Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shell V-Power, is it any good?

Diastolic

So with my fiesta I have always used Tesco’s own diesel, cheap and cheerful. I am collecting a 2015 focus tomorrow, and I was wondering from those have moved over from bog standard fuel to Shell vpower, did you notice an increase in performance or engine noise?

No difference in noise at all in my 2010 Petrol 1.8 zetec S but at the moment a full tank or normal Shell gets me about 366 miles,if i put in V Power it comes up around 395 miles so i get extra mileage but its offset by the greater cost.No real notice in extra performance . BP i actually find is slightly worse and Texaco i just do not touch as the car hates it.

I occasionally put Tesco momentum in my car and I do see a bit of an improvement in my mpg, but no difference in power, I only put it in occasionally as my closest Tescos that sells it at a reasonable price is about 12 miles away.

@Jon Bhoy I've got the same car as you, what's your average fuel consumption over a thankful, I never fill my tank I usually put around £30 a week in on a Saturday and it lasts me about a week.

My average ( according to the cars computer) this week is so far a very healthy 33.7 mpg, it's normally only about 28-30mpg. Think it's to do with the warmer weather

I used it for over a year in my 2013 Focus and I got 0.5mpg less with the  V. Power, there was no noticeable difference in the noise. Last December I changed car to a 2017 Focus and I've just used regular (non supermarket) diesel. IMO not worth the extra cost.

8 hours ago, Diastolic said:

So with my fiesta I have always used Tesco’s own diesel, cheap and cheerful. I am collecting a 2015 focus tomorrow, and I was wondering from those have moved over from bog standard fuel to shell vpower, did you notice an increase in performance or engine noise?

I can't comment on Vpower, but I use BP Ultimate. The reason I choose to use this is because the additional additive pack helps to reduce crap build up in engine which helps long term engine health.  I tend to keep my cars for a while so long term is a consideration.

• Like 1

this has been debated many times and there is never any agreement on it.

• Like 1

I used V-Power in my last focus titanium (12 plate 1.6TDCI) and I could notice a difference in performance but no noticeable difference in MPG (averaged about 42-44mpg) 

I only use Shell fuel save in my 15 Titanium 1.6TDCI and I’m getting 56mpg. 

I always use v-power diesel 

I use branded standard fuel in diesels, noticed no difference at all with premium diesel and at an extra 10p per litre can't see any benefit.  I do tend to avoid supermarket stuff though, never use Morrisons, and I found Sainsburys was very smokey on non-DPF cars so don't use it with a DPF.  Super unleaded does make a difference in decent petrols though, I find Tesco Momentum99 is great and cheaper than VPower or Ultimate as well.

• Like 1

I found my 1.6 sounds like a bag of spanners when I dont use Shell or v-power. I know it sounds like a tractor at the best of times but its even worse with tescos etc.

I tend to use Shell normal fuel most of the time and occasionally drop in a tank of v power. 

If you really want to make a difference, drop in ~200ml of 2 low ash stoke mineral oil to a full take, it sounds a lot quieter, about 7% improvement on economy, it does round off the edge of the available power a bit so dont expect more performance but it helps with the lube and overall, costs less than using v power. .

My fuel economy is better on premium diesel and also quieter. Put 1 tank of standard in it and it sounded rough so went back to premium 

I find my 1.5 TDCI runs v quietly and happily on BP Ultimate. On a 300 mile round trip yesterday on a wide range of road types I found my car was doing a tad under 59mpg which delighted me as I am fast driver (though I can't say if the car would return the same mpg if i was using a regular fuel).  Shell V Power never offered any noise or mpg improvements in my car though it does seem to improve performance marginally ... 

11 hours ago, wilto said:

I occasionally put Tesco momentum in my car and I do see a bit of an improvement in my mpg, but no difference in power, I only put it in occasionally as my closest Tescos that sells it at a reasonable price is about 12 miles away.

@Jon Bhoy I've got the same car as you, what's your average fuel consumption over a thankful, I never fill my tank I usually put around £30 a week in on a Saturday and it lasts me about a week.

My average ( according to the cars computer) this week is so far a very healthy 33.7 mpg, it's normally only about 28-30mpg. Think it's to do with the warmer weather

Hi Chris,

It does vary a bit depending on if i get a bit heavy footed but to be honest not impressed with mpg or indeed performance so looking to change to a Vauxhall when i can.I guessed it would be the same power as my old 1992 Astra SRI which was 1.8 but forgot that was 16 valve.The Zetec S has lovely looks but thats about it.

Ok roughly i get around town about 26-27mpg and if i behave on the motorway as of course everyone does i get about 41mpg.However if say the car mat jams the pedal down on the motorway totally by accident it can drop to 35mpg.

8 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I use branded standard fuel in diesels, noticed no difference at all with premium diesel and at an extra 10p per litre can't see any benefit.  I do tend to avoid supermarket stuff though, never use Morrisons, and I found Sainsburys was very smokey on non-DPF cars so don't use it with a DPF.  Super unleaded does make a difference in decent petrols though, I find Tesco Momentum99 is great and cheaper than VPower or Ultimate as well.

Hi Tom,

I think i tried the momentum99 about 3 years back when i first got the car and from memory thought it was as good as some of the basic big boys fuel . I tend to use only Shell and every few months i put in a tank of Vpower . I had been buying some fuel treatment i used in each tank of Shell to see what it did but to be honest think its a waste of money.Ok if you are buying supermarket stuff but maybe overkill with Shell fuels.

oh this debate again.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, james_60 said:

oh this debate again.

Jamie

Yep, got to be done at least twice a year 😵

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last month I did the same journey twice, mostly motorway miles.  Each trip 220 miles.  With standard Shell unleaded, fuel consumption was 37 mpg; with V-Power it was 42 mpg.  Oh I didn't just rely on the readout on the dash, I calculated it as well.  As it happens I found the dash readout to be pretty accurate.  

If you can afford it put some good stuff in, if not put the cheaper stuff in....job done

• Haha 1

Forget V power and go Tesco Momentum 99.
Only 5p a litre more than standard as compared to 10p extra for 2 less octane.
It's the only fuel I use in my car and it's all good.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

Yes V Power is good, but it entirely depends on what engine it’s being put into.

Before I had kids I owned a Focus ST which had been modded to stage 2, it was running circa 285bhp. On a full tank of V Power I could tell the difference in terms of power delivery, but only just. On a standard non modified engine though you’ll be hard pressed to notice the difference in my opinion. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ChrisFoster1uk said:

Yes V Power is good, but it entirely depends on what engine it’s being put into.

Before I had kids I owned a Focus ST which had been modded to stage 2, it was running circa 285bhp. On a full tank of V Power I could tell the difference in terms of power delivery, but only just. On a standard non modified engine though you’ll be hard pressed to notice the difference in my opinion. 

Agreed, with not noticing the difference in power depending on engine type.  But in the 1.6 (which has zero performance :laugh: ) the difference in fuel consumption was noticeable and verifiable.  I'll leave the individuals to do the sums as to whether they consider the extra cost is worth it.

The best way, is to do your own trials and see.  If it works for you great, if not stick with what your used to.  Pays your money takes your chance.

Drive safe :wink:

I suppose the truth would be if anyone has used an endoscope to see how much carbon build up there is BP/Shell V Supermarket fuel. I know most of the recommendations have been to use Shell V power for the cleaning addatives . Interesting debate given direct injection these days.

Used to use v-Power in my Land Rover Defender mainly because it lubricated the diesel pump better and prolonged its life.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club