Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus mk4

James

What do you guys think of the new Focus?  I think it looks decent.   A big disappointment is that the mulitilink rear suspension has been dropped for the 1 l ecoboost and 1.5 diesel. Torsion beam on those cars from what I have read and heard.   

23 minutes ago, James said:

What do you guys think of the new Focus?  I think it looks decent.   A big disappointment is that the mulitilink rear suspension has been dropped for the 1 l ecoboost and 1.5 diesel. Torsion beam on those cars from what I have read and heard.   

IF that's true, then that's a bit crap seeing as the multi link rear suspension is a large part of what made the MK1 Focus so incredible compared to a flabby Golf and rattly Astra of the day. :ranting:

speaking of the Mk1, this looks like someone decided to modernize it and sell it off as a Mk4.. or as a mate pointed out, the old BMW 1 series. I give it a B- for originality.  An if they did screw the rear suspension and after careful looks at the pictures im not sure thats the case (at least on the models shown) then shes going to get a poor C over all. 

If im honest, im not really WOW'd at all :( 

15 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

IF that's true, then that's a bit crap seeing as the multi link rear suspension is a large part of what made the MK1 Focus so incredible compared to a flabby Golf and rattly Astra of the day. :ranting:

I know, the Independent rear suspension gave the car its competitive advantage back in the day and through out the different models up to now.  I read it here:

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/ford/new-ford-focus-2019-uk-price-interior-pictures-specs-engines-and-release-date/

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

speaking of the Mk1, this looks like someone decided to modernize it and sell it off as a Mk4.. or as a mate pointed out, the old BMW 1 series. I give it a B- for originality.  An if they did screw the rear suspension and after careful looks at the pictures im not sure thats the case (at least on the models shown) then shes going to get a poor C over all. 

If im honest, im not really WOW'd at all :( 

It certainly isn't as good looking as the mk2.5 or mk3.5 anyway. 

• Like 1

Based on the pictures and the info that Ford officially released to the press I am not impressed. 

At this point I do not feel the need to change my MK3 for the new MK4. 

• Like 1

Real weird one for me this, it's like a Hyundai, BMW, Mazda,Volvo,(doors remind me of a clio :wacko: ) all blended in to one, When I first saw the MK3 focus I initially hated it but I now own one :rolleyes: so I'm going to reserve judgement until I've seen a few in person. I do like the new interior even though I'm not a fan of the stick on screen. 

Ahhh not good. One thing I liked in my focus was the screen looking built in. I hate cars where it just looks like they've stuck a tablet to top of dash. Weird they've gone that route

when I scrolled down and saw the pic I immediately thought it looked like BMW 1 series before I saw the Dee_82 post.

so if the smaller engine cars have inferior rear suspension , then I guess all of the cars supplied for reviews/road tests will be the higher spec suspension models and hence we will not see reviews of the inferior suspension models and hence that will not put a large proportion of the public off who read the reviews and then some of them buy the cars with inferior suspension but they would not understand or appreciate the difference anyway. Some of us will but a lot of the public will not.

• Sad 1

Tbf, the inferior suspension won't be an issue for most people.  It'll just be the same as the Fiesta.  Golf's have been like this for a while, 'worse' suspension on smaller engined models and they were reviewed as not being any different under normal driving.  It's just like having drum brakes on the current small Focus', they're not designed for hard driving and the majority of people buying would prefer lower initial cost and more reliability.  

I noticed they'll be fitting a 1.0 85ps engine to the Mk4 Focus though...  Hope I never get stuck behind one of those! :laugh:  Struggling to see any benefit of that now that the tax is all the same price!

• Like 1

What is point of 85ps engine. Figures show more co2 and same mpg as 125ps.

• Like 2

As I say, I can't see any plus points.  I'm guessing it'll be a very cheap option, not really intended to actually sell but more so they can advertise like - The new Focus 'From' £17,995 (for a poverty spec model with poor engine).

• Like 2

V disappointing ... a dull, stodgy little car.  I'm going to have to make my beloved 3.5 last as long as possible!!

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Tbf, the inferior suspension won't be an issue for most people.  It'll just be the same as the Fiesta.  Golf's have been like this for a while, 'worse' suspension on smaller engined models and they were reviewed as not being any different under normal driving.  It's just like having drum brakes on the current small Focus', they're not designed for hard driving and the majority of people buying would prefer lower initial cost and more reliability.  

I noticed they'll be fitting a 1.0 85ps engine to the Mk4 Focus though...  Hope I never get stuck behind one of those! :laugh:  Struggling to see any benefit of that now that the tax is all the same price!

Depends on the roads you drive on. I often drive on country roads with many dips and potholes so having a car with Independent rear suspension is better on those roads than cars that don't

• Like 1

What I like the most about the new Focus is that it looks allot more spacious than the mk3/mk3.5. My previous mk2.5 was allot more spacious inside and had a far bigger boot than my mk3.5. The dash on the mk3/mk3.5 protrudes out far to much, robbing room for people in the front and as a consequence those sitting in the back. It's hard to imagine that the Focus used to be one of the more roomier cars in it's class! 

• Like 1

Pretty bad IMHO. The back end shape is nicked directly from the old BMW 1-series, and not sure what happened at the front. Seems like the windscreen is too upright and too far back. With the crease lines in the front wing it looks like the windscreen starts too high up as well- almost like an early fiat multipla.

Don't like it at all.

• 2 months later...

Having seen Mat Watson's review of the new Focus I have to say ... I like it!  Despite my previous rather disparaging comments.

• Like 3

It actually looks decent in St line trim level. They also have fixed the two weak areas of the previous generation boot space and interior room. All reviews say the cars with Independent rear suspension is the best driving Focus yet. I'll probably get an St line second hand in a few years time myself. 

• Like 1

Hate cars that looks like they've just dumped a tablet on the dash and it doesn't look built in. Seems to be the style though.

29 minutes ago, James said:

It actually looks decent in St line trim level. They also have fixed the two weak areas of the previous generation boot space and interior room. All reviews say the cars with Independent rear suspension is the best driving Focus yet. I'll probably get an St line second hand in a few years time myself. 

mee as well or maybe something better.

boot in nearly same.

1 hour ago, mastachaz said:

mee as well or maybe something better.

boot in nearly same.

Boots certainly bigger in the mk4. 375l vs 316l. The Ford Focus mk3/mk3.5 has almost a supermini sized boot. 

On 4/11/2018 at 10:06 PM, gillyallan said:

Ahhh not good. One thing I liked in my focus was the screen looking built in. I hate cars where it just looks like they've stuck a tablet to top of dash. Weird they've gone that route

Was saying the other day how much I hate those. Shame they’ve gone that way. 

Looks decent, I'm sure we'll get used to the looks soon enough as they'll no doubt be everywhere soon enough just like the new Fiesta. Shame about the rear suspension on the base spec ones, as thats why I love my MK2 so much and my aunt loves her MK1.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club