Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spark plug choices!!

Jordan99

Hi all, so it’s that time of year again where the cars due it’s service

Usually i would buy the first (and usually cheapest) spark plugs that pop up in the europarts search bar. I’ve decided to actually look at all the different types you can get. Bad mistake! Lol. Too many! 

Can anyone recommend the best spark plugs for my car, Focus 2005 1.6 petrol. 

Cheers guys! 

796DE0BB-1E29-466F-9018-8C532C88B6BB.jpeg

I bought my set from a Ford seller on eBay, genuine Ford ones. I fitted them when I got the car in September 2015, been in since car has done about 25,000 in that time with no issues at all.

Don't trust ECP to show you the right plugs...they just show you every plug they have, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to sell you glow plugs for a petrol. :tongue: 

I tend to go with NGK or Bosch for sparks unless you can get the genuine ones at a good price.  They should last 30k+.

i was thinking of getting the Bosch 4 ones  the ones with 4 electrods any good

1 minute ago, mrmetallica said:

i was thinking of getting the bosch 4 ones  the ones with 4 electrods any good

Personally I'd avoid multi electrodes.  The spark can still only jump between one of the electrodes.  So all the other 3 do is block the flame spread from that spark.

In theory, they should last longer, because as one electrodes wears and the gap increases, the spark will use the next electrode with a shorter distance.

In reality, on the road you probably wont notice any difference either way so it's your choice. :biggrin: 

Apart from the choice for a certain brand/type of spark plug the spark plug gap is much more important.

Most spark plug types are used for several brands/types of cars with different engines. Some of the original Ford spark plugs for example are used for several different engine types. The spark plug gap however is usually different between the different engine types. Spark plugs are supplied pre-gapped at a certain value. However this does not nescessarily mean tht this value is correct. The spark plug gap always needs to be checked and adjusted if nescessary.

The prescribed spark plug gap for the 1.6 Duratec petrol engine is 1.2 mm. I recommend the NGK TR5B-13 for this type of engine. These are pretty inexpensive and I have never had any problems with these plugs (I installed lots of these plugs). The NGK TR5B-13 is supplied pre-gapped at 1.3 mm and needs to be re-adjusted to 1.2 mm before installation. 

• Like 2

What’s the difference between these spark plugs? Other than £10 price difference? Google isn’t telling me much on explaining the ‘type’ of plug that’s in the photos..

8D188771-6D9E-4C7A-A757-1D2733FFCEBC.png

487514D8-C5D3-4488-8617-922882DF161C.png

85501165-ECCE-40D8-9C11-154494B74F4E.png

Bosch HR 8 MCV+ is a standard nickel alloy spark plug.

Bosch HR 7 NI 332 W (discontinued) is an iridium alloy spark plug. This spark plug is recommended for LPG/CNG versions.

The Ford OE plugs are simply rebadged NGK iridium ones. The part numbers printed on them are identical, the only difference is that Ford ones have FoMoCo printed on the insulator and the NGK ones have an NGK logo. 

Ford sells both the FoMoCo and the Motorcraft spark plugs. 

FoMoCo spark plugs are (depending on the spark plug type) produced by either NGK or Denso. These are the spark plugs that are factory fitted.

Motorcraft spark plugs are offered by Ford as a cheaper alternative for the FoMoCo spark plugs. Motorcraft spark plugs are usually produced by Bosch

In the past I have seen a lot of problems with the Bosch/Motorcraft spark plugs for the 1.6 Duratec Petrol engine. Since then I only used NGK or FoMoCo spark plugs.

My Duratec HE had FoMoCo branded NGKs in. I've replaced them with some Denso plugs the local factors had on offer. I never knew that Denso were a Ford OE supplier as well. 

12 hours ago, rhyds said:

The Ford OE plugs are simply rebadged NGK Iridium ones.

Are they really, and I was going to get a set of iridium plugs for my Duratec HE next, but you recon my Ford OE set are already iridium, that's good to know.

Is there any way of confirming if that is the case, markings etc ?

3 hours ago, wilto said:

Are they really, and I was going to get a set of iridium plugs for my Duratec HE next, but you recon my Ford OE set are already iridium, that's good to know.

Is there any way of confirming if that is the case, markings etc ?

If you look at the FoMoCo plugs they'll have a part number on them (in my case it was TR6AP-13). If you have a look at the NGK site (https://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/car_commercial_extra.php?id=14522) you'll find the NGK plugs have the same part number. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club