Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Change oil soon plus check oil low warning..

Mike's living on the Edge

13,000 miles and 18 months old, my Edge Sport popped up the Change Engine oil Soon warning on the dash. No worries, I'm keen on keeping the oil fresh in my vehicles and 18,000 from new to the first change feels like a long time. 

Thing is, I also got an oil Low Check Level warning almost immediately after. I checked the level and it was on the minimum on the dipstick. After topping up the oil I was still getting both messages when I started up from cold but not when starting from warm.... only the Change Oil warning from cold, even though the oil is on the top of the dipstick level. 

I left it for a day to see what would happen.. still getting both messages then reset the Remaining Oil Life in the vehicle settings and hey presto, not only did the Change Oil Soon warning go (as expected), the low oil warning also stopped popping up ! No warnings now and the car is booked for in for the first service in a week.

Anyone else seen this? Does the low engine oil warning message only stop coming up after resetting the Remaining Oil Life even after topping it up?

The change oil soon light is on ours now but it has 17,500 miles on it, never had the low oil light (and I do check oil but has never used any!)

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/04/2018 at 6:22 PM, Mike's living on the Edge said:

13,000 miles and 18 months old, my Edge Sport popped up the Change Engine Oil Soon warning on the dash. No worries, I'm keen on keeping the oil fresh in my vehicles and 18,000 from new to the first change feels like a long time. 

Thing is, I also got an Oil Low Check Level warning almost immediately after. I checked the level and it was on the minimum on the dipstick. After topping up the oil I was still getting both messages when I started up from cold but not when starting from warm.... only the Change Oil warning from cold, even though the oil is on the top of the dipstick level. 

I left it for a day to see what would happen.. still getting both messages then reset the Remaining Oil Life in the vehicle settings and hey presto, not only did the Change Oil Soon warning go (as expected), the low oil warning also stopped popping up ! No warnings now and the car is booked for in for the first service in a week.

Anyone else seen this? Does the low engine oil warning message only stop coming up after resetting the Remaining Oil Life even after topping it up?

Hi All

I have been getting the "Change oil Soon" display as well (car currently at 14275 miles), came on one day after my car last in for warranty work.

Went in to dealers to query as also oil low warning display coming up occasionally (wanted dealer to check for any leaks, as sometimes got oil smell from engine area, nothing detected).

I check my oil about once a month on average. Even though oil low level display showing, oil level on dipstick at maximum on a level surface, whether engine hot or cold.

Though I bought my car August 2016, it was built March 2016, and dealer explained that the two years are taken from build date, not purchase date.

Which ties in with the two year recommended service schedule on these cars (it does not seem like I have had my Edge for nearly two years, but it is nearly mid 2018).

That makes sense to me as this would be when the car's computer/electronics would have been first connected.

Car booked in for 1st service next week (dealer quoted me £239.00 all in for this, which includes 1 year breakdown, etc cover (similar to Rac, Aa, Greenflag, Etc)).

I am going to query why low oil warning being shown, when oil level at maximum on dipstick.

Dave

• Like 1

I had a chat with my brother (Land Rover mechanic for the last 25 years) and he told me about the new oil monitoring systems on modern cars. Apparently, the driving style can also reduce the amount of time recommended between oil changes. If you poodle around in slow stop-start traffic, the change oil light can come on much earlier than if you are on steady long runs all the time. Makes sense since the oil will break down faster under harsh conditions. The new systems can also measure the viscosity of the oil and see when it is losing it's goodness.

Personally, I like to change the oil regularly, so happy for all the new gizmos to let me know what is happening in real time. 

You can reset the oil warning on the car's settings so it should stop popping up if it is just "time between changes" based. I did it on mine and not seen another warning. The car is booked in for the first service next week (at 14,000). 

Update for you on my Edge - My local dealer thinks the service interval date has been set incorrectly in the factory... they seemed pretty sure making me think it is a known problem. I think Dave maybe onto something with the build date on the ECU rather than the delivery date. Mine was built in Canada (as they all are??) so it would have been put together a few months before it hit the UK.

Anyway, it's booked in for a couple of weeks time and they are going to take a look and set the service interval dates correctly. 

I'll get the first service done while it's in there (at around 14,000) saving me booking it in again in a few months. 

Hi All

As I said I would, here is the reuslts of first service. These results are as stated on service receipt :-

12000 Mile/24 Month service

oil, oil Filter, oil Gasket (Sump Plug presumably), Oil Odour Filter (new one on me wiil have to check up)

I opted to have the recommended brake fliud change (as I got a gold smart card discount on service price charge)

My Edge was also given a complete free health check of which the following points were noted as would need attention soon :-

Osr Tyre Bridgestone 235/55/19 4mm tread depth

Nsr Tyre Bridgestone 235/55/19 4mm tread depth

I am going to query the tyres when car goes in for another warranty booking as my fronts are the Bridgestones (had changed the other week) but rear tyres are the original Continentals.

