Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo 08 - Queries

Jamie Tees

Hi guys,

Recently upgraded from my last 07 focus to a 08 mondeo. Changed the radio to a android head unit, upgraded lights to LED's and replaced the rear disk brakes as they were pretty shot.

Couple of issues I didn't notice till I took away the car >.<

1. The drivers side door doesnt unlock / lock and the electric window doesn't work either. Is this some kind of regulator in the car? I don't want to take the door panel off till I know the problem / get the part. (It locks manually inside)  > Awaiting door module
  2. Weirdly the fuel cap doesn't lock / unlock with central locking either   > Easy fuel system 
  3. For some reason I can't unbuckle the headlight power socket, it's been broken before and unsure the best way to take it off as I need to replace the headlight as it has a slight crack in it
  4. Speakers on the drivers side front and back are blown, Going to replace them but i also want the tweeters working as well. I've seen some packs of Speakers stating they specifically will not work with the tweeters. Can anyone advise on the best type to get.
  5. I double locked the car the other day and I came back to the hazards flashing till I unlocked the car. Is this because it wasn't locked correctly because of issue #1 and #2 ??  > Seems to be, will know more after module is replaced.
  6. I know I can replace worn heated window buttons but when it comes to climate control is it easy enough to replace worn buttons or am I better off just get a new enough unit from a scrap dealer?

Apart from these niggly bits the car has been great, loving the space and the power from the 1.8 TDCI. Hope you guys can help resolve my little problems.

Also a couple of last questions you guys might be able to help me figure out?

• Does the cigarette lighters switch off after some time ? I noticed the LED lights go off fully after 10 minutes on the plates after switching off the car, weird they dont go off right away and they are rather dim wondered if the cigarette lighter goes off at the same point. I don't want the battery drained because I generally leave a USB adaptor in them.
  • If the car is switched to position 0 and you hit the indicator stalk it makes a melodic beep, does this have some hidden function that I'm not aware of ? <- Home lights

I've attached a couple of pics for you guys if you want to see the car :) 

30831182_10211771885994595_1644465046_n.jpg

30429358_10211771885874592_439239317_n.jpg

30429237_10211771885834591_1351088900_n.jpg

30776748_10211771885954594_1890527410_n.jpg

30422313_10211771885794590_2014532198_n.jpg

30430100_10211771886154599_1166034361_n.jpg

30784889_10211771886114598_1907201378_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a lot of electrical issues with that drivers door, is it a high mile car?  I would suggest there is a wiring fault with that door loom where the wires bend when the door is opened and closed.  But it's also worth checking the door module as well.

Does it have EasyFuel?  If so the outer flap doesn't need to lock.

Headlight plugs can be a pain if they're broken, there is a small locking tab that would usually get pressed when the plug is complete, easiest way to remove is to slide a thin screwdriver or similar over the tab being careful not to damage it further.

Hazards remain flashing after the alarm has gone off so yes that's probably due to the front door issue.

Not sure on audio upgrades.

The cig lighter does eventually go off but takes a while, best not to leave anything plugged in when you're not driving.

56 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Sounds like a lot of electrical issues with that drivers door, is it a high mile car?  I would suggest there is a wiring fault with that door loom where the wires bend when the door is opened and closed.  But it's also worth checking the door module as well.

Does it have EasyFuel?  If so the outer flap doesn't need to lock.

Headlight plugs can be a pain if they're broken, there is a small locking tab that would usually get pressed when the plug is complete, easiest way to remove is to slide a thin screwdriver or similar over the tab being careful not to damage it further.

Hazards remain flashing after the alarm has gone off so yes that's probably due to the front door issue.

Not sure on audio upgrades.

The cig lighter does eventually go off but takes a while, best not to leave anything plugged in when you're not driving.

It's not the drivers door its the rear door on drivers side. I checked the wiring all seems good. I've just ordered a door module.

How do I know if it's easy fuel? Doesn't say anything on it in relation to that.

The locking tab seems to be not there at all to be honest, I'll take a picture of it and upload it tomorrow.

Thanks for the other information :)

'Easy' fuel means no filler cap, ie, do you just shove the nozzle in to the filler pipe or do you take a cap off? I suspect the former. 

you got any fault codes (DTCs)? 

With the "Easy Fuel", the external flap SHOULD lock when you lock the car.  If the car is unlocked then it's normal for the "flap" to also be unlocked.

