Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync 3 Update Help

DG97

Hello all,

I took a look on the Ford sync site and noticed my car’s software was out of date. I downloaded the zip file from the website, stuck it on an exFAT USB, plugged it into my car and that’s it. It said it had recognised the device and nothing else. Does anyone know if anything is meant to happen when it’s doing it?

I would have expected at the very least a notification saying update in progress or something. The Ford guide mentions that the system may reboot a couple of times which would obviously be a sign that something is going on. But, I gave it 15 mins and nothing rebooted or seemed to be happening.

Can anyone advise? The car is a MK8 Fiesta but I guess as it’s a Sync 3 specific thing that may be irrelevant. 

Thanks! 

Can you please post a photo of file structure of your usb stick?

Which usb port use used?

Was car running?

I too wondered why nothing was happening - put it in when you go for a drive - took ages before it said "done" for me

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boosteri said:

Can you please post a photo of file structure of your usb stick?

Which usb port use used?

Was car running?

Can’t get a photo at this moment but the unzipped file that has the VIN as the top level directory is placed in the root of the usb, no other files apart from the ford file for the update.

tried both front and under armrest, nothing seems to happen.

car was running.

i’ve followed instructions word by word I guess but it’s just there is nothing that you can use to gauge if anything is happening. 

2 hours ago, Tiexen said:

I too wondered why nothing was happening - put it in when you go for a drive - took ages before it said "done" for me

I thought that’d be the next thing to try, probably will try it on the way back from work as it’s a 35-40 minutes drive. It’s nice it’s a silent process but also annoying as you literally don’t get anything to say it’s going on or any % of progress etc. You’re just left guessing. What happens if you miss the notification saying done? Or is it one that stays on so you can’t miss it? I know the version info in the settings page will change but is there anything else?

Your usb stick should look like this, doesn't matter which port you use, it doesn't take long about 15 mins in my case, and no notifications once the process starts

A5817DA9-AD81-438B-AFBE-00A23B998128.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

Your usb stick should look like this, doesn't matter which port you use, it doesn't take long about 15 mins in my case, and no notifications once the process starts

A5817DA9-AD81-438B-AFBE-00A23B998128.jpeg

Right, so are you effectively taking the files from the folder with the VIN number on and throwing into root of usb? 

2 hours ago, DG97 said:

I thought that’d be the next thing to try, probably will try it on the way back from work as it’s a 35-40 minutes drive. It’s nice it’s a silent process but also annoying as you literally don’t get anything to say it’s going on or any % of progress etc. You’re just left guessing. What happens if you miss the notification saying done? Or is it one that stays on so you can’t miss it? I know the version info in the settings page will change but is there anything else?

You get a message saying will install on next restart.

• Like 2

Gave it a go this morning, it worked. Moving the files from the VIN numbered folder into the root of the usb did it. Although the Ford instructions are a bit unclear on that. To be fair it does display some information when it's working and the notification to say it's done is sufficient. Thanks for all of your help.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club