Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Home CCTV advice

mustang86

Hey everyone. Just wondered if anyone here has a home CCTV system?

I've just brought a system with 4 cameras with access on the phone too. It doesn't have a hard drive for recording so looking at buying one.. bit haven't  clue about hard drives.. anyone able to help?

• Like 1

I use 2 of the I.P cameras so works on the same base as the Dash Cam with S.D card 64gb on a loop record and phone/pc/ipad access and also remote control.

Don't these use a normal laptop hard drive that will just slot into the system,it depends what set up it is as when i was looking ages ago i looked at these.

Depends on the system, which one have you got?

I was looking at those YI ones but didn't want to be tied into their proprietary subscription-based cloud software.

Still looking for a decent system for £200 ish that isn't a potato. Don't mind a bit or wiring so not bothered about them being super fancy. A way of pulling them up over LAN would be a bonus though, but only really want good picture quality.

But yes WD purple drives are meant for 24/7 use.

There may be a problem in installing a hard drive as some of these systems do not use NFTS or a version of FATxx, just like Sky or Freeview boxes they may use a system particular to that companies CCTV

• Like 1

It's a non specific eBay buy so no brand name as such.  It's a NVR system and the cameras use Wi-Fi to a mini screen. You can also view from the app on the phone. It does mention a HDD in the manual but like I say I clueless about that kind of thing 😂 

If you've still got a link to the item then post it. It's almost certain that you just need to get a normal HDD though the WD Purples are built for NVR use and cost a bit more than the HDDs you would chuck into a PC.

Once the HDD is installed you would then just normally run the format/setup on the NVR so that it recognises the HDD.

Unless your NVR is ancient and uses the old IDE connectors or requires 2.5" drives, then it will just require any SATA drive (preferably one designed for 24/7 use). They can all be formatted to any required file system. Even sky boxes etc. just use regular 3.5" SATA drives.

• Like 1

Hi mustang86

Looking at the specs I see that the operating system is Embedded linux OS  and it has a USB connection. ie: Backup:USB backup

You would need a  Hard Drive in an external with a USB connection and I would say a size of 1TB which would usually come formatted as NFTS. As the operating system is Embedded Linux I am not sure how it would see the hard drive once it is plugged in without seeing what is in the manual about a drive drive. Its over ten years since I dabbled with a Linux OS.

Link posted just took me to the eBay login screen. Not to worry, used the item number to find it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Wireless-960P-4CH-LCD-CCTV-Camera-Kit-WiFi-Monitor-Home-System-Night-Security/292423271621?hash=item4415c904c5:g:OI4AAOSwj1haaaL0

Doesn't give much to go on unfortunately. The only reference to the HDD is SATA which is the connection type. Size wise, it looks in the picture as if it's a 3.5" drive so you can choose from anything up to 4TB in capacity.

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/hard-drives-internal/sata-iii-500gb-6tb-av

***EDIT***

The more I look at the picture, the more I think that the HDD size is 2.5" and is a laptop type drive. If this is the case they you're looking at something like this:

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/hard-drives-internal/sata-iii-25inch

2 minutes ago, eddie eastwood said:

Hi mustang86

Looking at the specs I see that the operating system is Embedded linux OS  and it has a USB connection. ie: Backup:USB backup

You would need a  Hard Drive in an external with a USB connection and I would say a size of 1TB which would usually come formatted as NFTS. As the operating system is Embedded Linux I am not sure how it would see the hard drive once it is plugged in without seeing what is in the manual about a drive drive. Its over ten years since I dabbled with a Linux OS.

This photo shows that there is room for an internal HDD to be fitted:

s-l1600.jpg

I would hazard a guess that once a HDD is fitted, the OS will allow it to be formatted for use appropriately (or there will be some setup process to do this).

Hi Zico

I used the item number to look at it but could not see a photo with that hatch place open, looking further at the specs it would seem you are right about being able to use an internal hard drive.  HDD Type:1*SATA interface,Max Capacity 4 TB 

Am  I right in thinking that would be a 2 inch drive then?

It does look more like a 2.5" drive than 3.5". Nothing more I can get from the description.

@mustang86 I would advise that you try and contact the seller to confirm the HDD size before spending any money. It's either 2.5" or 3.5" internal drive. If you have any spare HDD's to check then it may help to confirm size of the internal compartment.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your help. Is formatting a easy process?

3 hours ago, mustang86 said:

Thanks everyone for your help. Is formatting a easy process?

The device will format it for you when you power up after installing.

I had terrible experience with the chinese cctv systems from eBay, i returned two of them I purchased as the quality of the recordings was awful.

Thanks.. will get one ordered and hopefully all goes well 😊

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mustang86 said:

Thanks.. will get one ordered and hopefully all goes well 😊

If it doesn't automatically format it, there should be a setup menu for "Storage", from where you can format it, and setup the recording schedule, motion detect, etc.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Micro said:

The device will format it for you when you power up after installing.

I had terrible experience with the chinese cctv systems from ebay, i returned two of them I purchased as the quality of the recordings was awful.

7 hours ago, Micro said:

If it doesn't automatically format it, there should be a setup menu for "Storage", from where you can format it, and setup the recording schedule, motion detect, etc.

Excellent. Thank you. Have ordered one.. Fingers crossed it works 😀 or I can work it 😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mustang86 said:

Excellent. Thank you. Have ordered one.. Fingers crossed it works 😀 or I can work it 😂

Hope you have better luck with it than my experience.

On 4/14/2018 at 6:16 AM, mustang86 said:

Hey everyone. Just wondered if anyone here has a home CCTV system?

I've just brought a system with 4 cameras with access on the phone too. It doesn't have a hard drive for recording so looking at buying one.. bit haven't  clue about hard drives.. anyone able to help?

I'm soon to be installing a CCTV system myself,

One item which i have already purchased and fitted in preparation is a HDMI Modulator, 

as saw in my home improvement thread here:

They take in a HDMI feed and broadcast it on a digital channel of your choice in full 1080P High definition, you can even name the channel whatever you want.

The module has an aerial in and aerial out 

It filters the aerial to include it's own channel among the other stations,

It's ideal if you have a number of television's in the house which you would like to be able to view the CCTV on, Alternatively you can use it to broadcast a DVD player around the house or anything with a HDMI output. 

I've got two of them fitted, one for CCTV and the other is for the blueray player in the living room to share it throughout the house. 

Link: http://www.freetv.ie/hdmi-modulator/

20180204_180808_zps4duc6ohw.thumb.jpg.9339a3a4b2a97dab72af594aaeefacc1.jpg 

20180204_180851_zpslxmktvsj.thumb.jpg.9692c8b62fab19ab42ac9073487d7639.jpg

20180204_180152_zpsb75n1ylw.thumb.jpg.bc618cfb7564f8cf3afd3c224ea0f012.jpg

20180329_180911_zpsxutbw5y1.thumb.jpg.0e99a39a0efa41221afbea3fc3495d29.jpg

20180406_233305_zpsfhya7emk.thumb.jpg.3bb0c29c3595ca1a9c7af73e2b4e62ff.jpg

• Like 2

Forgot to mention;

Saw the best disguised camera today;

Its not a real owl it's a camera 😀 saw the head twitching like an electronic motor 

Never know whoo hoo's watching 😅

20180418_093738.thumb.jpg.c0fd5b79f20c08def40b1130097d90d3.jpg

• Haha 1