59 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

With the "Easy Fuel", the external flap SHOULD lock when you lock the car.  If the car is unlocked then it's normal for the "flap" to also be unlocked.

Some do, some don't...  Focus flaps don't lock and aren't described as 'locking' on ETIS.  Even if it 'should' on Mondeo's, it really doesn't need to due to the Easyfuel internals.

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Some do, some don't...  Focus flaps don't lock and aren't described as 'locking' on ETIS.  Even if it 'should' on Mondeo's, it really doesn't need to due to the Easyfuel internals.

That's odd because the external flap on my MK2 Focus definitely does lock when the car is locked.  I've locked the car without thinking a couple of times having got out to refuel and wondered why I couldn't open the fuel flap.

3 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

That's odd because the external flap on my MK2 Focus definitely does lock when the car is locked.  I've locked the car without thinking a couple of times having got out to refuel and wondered why I couldn't open the fuel flap.

Do you have Easy Fuel on a pre facelift?  I didn't think it came out until facelift on the Focii.  Mk2.5 and Mk3 definitely don't lock.

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Do you have Easy Fuel on a pre facelift?  I didn't think it came out until facelift on the Focii.  Mk2.5 and Mk3 definitely don't lock.

When I read the earlier posts I only paid attention to the locking of the external fuel flap part.

@TomsFocus You're correct in that my MK2 definitely doesn't have the full (capless) Easy Fuel system, mine still has a screw top fuel cap that needs removing if looking to fill up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1979Damian said:

When I read the earlier posts I only paid attention to the locking of the external fuel flap part.

@TomsFocus You're correct in that my MK2 definitely doesn't have the full (capless) Easy Fuel system, mine still has a screw top fuel cap that needs removing if looking to fill up.

Ah yeah, it's easy to syphon fuel or pour something in the tank with the screw cap.  EasyFuel internal flaps won't open for anything other than a perfectly sized fuel nozzle (or the adapter in the boot) so it's not seen as a safety or security issue to leave the flap unlocked. :smile:  Oddly, some of the much newer Fords have locking caps with easyfuel again, no one seems to know why... :laugh: 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ah yeah, it's easy to syphon fuel or pour something in the tank with the screw cap.  EasyFuel internal flaps won't open for anything other than a perfectly sized fuel nozzle (or the adapter in the boot) so it's not seen as a safety or security issue to leave the flap unlocked. :smile:  Oddly, some of the much newer Fords have locking caps with easyfuel again, no one seems to know why... :laugh: 

At least the ones that lock should stop a certain type of "person" from syphoning off someones expensive DERV.

Imagine if you'd just filled up (full tank) of premium DERV and when you went to drive to work the low fuel light was back on. :wacko:

To be honest I hadn't realised that some cars have a fuel flap that simply can't be locked.

But as I say, you can't syphon it off with the easy fuel system...  The internal flaps won't open if you try to put a pipe in there, it will only open for a diesel nozzle, stops thieves stealing fuel and stops fools putting petrol in a diesel.

Far easier to just stick a screwdriver through the side of the tank and drain it off that way anyway. :wink:

On 4/5/2018 at 5:53 PM, Dee_82 said:

'Easy' fuel means no filler cap, ie, do you just shove the nozzle in to the filler pipe or do you take a cap off? I suspect the former. 

you got any fault codes (DTCs)? 

Ah I see, well there is no cap to take off alright. No fault's at all on the computer and it hasn't been reset in 12,000 KM from the reading on the ECU. So I'll take it that it doesn't lock. Just kinda worried me as all the other fords I've had have always had a locking cap / door.

na, no need on the "easy" fuel setup. if someone tries to shove a pipe down there it wont work, well it will but only after a lot of faffing about which is about as complicated as prising a locked flap open.

just be careful of that system, on early versions which came with my 58 plate focus it had an old design on it with a rubber hose clipped down on the pipe, if you didn't get it in right it would pee fuel all over the floor. I jammed the plastic funnel in mine and on removing it i broke it. on the mk2 focus that means the entre rear subframe needs dropped. the newer design is better but I still dont trust it. I think the mondy is better but I cant be sure. my mondy wont be with me until next month. 

Thanks @Dee_82

Any idea on the worn climate control buttons? Has anyone ever replaced them? Or would it be better to just get a new climate control unit to replace the current one?

