Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Ford Edge 13 months on.......

Yetiman65

I've had the Edge (210 Sport) for just over 12 months now so thought I'd share my experiences so far.....

In summary I do like the car, I had an ST3 before which was an excellent (fast) car & I still gaze at the RS which I'll buy (as a second car) if my lottery numbers come up, yes I do miss the acceleration :-)

Anyway The Edge:

Mileage is at around 12000, i had the Ford "Health Check" for £39.99 but mainly to get another 12 months breakdown cover but they do check "everything" over, the only amber warning was for the front NS tyre which is nearing its end of life.

I yet again asked them to look into the Auto Relock which isn't configured for my August 2016 build Edge & yet again I'm told "early build Edges don't have the Auto Relock & there is nothing they can do to configure it" & that was after they raised a technical request to Ford so heyho I've given up on that one just like xn85 probably has?

I've also experience some wind noise from the driver's door (it's at right ear height as if the window is slightly open & noticeable at speeds over 30-40mph) which has been present since new & Ford have previously replaced door seals & scratched their heads but never resolved it so it is now booked into the body shop next week for them to realign the door to cure it (I hope). Apparently "wind noise" is still covered under the Ford warranty but they did point out wind noise at speeds over 70mph isn't covered which kind of makes sense I suppose.

One disappointment has been the mpg which has averaged 33mpg but I have now accepted that using the car for short start/stop runs hasn't helped improve this. I have noticed a pick up on the mpg when I've done a good long motorway run but like I say I do few of them.

So would I buy again?

I got a very good deal on the car in March 2017, which had a load of extras including the excellent  adaptive LED lights, but mainly as it was a Aug 2016 build & EH wanted to shift it. It is Sync 2 but from what I've read that isn't such a bad thing after all - updating the SatNav maps via an eBay purchase of an F6 card was much easier than trying all the Sync3 map update options which appears to be giving Sync3 owners trouble? I very much doubt I'd be able to replace the car like for like at the price I paid so that would be a big consideration when deciding to buy again but 2 years is a long time in the car world so I'll see what's available then. But if I was thinking about buying an Edge today I would if the price was right & I didn't have the wait the 6 months plus for a custom build as I definitely would want most of the extras I have on my current Edge.

I’m also 13 months in with 13000 miles- although I haven’t bothered with the 12 month service- it will go in at 18000 miles.

im also a focus RS owner so the Edge never has to be quick. 

Overall i I really like the Edge- but I don’t think I love it. Don’t think I’d buy another one, not because there’s anything wrong with it but it’s just not special enough to stop me trying something else next. Saying that the current plan is to keep it for at least 5 years. 

Positive. Still quite rare- see very few about.

comfortable 

i think it’s quite quick and nimble for the size of it

love the spec and various features 

Negatives 

standard headlights are stupidly bad 

It sometime feel too big. Probably because it is! 

I note your tyre wear- that could get expensive! 

Yetiman, I totally agree with your comments about the Edge. I have given up on getting the Auto Relock sorted, although a local independent did have a good go at getting Ford to ok them trying a BCM recalibration, though without success. I’ve solved the accidental unlocking issue by wrapping my remote fob in aluminium foil and putting it in a leather pouch! How ridiculous for a £40k car! 

Other problems? Not really. I keep closing the drivers door on my leg, which really hurts and I think the wrap under is not a great design. Dirt collects there and I anticipate some drainage problems in the future... I’ve done 7500 miles and am averaging about 33.5mpg in stop / start traffic, although steady motorway runs can achieve almost 50mpg. I had expected more...

My standard halogen lights have been upgraded to Philips Xtreme Vision (H7) and Osram Night Breaker (H15) which offer significant improvements for £40 outlay. I’ve fitted Climair wind deflectors which reduce buffeting when rear windows are down, without any increase in wind noise when windows are closed. They really look good on the Edge! I’ve also acquired some genuine Ford roof bars from eBay which are nice and quiet at motorway speeds...

