Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre's appear to loose grip on full lock

mattwlkr

Hello,

I wonder if anyone has experience this. When coming off my drive and going left or right full lock it feels like my tyres are loosing grip. It feels like i'm on the edge of my tyres or similar sound to when you loose grip on snow (when moving slowly).

This also happens on mini roundabouts.

Tyres are Primacy 3's and they have a fair bit of tread left.

Thanks,

- Matt

Mine does the same, I just presumed my tracking was out a little.

Also check front wishbone outer balljoints.

That's what it was on mine

@mattwlkr @atrox when you say it slips do you mean it's as if the steering turns a slight bit more without turning ? If so as @tommy1340millar said it's either the ball joints or hubs, to test place a bar in the gap if it moves side to side easy it's buggerd if it moves down it's your hub 👍

My MK2.5 makes a scuffing sound at full lock at low speed (e.g. in a car park) and it feels as if you're trying to push "against" the tyres. However our work MK3s have done the same since new so I put it down to a feature rather than a fault. 

On 4/18/2018 at 3:07 PM, F0CUE said:

Check your drop/end links for play.

On 4/19/2018 at 5:15 PM, tommy1340millar said:

Also check front wishbone outer balljoints.

That's what it was on mine

I'll try and get these checked, got the rear bushes checked as the car was a bit wobbly at the back but appeared fine according to mechanic. Perhaps the front end is having an effect on the back.

4 hours ago, mattwlkr said:

I'll try and get these checked, got the rear bushes checked as the car was a bit wobbly at the back but appeared fine according to mechanic. Perhaps the front end is having an effect on the back.

Should this have been picked up at a service and mot? Or would this be out of scope?

17 hours ago, mattwlkr said:

Should this have been picked up at a service and mot? Or would this be out of scope?

It depends on the condition at time of mot as l had a mk5 transit with abs n it felt like someone was hitting with a hammer when breaking but ( according to the mechanics it was fine !!! ) Also friend who repairs cars told me the full lock clunk wasn't a problem a year later I've learned a lot from DIY repairs the clunk was the top strut bearing which Knackered the shocker n the drop link and the hub due to being left so long, so if these bits concern you @mattwlkr go elsewhere for a second opinion or just DIY it mate if it doesn't feel right to you then follow your instincts you know the vehicle Better like our focus I'll be changing the rear shockers as there making a noise which was covered up by the front making noise, as you say it's swaying a bit to me it sounds like you have anti roll bar bush problem..

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club