Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chipping - is it worth it?

NSP1

Hi, 

Just as the title suggests really.

I have the mk3.5  1.5 Focus and am  a bit disappointed in the power. 

I rang Superchips and for £365 I get 30 more horsepower. 

I was wondering, not knowing about these things, will I notice much of a difference? Superchips dsy there would - but they would wouldn’t they. 

Can I get your thoughts?

Would a K&N change things?

Thanks

I also have the 1.5 diesel, not petrol. Mine is a powershift, sounds like yours could be the same as the diesel manual only gains 18bhp as far as I know. The BHP isn’t the figure to look at if you are wanting more mid range ‘go’, you need to look at the torque figures and from memory a remap will take you up to 350nm. You should notice this improvement when going through the gears but top end speed isn’t going to change much. The 1.5 has a really narrow power band, running out of steam at around 3,500rpm. 

When did superchips tell you it would cost £365, at the moment it is on their website for £399 . I’m waiting for their next sale before I purchase my remap.

What engine/gearbox do you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got the 1.5 tdci duratorq 120ps. 

I get 13 extra horses not 30. I’ve just checked their website. Must have misheard the woman on the phone. I’m like you, not into racing just need a bit extra.

Got the 1.5 tdci duratorq 120ps. 

I get 13 extra horses not 30. I’ve just checked their website. Must have misheard the woman on the phone. I’m like you, not into racing just need a bit extra.

I think the woman may have quoted the figures for the Powershift rather than manual. I see you are planning to go for the option to have the remap done for you (going by the price you quoted), personally I would rather have the handset because there is more flexibility. You can’t take the map off whenever you want, like when it goes in for a service for example. Plus when you decide to sell the car you can take the map off, and ask the new buyer if he wants to buy it off you. If so you can put it back on and keep the handset and then remap your next car with the same handset. To map another car you then only have to pay for the map itself which is cheaper than starting over.

Have you spoke with your insurance company? Mine want an extra £6 a year lol.

bc79953941d999288765208ed769aee9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would Ford know though when I take it for a service? And would they care? I’m guessing it would be an issue if it went in for warranty issues but again, how would they know?

So with the bluefin, you can take it off & put back on when you like?

They would be able to tell if the vehicle had a map on it and I think they can do this quite easily. While they maybe wouldn’t care during a service I’m sure they would note it down, then if it came in for any warranty work they could reject a claim. Don’t get me wrong, they can still tell if a map has been taken on and off by looking at how many time the ecu has been flashed. But that takes more digging about. 

Thats right, you can install and remove the map as many times as you want. It is tied to the car so it will only go on your vehicle and cannot be shared with others. You just plug the handset into the car and it’s reads your cars ecu, then plug it in to your computer to download the details and then send them back to superchips via email. They then email the correct remap to you, so you can put it on the handset and flash the car.

Thanks for this.

just been digging about on eBay (as having a new baby plus the 1st service oil change warning message just having come on) to save a little bit of cash and people are selling them on there saying they can be reset for about £225. Just depends how much extra it is to get my vehicle on an old bluefin. 

I don’t know, just want it to be worth it if I do go ahead. Might have to save a few pennies and upgrade to the ST next. 

Hi,

If you have any issues with insurance for a chip, re-map or tuning box then please feel free to drop me a line. I'd be only too pleased to try and help out.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

With a diesel you be better off looking at the inter cooler. Cooler the air charge the greater the oxygen content the greater the power, I would try a bigger inter-cooler first as it may be cheaper. Also, have you cleaned the inter-cooler at all, it gets filled with crap, easy to do. Take it off and wash it through with Genkolene or petrol make sure it is empty of said fluids and leave to dry out for few hours.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club