Would I buy again? I don’t know. My car sat on the forecourt at EH next to a silver Edge (now Yetiman’s) and being a 2016 build in Bronze Fire I was offered a fabulous deal. Given the choice of Kuga ST Line, or Edge Sport with Powershift, for the same monthly payment, I chose the Edge. I’m still really happy with my choice. The Edge is really comfortable, smooth and looks fabulous. I absolutely love the colour and the exclusivity. Unless I get offered another fabulous deal, I cannot see me being able to afford to replace it with another Edge in 2 years time, though cannot think of any other realistic alternative...

CACA40C6-C1BD-4815-9314-9063617D0FED.jpeg

Hi All

20 Months on, still a few warranty problems getting sorted out, but have 3 years total warranty on my car.

I think that as I bought my Edge, not long after the Uk launch, thereby making it an early model could be one of the reasons for the catalogue of problems that I have encountered.

I have really enjoyed my Edge, and still am enjoying it.

Am getting 37-38mpg fuel economy, with mostly round town driving.

On way home from work there is a short stretch of road that I can open it up on, I do this about twice a week, depending on conditions.

Yes, it is a slightly larger car than most around making parking a problem sometimes, I am still to try the auto park systems on my one.

Even though my dealer says they have sold many of these, I still don't see that many around.

I was given a free health check, with all the benefits from my dealer, so saved a bit of money there.

Front tyre wear has been a problem, my car had softer compound Continentals all round fitted as factory standard.

As my local (trusted) tyre fitter explained to me. He was seeing more in the way of tyre wear due to the growing popularity of Suv's.

I had two Bridgestone tyres fitted on the front, being a slightly harder compound tyre. Will see how long these last.

As to the interior, I have the Lux pack option with leather, full length sun roof, etc.

The front seats are climate controlled, as in are heated and have air con built into them, the rear seats are heated.

The front seats are fully electrically adjustable, with 3 memory positions for the drivers seat. The rear seats can be reclined.

On long journeys, my kids make use of the 240v socket in the rear of the centre console, as well as using the 12v socket.

My wife makes use of the illuminated vanity mirror in the sun visor, have yet to use my one (no I am not vain).

The interior heating does get too hot for me, so the dual zone front climate controls comes into use and is quite effective.

Onto ride comfort, part of my work commute takes me over some fairly "bumpy" road conditions.

In my previous car these could be felt through the car, but the Edge seems to glide over these bumps like a hovercraft.

I have not experienced any wind noises whilst driving, to date.

Being in a slightly higher seated position, lets you see over some hedges down country lanes, in my opinion.

My wife finds it easier to get into/out of my car (she is currently on the waiting lists for knee replacement surgery).

It has given a few drivers a bit of a shock as to being nimble/quick from a red traffic light for my cars size.

When you see them pull into the outside lane, and you feel like having a laugh (I always take road/other conditions into account).

I have noticed that having a Ruby Red coloured car seems to make it invisible to some other drivers.

My standard headlights have been ok so far (I did look at/still am looking at changing to Led).

The auto main beam works ok. I even had someone flash me when I was driving on dipped beam one night.

I will be trying out the parking aids (auto park as I think of it (I know it is still partially manually controlled)), cruise control, etc.

For me this is a matter of going out to try these. I have three years (well about 1.5 years left) of warranty so no great rush.

All in all I think my Edge is a good car. Even though I have had a few problems with my one (see other posts I have made).

On the question of would I buy another, who knows what the future holds, but I got my car at a real can't really refuse it, bargain price.

To replace my car like for like, going by todays specs, I would have to get a Vignale model, but still drop a couple of extra's.

Dave

On 4/20/2018 at 9:32 AM, Yetiman65 said:

I've also experience some wind noise from the driver's door (it's at right ear height as if the window is slightly open & noticeable at speeds over 30-40mph) which has been present since new & Ford have previously replaced door seals & scratched their heads but never resolved it so it is now booked into the body shop next week for them to realign the door to cure it (I hope). Apparently "wind noise" is still covered under the Ford warranty but they did point out wind noise at speeds over 70mph isn't covered which kind of makes sense I suppose.

After a visit to the Ford bodyshop last week this was resolved by them adjusting the driver's door, no more wind noise :-)

• 1 month later...

Regarding MPG, i am getting around 33 to 34 mpg so short runs only. Done two longer runs and got around the higher thirties, car has only done 8000, so not yet really run in.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club