Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2006 Focus - worth fixing?

Ryoka

Hi all,

I purchased a 2006 Ford Focus Estate 1.6 Diesel, 150k on the clock in 2017. Within two months it ended up coming off the road with turbo failure and also, from a mechanics investigation, lack of servicing caused the pipes (don’t know which one) to seize as the oil was described to be tar like. The car inturn packed up and has since been asleep on my drive!

After almost 5 months, I’ve just managed to get a £400 payout from the dealership which is classed as some form of contribution.

I am just wondering if it is worth putting the money back in to the car, or just scrap it (been quoted £160 scrap) and cut my loss? Baring in mind the engine appears to have suffered.

Thanks guys

Scrap it and buy mine instead :wink:

But seriously, it's a lot of work to rectify when they've blocked with carbon and blown a turbo.  At that age and mileage, I would really doubt it's worth fixing.  I've been doing 6k oil changes to avoid these issues, as do many others on here.

it's a well known problem with those cars. you could replace the turbo and it will fail again. I think a lot of people would replace the turbo and sell it on quick, but it's not really a good thing to do to offload the problem on someone else. But that might be what was done on the one you bought. A lot of people look at problems too simplistically. Turbo fails, replace the turbo, but the cause of the failure needs investigating and fixing. Some people say it needs cleaning out with flushing oil. but others say using flushing oil loosens up more of the crud that causes more problems. I don't know which is best advice on that point. 

I would say unless you can do the work yourself  (replace turbo, take sump off etc) it is not worth putting more money into it. 

• Like 2

Get rid of it now!!

I was in the same back in 2016.

Bought a cmax 1.6tdci.

Turbo blew 2 weeks later due to the last owner not giving a toss about the car which in turn destroyed the engine.

I replaced engine and turbo. Engine that was put in was pure crap. I've spend at least 2-3 times the value of the car in 2 Years and I'm still having issues with it.

Cut your losses unless your a mechanic but even my mechanic got sick of seeing it!!!

Thanks guys.. I’m gutted, even though I drove it for a short time, I really liked the practicality of it! Plus my insurance dropped haha. 

The mechanic advised me, as did the AA, that chances are it’s in need of a new engine also. I’m not mechanically minded so I can only presume the damage is bad. I just need to get my £40 Diesel out of it before scrap!!

Back to my 2ltr Titanium (and insurance bump!)

On 16/04/2018 at 10:49 PM, Ryoka said:

Thanks guys.. I’m gutted, even though I drove it for a short time, I really liked the practicality of it! Plus my insurance dropped haha. 

The mechanic advised me, as did the AA, that chances are it’s in need of a new engine also. I’m not mechanically minded so I can only presume the damage is bad. I just need to get my £40 Diesel out of it before scrap!!

Back to my 2ltr Titanium (and insurance bump!)

Unfortunately the DV6 1.6 diesel (Peugeot based) engine is well known for the issue you've had, I don't envy your financial pain economy wise having to go back to the 2 litre Duratec (at least it doesn't have a cambelt to change)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club