Also believe I have to replace my DMF and Clutch soon :/ Feck sake lol. Apart from that loving the car compared to my mk2 focus. Price of diesel cheaper here in ireland and MPG is wayyyyyy better. Getting up to 50 MPG currently.

You might be able to separate the button but you wont be able to find the buttons sold separately so you might as well just swap out the module. the separate buttons will be fine, loads of them about!

The DMF and clutch is going to be a royal pain in the ar$e sub frame needs removed. expect a big job!! is your box the MTX 75? 125HP or the 100?

3 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

You might be able to separate the button but you wont be able to find the buttons sold separately so you might as well just swap out the module. the separate buttons will be fine, loads of them about!

The DMF and clutch is going to be a royal pain in the ar$e sub frame needs removed. expect a big job!! is your box the MTX 75? 125HP or the 100?

125 HP, Love the engine tbh. I have a mate that owns a truck garage so the only price Ill have to pay is the DMF and the clutch but I know it's a cost. Ah well, after it's done the car will be good for another 100,000 mile lol.

It better be anyway, doing 2485 miles on avg a month

how many miles does she have on the clock?

My mates got the 1.8, its a bomber engine, noisy but solid. The car inside is night an day compared to my current 1.6 focus, Im picking up a 2.0 Mondeo soon too, knowing someone with a garage would be extremely handy, lots to do.  My 1.6 TDCI which is running at a shade under 140bhp just hit 131000 miles, the clutch is going, but not gone, the DMF is knocking but still functional, if treated well they do last a long time

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

how many miles does she have on the clock?

My mates got the 1.8, its a bomber engine, noisy but solid. The car inside is night an day compared to my current 1.6 focus, Im picking up a 2.0 Mondeo soon too, knowing someone with a garage would be extremely handy, lots to do.  My 1.6 TDCI which is running at a shade under 140bhp just hit 131000 miles, the clutch is going, but not gone, the DMF is knocking but still functional, if treated well they do last a long time

It has 134,000. I loved that I could pull my android head unit from my focus in to the mondeo. I pulled it out the day I traded it in on the forecort of the dealer I bought it from. Was funny to see his face when i said I'm putting in the standard radio and I ripped out the GPS wire and all the stuff for the head unit haha. He thought he was getting an awesome deal with a 300 euro + head unit in the car

• Haha 1

Haha, ill be doing the same, in fact its already out, she has been de modded (apart from the ones I cant be bothered to take off) :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dee_82 said:

Haha, ill be doing the same, in fact its already out, she has been de modded (apart from the ones I cant be bothered to take off) :)

On trying to trade in my focus at another dealer the guy got in to test drive it and told me there was a problem and said there was no power. It was a 1.4 focus.... ofc there is no power!! lol

lol, damn, didn't realise they had a 1.4 focus, shes a heavy lady for such a small engine! 

with the age of my focus itll be going straight to auction, ill be trading this old girl in with my partners 1.25 festa to get her a newer 1l ecoboost festa. When the cars get to a certain age they dont seem to bother with the whole checking the car thing. I traded in a corsa many moons ago that only worked for 15 min before turning off :D 

No problems I'm aware of here mate.. was all I told them. jobs a good-un

13 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

lol, damn, didn't realise they had a 1.4 focus, shes a heavy lady for such a small engine! 

with the age of my focus itll be going straight to auction, ill be trading this old girl in with my partners 1.25 festa to get her a newer 1l ecoboost festa. When the cars get to a certain age they dont seem to bother with the whole checking the car thing. I traded in a corsa many moons ago that only worked for 15 min before turning off :D 

No problems I'm aware of here mate.. was all I told them. jobs a good-un

Yeah, took a while to get her up to speed. Max I got was around 145 km/hr before she said feck off I'm not going any faster.

I loved my old fezza. Here is a few pictures of her. https://drive.google.com/open?id=16Z84YDVUuS3PwEZqdmXkurIHtJTYHJwb <-- Few pics of my prev 2 focuses too there as well

I crashed her unfortunatley but fixed her right back up after. Photos show damage and after repair :)

• Like 1

I bet, ill be getting this Mondeo mapped to 165-170, with the extra weight it should be a little faster than my 135 focus, the Mk2 focus is a pretty heavy girl as a hatchback, let alone a saloon!  So is the Mk2 your current 1.8 tdci? and the mk1 the 1.4? or is that mk2 a 1.4?! 

might want to edit out your plates on the pictures, just in case someone youd rather wasn't, is watching!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club