Do Not Sell My Personal Information

6-speed gear ratio - why oh WHY !!

thhedk

I drive a 2014 Fiesta now, and I am ok satisfied with the gearing in 5th gear on the higway.
Last years trip to Italy (from Denmark) was also ok, but I could have used a 6th gear, to drop the engine speed 2-300 rpm's though.

I saw all the new Fiesta's had 6 speed gearboxes and was exited until I found out, that 6th gear is actually lower that 5th in my own!! Why oh ***** why ????  :(
Who wanted a close ratio gear box more than lower rpm on higways ?? I simply don't get it

....and why is the reverse gear all the way out to the right, after 6th on some photos, while it is up next to 1st gear on other? The last one is the most logical, since you always use the combination of 1st and reverse and vice versa.

I found the gear ratios, and it's the Final drive ratio on the 140 hp model that ruins it :(

2018 125 hp:
1st: 8.6 / 56  (@ 1000 rpm / @ redline)
2nd: 15.1 / 98
3rd: 23.1 / 150
4th: 31.3 / 195
5th: 38.9 / 195
6th: 46.5 / 195
Final drive ratio: 3.941

2018 140 hp:
1st: 7.8 / 51  (@ 1000 rpm / @ redline)
2nd: 13.6 / 89
3rd: 20.9 / 136
4th: 28.3 / 184
5th: 35.3 / 202
6th: 42.1 / 202
Final drive ratio: 4.353

So more power, lower gearing - dosn't makes sense :(

Same thing on the 140 mk7.5, it conveniently puts 60mph just out of reach of second gear...wonder why they would want to slow 0-60 times and mean a similar top speed to a 125

I assume those are speeds shown in kmh, so   "6th: 42.1 / 202"   means it does 42.1kmh at 1000 rpm which is 26.3 mph at 1000 rpm.   My mk7.5 1.5tdci econetic does 33mph at 1000 rpm in top (5th gear). When driving on motorway it feels just right to me, it does not give the feeling it wants another gear.  My previous mk6.5 1.6tdci was about the same as  " 42.1kmh at 1000 rpm which is 26.3 mph at 1000 rpm" (in top - 5th gear)  and felt like it could do with another gear or higher gearing.   It would really annoy me if it felt like you needed to change up a gear and there was no more to change up to.  It's a shame you can not specify the final drive ratio when ordering a car.

To be honest the refinement is so good on the 2018 models at cruise it's really not a huge issue. And I'm probably one of those people who would prefer a closer ratio gearbox over a few mpgs on the highway (but I only do about 8k miles per year). :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, isetta said:

I assume those are speeds shown in kmh, so   "6th: 42.1 / 202"   means it does 42.1kmh at 1000 rpm which is 26.3 mph at 1000 rpm.   My mk7.5 1.5tdci econetic does 33mph at 1000 rpm in top (5th gear). When driving on motorway it feels just right to me, it does not give the feeling it wants another gear.  My previous mk6.5 1.6tdci was about the same as  " 42.1kmh at 1000 rpm which is 26.3 mph at 1000 rpm" (in top - 5th gear)  and felt like it could do with another gear or higher gearing.   It would really annoy me if it felt like you needed to change up a gear and there was no more to change up to.  It's a shame you can not specify the final drive ratio when ordering a car.

Yes sorry, it's km/h of course.
I had a Mondeo Diesel and just loved the high 6th gear on highways, so I simply can't understand, why a 140 HP turbo car, should't be able to do the same, specially when the 100 HP i actually higher!

8 hours ago, Dan140 said:

To be honest the refinement is so good on the 2018 models at cruise it's really not a huge issue. And I'm probably one of those people who would prefer a closer ratio gearbox over a few mpgs on the highway (but I only do about 8k miles per year). :)

But cruising at 2000 rpm instead of 2600 is much more quiet and comfortable.
How can changing gears more often, when accelrating in cities be fun?

13 hours ago, thhedk said:

But cruising at 2000 rpm instead of 2600 is much more quiet and comfortable.
How can changing gears more often, when accelrating in cities be fun?

I understand where you are coming from but I think we may have very different driving philosophies! I see you have a Vignale so actually it may have been an idea for Ford to have a longer final drive ratio for that car which is all about comfort and refinement.

Personally, I love a short geared car (within reason - my last car had 5 gears and cruising at 70mph I was sitting just below 4000rpm which was a little OTT) because a) it accelerates faster in gear (although you may not see this in 0-60 times depending on where the shifts are), and b) I like working the knackers off a manual box. In the city it may be a pain but I only drive in the city when I am driving out of the city, usually to roads where it's possible to have a bit of fun. :whistling1:

the gear ratios on 125 hp comparing 5th on old and 6th on new is at 2000rpm is 47mph and 58mph according to the info i have and new 140 in 6th  is 53mph. dont know the ratio of the old 140

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club