I will ask how attentive the technicians are when doing service, as they did not notice different tyres front and rear.

I will ask again about oil level on dipstick showing as full though management system said needed topping up before service.

Dealers could not answer this when I picked up my car after service, so they would have had enough time to formulate an answer for me by time car goes in for warranty work.

I will query the 12000 Miles/24 Monthly service schedule, by asking do Fmc expect motorists to cut down vehicle use (I think the average yearly mileage is now about 14000).

Anyway, have also been given a free years breakdown recovery (same terms as Rac, Aa, Etc), as they promised when quoting my service price, of which they did stick to, no hidden extra's.

As Mike said, My Edge too was built in Ontario, Canada

I queried my dealers several times about the Ford quoted servcie schedules for my Edge, they assured me that these new schedules of 24 months are the new correct going rates.

Seems a bit long to me as well, when you consider the vast majority of cars were always 12000 miles/12 monthly.

For the next warranty issue, after reading on these forums about the auto relock feature (that I had totally forgotten about), checked my car, it too does not auto relock.

Queried with original salesman just to make sure it should (incase for whatever reason Fmc did not fit) repsonse was yes, it should have this.

Lets see how I get on with this issue.

Will post outcome of this.

Dave

On 5/5/2018 at 11:31 AM, DavesEdge said:

For the next warranty issue, after reading on these forums about the auto relock feature (that I had totally forgotten about), checked my car, it too does not auto relock.

Queried with original salesman just to make sure it should (incase for whatever reason Fmc did not fit) repsonse was yes, it should have this.

Think Ford in Houndmills, Basingstoke fixed this on my Sync 2 car if that helps. Tell them to talk to the techs there.

Good luck getting a dealer to reconfigure BCMI to correct the auto relock fault. Ford will not cover this under warranty unless there is another BCMI fault in the system - their stance is that the there is nothing wrong with the car. I’ve had two separate dealers (and Ford CRC) all say the same and refuse the reconfigure...

45 minutes ago, xn85 said:

Good luck getting a dealer to reconfigure BCMI to correct the auto relock fault. Ford will not cover this under warranty unless there is another BCMI fault in the system - their stance is that the there is nothing wrong with the car. I’ve had two separate dealers (and Ford CRC) all say the same and refuse the reconfigure...

Whereas I had mine reconfigured without any fuss.

22 hours ago, kelvin1950 said:

Think Ford in Houndmills, Basingstoke fixed this on my Sync 2 car if that helps. Tell them to talk to the techs there.

Pity I'm no where near Basingstoke..............Evans Halshaw (Preston & Chorley) state there is no way of configuring the auto relock on my Sync 2 2016 build Edge Sport as it wasn't built with auto relock & neither were any other "early" build Edges (to quote them) & Ford Technical have also reaffirmed this (apparently) after EH raised a service enquiry with them. EH were/are incapable (or didn't want to) of speaking to Think Ford in Houndmills so I have now given up chasing!

On 5/8/2018 at 3:59 PM, Yetiman65 said:

Pity I'm no where near Basingstoke..............Evans Halshaw (Preston & Chorley) state there is no way of configuring the auto relock on my Sync 2 2016 build Edge Sport as it wasn't built with auto relock & neither were any other "early" build Edges (to quote them) & Ford Technical have also reaffirmed this (apparently) after EH raised a service enquiry with them. EH were/are incapable (or didn't want to) of speaking to Think Ford in Houndmills so I have now given up chasing!

EH Blackpool have said exactly the same thing. I spoke to the technician at Think Ford, who had got auto relock working on a few 2016 Edges. He confirmed that he had reconfigured the BCMI and this allowed auto relock to be enabled. Ford Technical apparently say that this can’t be done... 

Since putting my remote fob in a leather pouch, wrapped in aluminium foil, I am unable to unlock the car unless I am within a couple of feet of the door. This has totally eliminated accidental unlocks, making auto relock no longer an issue for me. Why I need to put my key into a makeshift Faraday cage is another matter though...

• 2 months later...

I’ve had the ‘change oil soon’ warning on the dash for a couple of weeks. 14k and 18 months in so not at service time yet. This has just changed to ‘oil changed required’. A great deal of my driving is short journeys and my dealer has said this makes the car request oil changes sooner than the service intervals. I’ve checked and topped up the oil and booked the car in. Dealer says as long as there is plenty oil, then no damage should result.  Can’t get booked in till after my holidays, but I won’t do much more mileage before then anyway. 

Edited by Edge of Reason
Spelling

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club