Do Not Sell My Personal Information

oil consumption

Alienburt

Just checked my dipstick and oil level is down to halfway after 2000 miles - is this normal?

Cold or hot engine?

My oil level dropped to just over half quite soon after I got my Edge, though has remained at that level ever since! My old Kuga did the same...

oil consumption can be higher when a vehicle is new.  once everything beds in it should improve.   

• 4 years later...

Mine had oil change with 52000 mile service, on Friday the oil warning light came on after just 1200 miles. Took it back to the main dealer who did it said bring it back in another 1000 miles to watch its consumption, I wont be keeping the car if that is the case every 1000 miles, what a money making racket!!!!!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bobby Dazzler said:

Mine had oil change with 52000 mile service, on Friday the oil warning light came on after just 1200 miles. Took it back to the main dealer who did it said bring it back in another 1000 miles to watch its consumption, I wont be keeping the car if that is the case every 1000 miles, what a money making racket!!!!!

mmm... so if your premise is correct, after 52,000 miles, it's had to be topped up with oil 51 times? Do you have to take it back to the dealer just to check the oil, or is that something you think you can tackle yourself? 

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

StephenFord, I know how to check the oil, add oil etc, my point was after just having a service the warning light coming on when no one explained that this happens! If this is normal I will do it myself. I thought it was not correct after only a short time and little distance covered.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

There is no way the car should need topped up with oil after only 1000 of a service, unless of course that the garage either didn’t put enough oil in at service, or didn’t run the engine and recheck the oil level.  If it needs oil every 1000 miles, then it’s either mixing with coolant or it’s being burnt of in the engine, in which case you’ll be getting a huge plume of smoke from the exhaust on acceleration. 

• Like 1