Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 TDCI Driveshaft

Jaiimez

Hey so I think the CV joint has gone in my front left driveshaft, had the bearing replaced about 3 weeks ago in the hub, and had to wrestle the car a little to get it to slide back in, since then it has made a very very quiet noise that often can't be heard, however today, whenever I turn right it makes a scraping noise, almost sounds like the brake pads rubbing against the risk kind of scraping, which gets louder the tighter I turn, however all my googling has led me to suspect the driveshaft, it was picked up a year or so ago from a scrappy after my last one had worn out, but no local scrap yards have one in.

Unfortunately we are off Saturday on a family trip to Alton Towers for the weekend, which is about 180 miles each way, i'm a little hesitant whether I should risk driving on it even with RAC cover that kind of distance, and my only other option is replacing it, I've had a look at ECP (Don't normally touch them with a 10ft barge pole but my other 2 suppliers locally don't have online catalogues) but the only driveshafts for the MTX are in the high 200's for price, there is one for about 90 but seems to be for an MA70 gearbox (which google tells me it's for a supra, well done ECP). Am I misreading the differences between them and the MA70 one would fit or am I specifically looking for the MTX one?

Have you checked its not something daft like the metal dust cover for the ball joint on the control arm doesn't just need bending back out a little. I have bent it without knowing when doing a hub bearing once and the noise is very similar to how you describe and is a little alarming when you first hear it.

I'll have the wheel off tomorrow, it started quietly shortly after having the hub bearing replacing and I had issues with the tie rod end so maybe it is that.

5 hours ago, Michael1980 said:

Have you checked its not something daft like the metal dust cover for the ball joint on the control arm doesn't just need bending back out a little. I have bent it without knowing when doing a hub bearing once and the noise is very similar to how you describe and is a little alarming when you first hear it.

If possible are you able to describe a bit more exactly what i'm looking for? Just so I don't misunderstand and miss it.

in my experience when a driveshaft goes (when the cv joint is knackered) it makes more of a clicking noise when moving forward with steering turned sharp

11 hours ago, isetta said:

in my experience when a driveshaft goes (when the cv joint is knackered) it makes more of a clicking noise when moving forward with steering turned sharp

Yeah, no this is definitely a metal on metal scraping sound,similar sound to when I first got the car and the person i got it from had let the brake pads run down to metal. 

15 hours ago, Jaiimez said:

If possible are you able to describe a bit more exactly what i'm looking for? Just so I don't misunderstand and miss it.

If you look at the below picture I have circled the metal cover I mentioned. It will just need bending slightly away from the brake disc ,I think this is what it rubs against to cause the noise. Hope this helps  

Image 1.PNG

1 hour ago, Michael1980 said:

If you look at the below picture I have circled the metal cover I mentioned. It will just need bending slightly away from the brake disc ,I think this is what it rubs against to cause the noise. Hope this helps  

Image 1.PNG

Just checked there is no rubbing there, by the looks of it it's the caliper slightly seized, the inside pad when the steering is turning left is touching the disc and the more you turn the harder it's rubbing, the piston on that side is dry too, so i'm going to disassemble to brakes in a bit and regrease it all up in the hope of freeing it all up.

The sound just seemed like something you wouldn't expect pads with material still on them to make.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club