Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car jerking and juddering

hubballi

The only way I can describe my Focus 1.6 is it has started juddering and jerking as if gaps in the fuel getting to engine. It's the same kind of effect as when you try to drive in high gear before it's time to change up. Now lately I have let my fuel run into the flashing light (mainly because it seems to use it in no time at all and I am short of funds so can't afford to fill it up) and think perhaps all the gunk in the tank or dodgy supermarket fuel may have caused this. The last time I put in a tenner at Morrisons and it has got worse since. Even cruising along at around 60 in 5th gear it does it. Someone suggested filling the tank up about half full and blasting down the motorway to clear any blockages.

Any ideas ?

The only way I can describe my Focus 1.6 is it has started juddering and jerking as if gaps in the fuel getting to engine. It's the same kind of effect as when you try to drive in high gear before it's time to change up. Now lately I have let my fuel run into the flashing light (mainly because it seems to use it in no time at all and I am short of funds so can't afford to fill it up) and think perhaps all the gunk in the tank or dodgy supermarket fuel may have caused this. The last time I put in a tenner at Morrisons and it has got worse since. Even cruising along at around 60 in 5th gear it does it. Someone suggested filling the tank up about half full and blasting down the motorway to clear any blockages.

Any ideas ?

dump some injector cleaner stick a tenner in and give it a blast you shouldnt really keep running it in the red however you dont need to fill it up either more fuel=more weight so you use more fuel to haul the car along i rarelky go beyond 15 quid a time as i get better economy that way not as much weight to drag it could be a faulty spark plug lead or coil pack even faulty plugs and causing a misfire easy to see in the dark start her up leave the lights off and take a look under the bonnet you can sometimes see the spark from a faulty lead

Any ideas ?

sounds like coil pack issues. it could be breaking up causing it to misfire and judder. will also affect fuel economy and its pretty common im afraid..

the old rumours about not letting the fuel get too low are a load of bullsh.. thats why we have inline fuel filters, also the fuel pump draws fuel from the bottom of the tank anyway.

sounds like coil pack issues. it could be breaking up causing it to misfire and judder. will also affect fuel economy and its pretty common im afraid..

the old rumours about not letting the fuel get too low are a load of bullsh.. thats why we have inline fuel filters, also the fuel pump draws fuel from the bottom of the tank anyway.

i mean the fact youre starving the pump of fuel all the time all petrol is taken from the bottom of the tank anyway but running that low can seriously knacker the fuel pump

i mean the fact youre starving the pump of fuel all the time all petrol is taken from the bottom of the tank anyway but running that low can seriously knacker the fuel pump

btw that wasnt aimed at you in anyway, we must have posted at the same time.

btw that wasnt aimed at you in anyway, we must have posted at the same time.

no i know that i just meant if hes in the red fklashing constantly the pump will get starved of fuel which wont help matters but does sound like a coil pack issue to me as well now you mention it if youre short of cash replace it with one from a scrappy if it cures the prob you can stash cash for a new one heres a link mate http://vi.ebaydesc.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=390059606545&t=0&ds=0&js=-1&ssid=3&seller=parts-for-fords&category=21654&bv=msie&caz.html

no i know that i just meant if hes in the red fklashing constantly the pump will get starved of fuel which wont help matters but does sound like a coil pack issue to me as well now you mention it if youre short of cash replace it with one from a scrappy if it cures the prob you can stash cash for a new one heres a link mate http://vi.ebaydesc.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=390059606545&t=0&ds=0&js=-1&ssid=3&seller=parts-for-fords&category=21654&bv=msie&caz.html

I had an engine swap about 5 months ago and the economy hasn't been as good even though it was a newer engine with less mileage. As the cam belt went on the old engine you can imagine the money I have spent on this already and it's only an old 1999 plate. Paid £900 for it but spent over that much on it again. Now the windscreen has cracked which will need doing. I want my old Peugeot 106 back as I had no problems with it.

I had an engine swap about 5 months ago and the economy hasn't been as good even though it was a newer engine with less mileage. As the cam belt went on the old engine you can imagine the money I have spent on this already and it's only an old 1999 plate. Paid £900 for it but spent over that much on it again. Now the windscreen has cracked which will need doing. I want my old Peugeot 106 back as I had no problems with it.

wouldnt touch one nor a citroen 80 percent of the cars we see are pugeot/citroen awfulk nasty cars 106 rear suspensions a pain and they rust like nowt else may have gave you no bother but come mot time ive never seen one thats passed first time yet

wouldnt touch one nor a citroen 80 percent of the cars we see are pugeot/citroen awfulk nasty cars 106 rear suspensions a pain and they rust like nowt else may have gave you no bother but come mot time ive never seen one thats passed first time yet

My old 106 had the suspension problem BUT my mechanic told me the same happens with the Focus and when it goes it isn't repairable as it's part of the car body.

My old 106 had the suspension problem BUT my mechanic told me the same happens with the Focus and when it goes it isn't repairable as it's part of the car body.

