Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Pause dash cam playback..What can you read.

jace1969

I know most have dash cams now but going on all makes even if £30 or £300+ what can you read when you pause your playback.

Mine is hit and miss on reading number plates on the other side if moving 30mph or more and with the other car moving as well,if sunny/bright i can just.

Thats on a 1440p camera of £60.

To be honest i don't think a lot can if moving as the blur of you passing the other car,can the playback program be a issue and make any different.

11 hours ago, jace1969 said:

I know most have dash cams now but going on all makes even if £30 or £300+ what can you read when you pause your playback.

Mine is hit and miss on reading number plates on the other side if moving 30mph or more and with the other car moving as well,if sunny/bright i can just.

Thats on a 1440p camera of £60.

To be honest i don't think a lot can if moving as the blur of you passing the other car,can the playback program be a issue and make any different.

The heated windscreen elements do not help at all.

You may find better results by using a player that can step frame by frame. Some video players may play silly buggers and make the video play more smoothly, by merging frames together and other funky stuff. VLC can do this.

The heated windscreen elements do not help at all.
You may find better results by using a player that can step frame by frame. Some video players may play silly buggers and make the video play more smoothly, by merging frames together and other funky stuff. VLC can do this.
I did think the player would play a big part of this,not that's it's any problem reading or not reading plates on the other car coming towards me but just seeing if a lot who have cams if they can do this as in most cases will blur on pause being both moving,some expensive cams are bad at this when I look at the reviews.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My DrivePro is pretty good, not sure how much I paid for it now though.

This pic is of a guy who damn near killed me and my daughter because of a reckless over take. I was able to get his plate, a decent head shot and all the writing off the hgv behind. I took the stills and the video to the police who then went on to charge the guy for dangerous driving and he is getting his day in court now!
aa8a0af33b3008eb63ed48e55dcb3f67.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My DrivePro is pretty good, not sure how much I paid for it now though.

This pic is of a guy who damn near killed me and my daughter because of a reckless over take. I was able to get his plate, a decent head shot and all the writing off the hgv behind. I took the stills and the video to the police who then went on to charge the guy for dangerous driving and he is getting his day in court now!
aa8a0af33b3008eb63ed48e55dcb3f67.jpg&key=d7a4a5d17f0ecda9e43b56996ab9e9271c269f6cd9142ae9c8e34a84c62cab69

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mine is just hit and miss,picture is 1440p so amazing it's just the motion blur on pause,if I pause then move it in frames a lot of programmes skips in to big of sections not small sectors,I'm amazed how some cheap ones are so good at this with fine detail.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

How are you moving in frames? It shouldn't move in too big a steps.

18 minutes ago, Micro said:

How are you moving in frames? It shouldn't move in too big a steps.

Say you pause a video on your p.c i get the cursor and move it manual when on pause but it seems to move in big ish sections.

Say the video on here that Jonro put on above i would get where the white car is now on pause then next step i would loose the front end if you can understand

and one back it would be that bit to far away say just behind the drivers door on the red lorry,its on windows normal player and tried VLC and the same.

Like the frames are not very close,not very bad but just that bit to much.

On 4/14/2018 at 9:17 AM, jace1969 said:

Say you pause a video on your p.c i get the cursor and move it manual when on pause but it seems to move in big ish sections.

Say the video on here that Jonro put on above i would get where the white car is now on pause then next step i would loose the front end if you can understand

and one back it would be that bit to far away say just behind the drivers door on the red lorry,its on windows normal player and tried VLC and the same.

Like the frames are not very close,not very bad but just that bit to much.

It could be your dash cam recording at a very low frame rate... When playing it back at full speed does it seem normal (like your watching a film or TV)? If so, then it may just be recording at 24 fps (the minimum required so that the human eye doesn't recognise any stuttering).

An example:
2 cars are travelling in opposite directions at 50 MPH (closing speed of 100 MPH).
Your dash cam is recording at 24 fps (1 frame every 0.04s).
This means that in 1 frame (0.04s) the cars will each travel ~0.9m forward and the relative distance travelled will be ~1.8m. This is around half the length of a Fiesta.
Maybe not then.

Another reason you get this could be the cam's shutter speed. A general rule of thumb for video is a shutter speed of around double the frame rate. For example, if the frame rate is 24 fps (1 frame per 0.04s) then the shutter speed should be ~1/50th of a second (0.02s). 
Your camera may not have the correct shutter speed (relative to its frame rate). This would lead to a blurry picture no matter frame you stop it on, but it will look fine when played at normal speed.

1 hour ago, dansallis said:

It could be your dash cam recording at a very low frame rate... When playing it back at full speed does it seem normal (like your watching a film or TV)? If so, then it may just be recording at 24 fps (the minimum required so that the human eye doesn't recognise any stuttering).

An example:
2 cars are travelling in opposite directions at 50 MPH (closing speed of 100 MPH).
Your dash cam is recording at 24 fps (1 frame every 0.04s).
This means that in 1 frame (0.04s) the cars will each travel ~0.9m forward and the relative distance travelled will be ~1.8m. This is around half the length of a Fiesta.
Maybe not then.

Another reason you get this could be the cam's shutter speed. A general rule of thumb for video is a shutter speed of around double the frame rate. For example, if the frame rate is 24 fps (1 frame per 0.04s) then the shutter speed should be ~1/50th of a second (0.02s). 
Your camera may not have the correct shutter speed (relative to its frame rate). This would lead to a blurry picture no matter frame you stop it on, but it will look fine when played at normal speed.

Yes mate it plays back ok,its records at 1440p 30fps and also tried the 1080p  60fps and the 1080p is not as sharp on the quality.

I have noticed as well if i change the AV to 1 down so it a bit darker but still fine as i have a Glare filter on i can read everything on the pause when closer and not blurred.

Only thing is it makes it that bit darker at night,im trying a lot of programs and it does seem to help a lot just finding the right one for MP4 files and good.

On 4/19/2018 at 3:20 PM, jace1969 said:

Only thing is it makes it that bit darker at night,im trying a lot of programs and it does seem to help a lot just finding the right one for MP4 files and good.

VLC as above is the best one i've found for playing them back (also free).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club