Do Not Sell My Personal Information

focus mk2 facelift boot leak

b4zz

As title I have water getting into my boot and think It is coming from my back passenger rear quarter light window. I have put up a pic with where the water is coming from.

so has anybody got any help/advice of what I could do my self to fix it or would I be better off taking it to a garage or some where like auto glass  and let them take the window and and then reseal it for me.

In the pic you can see like the square hole closest to the window and that where the water is coming from.

20180315_114739.jpg

20180315_114718.jpg

20180410_120948.jpg

20180410_121002.jpg

Hi Barry, I'm struggling a bit to visualise where exactly this is, but it looks to me like that hole is above the window so I think it's unlikely any water coming in through the window would exit there. Could this be coming in through the spoiler which is a known vulnerable area? @Stoney871 did a great guide for fitting a new spoiler and using sealant around the bolts to prevent any water ingress - here.

• Like 1

yea the hole is above the window and I am now thinking that it cant be from there as I have checked the boot today as we have had rain over night and its bone dry. don't think it is the spoiler as when I put on the st one I sealed it all up but might take it off the weekend and reseal just to make sure its not coming from there. its not from the lights as I have sealed them up. so just a bit stumped at the minute as to where it could be finding its way in. cheers for the info that's the guide I used when I swaped my spoiler over. have you any other ideas where else it could possibly be coming from? not unless I have a hair line crack in one of the seams some where but I hope not

Sorry - no other ideas! Resealing the spoiler won't be a long job, especially given that you're already familiar so probably worth doing just in case.

cheers dan will reseal the spoiler and then go from there but hopefully that's where its coming from

• Like 1

quick up date on my boot leak.

have taken the spoiler and rear lights off and  resealed again so hopefully that has sorted out my problem but will keep you all up to date when we have a heavy down poor of rain or when I give it a good wash next.

• Like 1

I had water in my boot a few years ago,

I removed the rear light clusters and cleaned off all the grime underneath them (quite surprising how much).

Can't remember if I traced it back to the lights or just tried it, but it worked and it's been about 3 years with no problems since.

So hopefully having done your lights again will solve the problem.

cheers for all the help guys and just a quick update again. had a big down poor of rain last sunday and checked in the boot Monday morning and was bone dry I have also given the car a good wash and still nothing so hopefully I  have sorted it out but will keep a eye onit

• Like 1

Good news! Hope that’s the end of the problem.

What product did you use for sealing the light clusters?  I was hoping there is something available that will still allow to take them off to change bulbs which silicone probably wont. 

13 hours ago, south_bound said:

What product did you use for sealing the light clusters?  I was hoping there is something available that will still allow to take them off to change bulbs which silicone probably wont. 

Grease works well as it's waterproof but doesn't set.  Or Vaseline if you've got some already.

Thanks Tom.  Do you mean just normal general purpose machinery grease that comes out of a grease gun?  If so I have some and will try it.

Pretty sure a grease gun is a WW2 SMG lol... :laugh:  

But yeah that'll be fine, I just use a tub of Castrol All Purpose grease.  

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:58 PM, south_bound said:

just a general water proof silicone I used and you can still take off rear lights  you will just need to reseal with the silicone once you put them back on.

quick update again guys with the heavy rain we had in Cardiff yesterday I checked my boot this morning  and had a little pool of water again  (see attached pic) but no trail of water anywhere that I could follow to see where it had come from so think I will have to silicone around the boot hinches next just in case its coming in there some how. will keep you all update on how its goes once iv done it. defo not the spoiler  or lights leaking as I have resealed them . might have a hair line crack some where

20180428_090957.jpg

20180428_090958.jpg

20180428_091014.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club