Sign in to follow this  
Kevh17

Mk6.5 Fiesta issues to sort out

Hi,

Just bought an 07-reg Fiesta today and I have some issues to sort out which weren't apparent on the test drive. 

The biggest one is the brakes are binding pretty severely after doing a 70-80% emergency stop. Straight after doing this they felt as if I'd actually had my foot on the brake still and had to dip the clutch to stop it stalling. Going to take it to a garage tomorrow but has anyone had this issue? The discs and pads are almost new and it seems the caliper isn't springing back.

Second, the fuel filler cap won't close as the key won't turn the lock. Can I pick up a new barrel to match the rest of my keys or is it a whole new set of locks?

Also there's no code for the stereo and the outside temperature gauge is pretty optimistic. It kept rising while I was driving, getting up to 26° where it was only 20° at the most. Can I get a new sensor or is there anywhere online I can get a code? Prefer to avoid paying for the code if I can.

Thanks

Been a while since I got one, but have a search on ebay you can usually get a code for a couple of pounds or less. Check its not been written in the audio book or logbook/service book etc, think you need the serial number from on the radio for which you press a couple of buttons (1 and 6 possibly) on the modern ford radio's to access this serial number to send off to get your code. 

Thanks. £1 free eBay and only took a few minutes.

Gearbox also feels fairly stiff. Thought it was me just being used to our Focus 1.6 e/b but the more I've driven it, the heavier it seems to feel but reading about it, it sounds fairly common

when I had my mk6.5  the gearbox was getting a bit stiff after I had it a few years, I liberally oiled the linkage on the front of the gear box and this improved it. The linkage (where the 2 gear change cables attach to gearbox) are under a black plastic cover on the front of the gearbox. I recall quite easy to get to if you go up under the front bumper

On 26/04/2018 at 8:22 AM, isetta said:

when I had my mk6.5  the gearbox was getting a bit stiff after I had it a few years, I liberally oiled the linkage on the front of the gear box and this improved it. The linkage (where the 2 gear change cables attach to gearbox) are under a black plastic cover on the front of the gearbox. I recall quite easy to get to if you go up under the front bumper

Thanks Isetta. I did this yesterday and managed to get it apart to put some copper grease on but it hasn't made any difference. All of the other guides/posts I've read on it say that solves it if it's stiff when warm but it happens from cold and sometimes it's worse than other times.

Any ideas on how to get to the mechanism from the gear stick end? Taking off the knob, gaiter and surround is the easy part but don't know whether to just grease this all up, with normal grease this time, or try to remove the stick to get right in.

The brake binding problem was fixed with a new caliper - £100.

I know of the problems when the gearbox warms up but this is happening more when it's been left. If it's being used more regularly then it isn't as bad. I did have the gear selector at the front of the gearbox apart and put some copper grease on there and freed it up a bit just as a precaution, although didn't get the stage of reaming the bush. 

I have also greased up where I could at the gearbox end with multi-purpose grease and it feel slightly better the day after, only to feel worse again after not driving again until this morning (wife has used it on Tuesday only so only used twice in nearly a week)

Thirdly, the gearbox oil was changed before I bought the car. If the wrong oil was used, would it only have an effect on 2 out of the 5 gears? 

Any other advice or suggestions are very welcome!