Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre/road noise

Oldster

My car has 17 inch 215/50 Michelin Primacy tyres, but as I recall it Ford were also fitting other makes in late 2016.

I find my car noisy on some surfaces and wonder whether anyone with the same size wheels and tyres of a different make can speak to a less noisy ride.

Thanks.

Chas

its the road surface type and not your tyres so nothing to worry about :smile:

Thanks for the reply.

It's not so much worry as annoyance - driving over mile after mile of poor quality dual carriageway gets tiring. I know that some makes of tyre produce less road noise than others even on poor surfaces and (looking quite a few miles ahead) wonder what I might replace my Michelins with and whether anyone has experience of any of the others Ford uses on a Titanium X, ie a 50 profile tyre..

Chas

If you search any tyre company. Ie kwik fit. It shows road noise of all tyres. Generally about 70db

Thanks for the responses.

What I was hoping for someone to say was something like: "I've got exactly the same car as you but with XXX tyres and I find it not too noisy at all." Very subjective, I accept, but the 3 criteria on the tyre sales websites are only as reliable as what? Car manufacturers' figures for fuel consumption?

If you want to get a bit OCD about this have a look at this site -

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

You can put in the figures for your car and compare it with others. I'm beginning to wonder whether one of the key issues with a tyre isn't its width. It's surprising how even a low profile tyre will have a reasonable depth of sidewall and that's because the tyre is wide. And that must mean more rubber in contact with the road. I appreciate that's the idea but it must have a consequence.

I'm no tech so this is just a guess.

Chas

• 1 year later...

Hi... resurrecting an oldish thread here....

Have the same car as the OP 'Oldster'.... same tyres and same loud road noise. Find the car very tiresome to drive on most stretches of the motorway, purely due to the road noise.

Is Oldster/Chas still here, and if so, did you (or anyone else) resolve the noise issue by changing to a different brand of tyre?

Thanks.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club