Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lowering Ford Focus

danzman1991

Hi,

What should I be considering when looking into lowering my car?

If I lowered on Coilovers, would I be able to adjust them so they make the car a standard height for when I come to sell on..

Also, does it affect the speedo or anything like that?

Thanks,

Dan.

Hi,

What should I be considering when looking into lowering my car?

If I lowered on Coilovers, would I be able to adjust them so they make the car a standard height for when I come to sell on..

Also, does it affect the speedo or anything like that?

Thanks,

Dan.

wouldnt bother the zetec has stiffer slightly lower springs as standard my mate has coilovers on his and he thinks mine handles better sure you get the look but each to there own also with it lowered and the speed bumps you will find as he did that youre bumper takes the brunt of it you will need the car retracked and if you go too low youll effect the camber making the handling even worse and eating tyres at the same time coilovers for a decent set are 200quid plus

wouldnt bother the zetec has stiffer slightly lower springs as standard my mate has coilovers on his and he thinks mine handles better sure you get the look but each to there own also with it lowered and the speed bumps you will find as he did that youre bumper takes the brunt of it you will need the car retracked and if you go too low youll effect the camber making the handling even worse and eating tyres at the same time coilovers for a decent set are 200quid plus

Is there no way to lower without affecting the handling?

Is there no way to lower without affecting the handling?

its trial and error realy with coilovers you have adjustment so when fitted you can adjust them till youre happy it will throw the tracking out slightly but you can have it redone the problems only start when you go too low maybe someone else whos lowered theirs can advise more up muy way its just not feasible ive got a ruddy great big speed hump stretching the whole way across the road each end of my street then 6 speed humps till i hit the main road another 5 after that then another 3 then in my mums street another 6 and if i go to the shop i have to go over 9 of the sods just to get there then the same back id espend more time adjusting than driving this is what my mates got http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEIGHT-ADJ-COILOVER-SUSPENSION-KIT-FORD-FOCUS-98-04_W0QQitemZ390148486339QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5ad6a974c3

just dont go too low or you might have a driveshaft pop out when your on full lock, not very handy.

i would also stay clear of cheap suspension kits as you will probably be bouncing all over the place before long.

personally i would find a kit with adjustable dampers, most shock kits on the market will make your car very hard on the bumps and without the adjustment its not gonna be comfy.

To be able to adjust them you'll need a proper adjusting kit. Most companies do 3 different types 1) stiffened fixed coilovers with stiffer lowered springs 2) stiffened springs with heigh adjustment and 3) stiffened springs with height and hard/softness Adjustment. Personally I'd always go for number 3 if you have the cash but for a decent make kit like pi bilstein Eibach spax etc your looking anywhere between £350 to £600. And I wouldn't go any lower than 40mm on the focus and that'd be the maximum. 30-35mm would be the recomended. Further more anything more than 30, maybe 35 on just springs on standard dampers will not be stiff enough and you're rear end will bounce all over the place when hammering it in corners if you catch a bump from previous experience. Also if you do go 35mm on just springs the original dampers won't hold out long if the cars done over 80-100k and you'd be better off changing them and for the money it'd cost it'd be near the same cost as option 1. Sorry for the long reply but hope it helps and not to conpliated.

Slug

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club