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/REMOCO-PARTS-4FORDS_STEERING-AND-SUSPENSION_W0QQ_fsubZ19788708QQ_sidZ138853942QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

all suspensions are repairable ive seen bushes for the focus suspension for sale the focus bushes and rear control arms are fully removable and repairable and ford even let you configure the suspension to what you want so youre mechanics spinning you on a bit there, unlike the pugs you dont have to replace the rear axle which is quicker than removing the bushes , the full rear suspension on the focus can be remnpoved and overhauled and multi blade suspensions rarely give much trouble

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/REMOCO-PARTS-4FORDS_STEERING-AND-SUSPENSION_W0QQ_fsubZ19788708QQ_sidZ138853942QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

all suspensions are repairable ive seen bushes for the focus suspension for sale the focus bushes and rear control arms are fully removable and repairable and ford even let you configure the suspension to what you want so youre mechanics spinning you on a bit there, unlike the pugs you dont have to replace the rear axle which is quicker than removing the bushes , the full rear suspension on the focus can be remnpoved and overhauled and multi blade suspensions rarely give much trouble

I am only going off what my mechanic told me.

Just filled the car up with Esso fuel and it still judders. It's really terrible. Going to have a look at spark plugs in the week.

I am only going off what my mechanic told me.

Just filled the car up with Esso fuel and it still judders. It's really terrible. Going to have a look at spark plugs in the week.

no offence but ide be wary of youre mechanic if thats his knowledge of cars when you take the plug leads out can you see any water or corrosion if not it may just be that Halfords tool had one before and the leverage is junk try it with a ratchet just be easy on it andwhen refitting put a little bit of copper grease on the thread so it cant rust for the price of new plugs ide replace themn with the leads a simple broken wire on a lead could give you what you feel

no offence but ide be wary of youre mechanic if thats his knowledge of cars when you take the plug leads out can you see any water or corrosion if not it may just be that halfords tool had one before and the leverage is junk try it with a ratchet just be easy on it andwhen refitting put a little bit of copper grease on the thread so it cant rust for the price of new plugs ide replace themn with the leads a simple broken wire on a lead could give you what you feel

Have taken the plugs out and the electrodes are all white expect one which may be the suspect plug. I have put one of the plugs with a white electrode in the place where the darker plug was. If that is dark after driving it, it will be the coil pack. If it stays the same, it will be just a case of replacing the plugs.

Have taken the plugs out and the electrodes are all white expect one which may be the suspect plug. I have put one of the plugs with a white electrode in the place where the darker plug was. If that is dark after driving it, it will be the coil pack. If it stays the same, it will be just a case of replacing the plugs.

I have replaced the plugs and seems fine. Phew.

I have replaced the plugs and seems fine. Phew.

soetimes it really can be that simple jerking etc is usually coil pack or plugs hope thats you sorted now

soetimes it really can be that simple jerking etc is usually coil pack or plugs hope thats you sorted now

I can't believe this, it's resorted to how it was again. Gutted :-(

I can't believe this, it's resorted to how it was again. Gutted :-(

well its not leads and not plugs so it reverts to coil pack maf or its a fuelling issue dont waste cash go to the scrappy and take a maf off and a coil pack try each of them if one of them solves the problem you know what oit is if neaither do then its a fuel issue either with the injectors or pump or it could be a sensor is gone totally diagnostics may be in order

well its not leads and not plugs so it reverts to coil pack maf or its a fuelling issue dont waste cash go to the scrappy and take a maf off and a coil pack try each of them if one of them solves the problem you know what oit is if neaither do then its a fuel issue either with the injectors or pump or it could be a sensor is gone totally diagnostics may be in order

Now then, I got a new coil pack for £20 so it was worth a gamble at that price. It now runs better than ever and fingers crossed it will continue. Not a bad job getting the old one off (as a novice with cars) but connecting the HT leads back was a pain. One of them was almost bent and had lost that little clip on the bare copper connection. I got it on in the end but perhaps I should look at getting some new leads too.

What I can't understand is if it was the coil pack, why did it seem ok for a while after putting new plugs on ? Surely it would make no difference.

Anyway, if it's sorted my fuel consumption which has been high will go down a bit and all for a mere £35 (including air filter and plugs)

Now then, I got a new coil pack for £20 so it was worth a gamble at that price. It now runs better than ever and fingers crossed it will continue. Not a bad job getting the old one off (as a novice with cars) but connecting the HT leads back was a pain. One of them was almost bent and had lost that little clip on the bare copper connection. I got it on in the end but perhaps I should look at getting some new leads too.

What I can't understand is if it was the coil pack, why did it seem ok for a while after putting new plugs on ? Surely it would make no difference.

Anyway, if it's sorted my fuel consumption which has been high will go down a bit and all for a mere £35 (including air filter and plugs)

that dodgy lead wont be helping things and the engine vibration can make it not make proper contact so ide definately replace the leads genuine fpord one sare the best

• 4 years later...

Hi Guys need help.

My car started jerking and juddering therefore I done a full service ie changed the spark plugs, air filter, oil filter, oil, brake pads and brake discs. For a short whike the jerking stopped. It started happening again and after reading this forum I decided to change the coil pack and leads. Again it stopoed for a short while and now when driving in gear 3, accelerating betwern 1500 to 2000 rpm it jerks. Sometimes its bad where the car thinks it is going to stall but doesn't or sometimes its a slight judder or a vigorous one. What could it possibly be?!

• 2 years later...

Hey did you guys fix this fault ? I have it with a fiesta 1.5 diesel and it is juddering when I drive between 60 & 70 mph.  Not all the time though.  It is a 2014 and not many miles on the clock. It has been in and they couldn't find any faults or replicate it.  They just checked wheels, suspension and re-aligned everything. 

Any suggestions would be great 

Thanks .

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club