentioned North Circular. Depending on the time of day he may have literally sat still in traffic for 55 minutes of the hour.... Still should have charged though.

It wasn't too bad a drive back, just a bit of a hold up at one point but otherwise it was quite a pleasant drive! Forgot how nice the 2.0 Duratec is

Mechanic gave me a good tip once to test for a flat battery when it won't start.

Put the dipped beam on, then try to start. If the lights go out it's flat. On a healthy battery they will dim a bit but not go out completely.

If the lights don't even flicker there is some other problem preventing it from starting.

• Like 3

Just now, alexp999 said:

Mechanic gave me a good tip once to test for a flat battery when it won't start.

Put the dipped beam on, then try to start. If the lights go out it's flat. On a healthy battery they will dim a bit but not go out completely.

If the lights don't even flicker there is some other problem preventing it from starting.

My father-in-law taught me that... *Touch wood* I haven't actually had this sort of issue with mine as of yet. I only replaced the original battery 2 years ago.. So 6 years on the original and I believe it was one of the mid-range replacements I went for.

8 minutes ago, EddyOS said:

It wasn't too bad a drive back, just a bit of a hold up at one point but otherwise it was quite a pleasant drive! Forgot how nice the 2.0 Duratec is

You've obviously become rather accomodating of the 1 hour 10 mile drive that the Circular offers motorists on their daily commutes. :wink:

Hat off to you sir! I myself despise the road, never have been good in that sort of congestion, literally would have me back to smoking in about 10 minutes I reckon haha...

18 minutes ago, CGGR said:

You've obviously become rather accomodating of the 1 hour 10 mile drive that the Circular offers motorists on their daily commutes. :wink:

Hat off to you sir! I myself despise the road, never have been good in that sort of congestion, literally would have me back to smoking in about 10 minutes I reckon haha...

Believe me, I don't do it daily! It was out of necessity that I had to go on it so I can stomach small bouts. I HATE congestion too

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Got Green Flag out again this evening, fingers crossed it's a simple fix!

Green Flag have just left, it's the fuel pump (nothing getting to the engine or fuel filter).

How easy are they to replace?

Hmm...cars usually still crank with a dead fuel pump.  However the immobiliser can stop the pump and starter in some - I don't know on these though.  Have you tried the fuse for the fuel pump?  Pump itself will be under the rear seats, not sure if there's an access panel under there or not.

@iantt will probably be more help!

• Like 1

The car does attempt to turn over, there's no fuel getting to the engine (Green Flag guy disconnected one of the fuel lines and nothing comes out when attempting to start the car, same at the fuel filter). I've got it booked back into the garage tomorow morning so they can confirm the diagnosis and get it repaired, hopefully for good this time! Not going to be cheap, though...

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:46 PM, EddyOS said:

...now the car won't turn over!

4 minutes ago, EddyOS said:

The car does attempt to turn over, there's no fuel getting to the engine

So does it turn over or not? :laugh:  You don't need fuel for the starter to run.  Did the Greenflag guy check the fuse for the pump?  And the immobiliser stops the fuel pump if that's stuck on, should be a red light on the dash if it is though.

• Haha 1

Sorry, the starter motor attemps to start the car but it doesn't actually kick in (been a bit stressed the past few days!).

'We' didn't check the fuses, so will do that this evening to be sure. Immobiliser light continues to flash (not quickly) even with the key in the ignition - same speed as when the car is locked - but as I've never thought anything of it I don't know if that's normal or not (like at 14 seconds on this video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kBZeBbb9PM

7 minutes ago, EddyOS said:

Sorry, the starter motor attemps to start the car but it doesn't actually kick in (been a bit stressed the past few days!).

'We' didn't check the fuses, so will do that this evening to be sure. Immobiliser light continues to flash (not quickly) even with the key in the ignition - same speed as when the car is locked - but as I've never thought anything of it I don't know if that's normal or not (like at 14 seconds on this video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kBZeBbb9PM

Lol, no worries, with the starter turning we can rule out battery/charging issues though so that's good. :smile: 

I'm doubting myself with the immob light operation now, I think it should be completely off with the ignition on and on solid if there's a problem, so not sure what to say if it keeps flashing.  Have you got Forscan?

I do not, no. Wasn't expecting to have to get into it this deep so not bought any cables! Might be worth it in the long run, assuming I even keep the car as confidence in it is VERY low right now...the GF bloke checked everything in terms of error codes and there was nothing, hence looking at a mechanical issue as opposed to software.