Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ebay Ad Fake?

TomsFocus

Surely this can't be legit?  Even if it was a previous Cat C it must be worth more than that?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-Ford-focus-ST-2/273162942227?hash=item3f99c7b713:g:XokAAOSw~-Ja1P34

Apart from the illegal front window tints it looks alright and eBay says it's not far from me.  Wondered if they want a swap with a diesel lol...  Would have to retrofit cruise control though!

You know what they say about things that are too good to be true...

HPI check.  Immediately!

That could be just the starting or asking price. 

1 minute ago, Rumblestrip said:

That could be just the starting or asking price. 

its a classified so fixed price.

I smell a stolen car... low mileage, keyless entry and go... hmm.....

The seller has 100% feedback. 

No tax but two MoTs are a pass, and mileage seems to add up. 4K in the last year...

10 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

The listing has been removed lol

Aw, looks like I missed out then, someone got a bargain! :rolleyes:. It was a mk3 ST2 with 17k for £5300 for anyone that missed it.

I don't think it was stolen but definitely something weird going on there...advertised in Ipswich but contact number was a landline the other side of the country.  Pictures also weren't anywhere near the seller's eBay post code.

Sounds a bit dodgy. Sadly you can't think everyone who advertises stuff are genuine people. Sadly experienced this with my fiesta but happy it runs nicely now. 

4 hours ago, Rumblestrip said:

The seller has 100% feedback. 

Never trust that. The guy I bought my car from (with 100% feedback) advertised the car on eBay with bidding on it and also on gumtree. I saw and bought the car whilst it was up on eBay with the bidding still going. After a few days his 100% feedback went down as the person who won the bidding must of been told the cars sold already. Sadly also found the guy to be a crook as he lied about work being done on the car. Pity really as he was a Ford enthusiast himself. 

anyone keep a note of the eBay seller id that Focus was advertised on? I don't want to try to buy it, I was just keen to see what else had gone on that ID.

Easy to get 100% feedback. Just buy stuff and pay for it. many people who have 100% have never got any feedback from selling so it means nothing if they are now selling. eBay should make it clearer if the 100% feedback is only from buying not selling (I know you can check if you look further into it )

Just checked the 'ended' ads in my watch list but it's not there so must have been fully removed from the site.

19 minutes ago, isetta said:

anyone keep a note of the ebay seller id that Focus was advertised on? I don't want to try to buy it, I was just keen to see what else had gone on that ID.

Easy to get 100% feedback. Just buy stuff and pay for it. many people who have 100% have never got any feedback from selling so it means nothing if they are now selling. Ebay should make it clearer if the 100% feedback is only from buying not selling (I know you can check if you look further into it )

The seller was called chunkdem 

like I suggested above, yes they have 100% feedback. And they got that with 43 feedbacks from buying stuff and a big fat zero feedbacks from selling stuff.  never rely on 100% feedback unless you check how it was earned. 

of course the eBay id could have been hacked by someone and the person advertising the car was not really chunkdem. 

"contact number was a landline the other side of the country" seems strange using a landline number if a scam as more traceable, but then again a lot of scammers are also idiots

people stealing account as well so feedback means nothing :)

I can't understand what the scam actually was, what were they getting out of it?  If you turn up and the car isn't there to buy, you're obviously not going to hand them the cash...  Unless I'm missing something? :unsure: 

perhaps the idea was you phone him, he says there is a lot of interest and someone's shortly due to visit but if you pay him a reasonable sum by bank transfer right now he will save it for you. And does the same for many people and then gives you an non-existent address etc.  Who knows. but it all sounds odd if it had a landline phone number (which someone said above) because it makes them more traceable.

• Thanks 1

Ah, I guess that does make sense.  Though even I wouldn't be daft enough to do that...I hope! :laugh:

Yeah, area code is Gloucester, ad in Ipswich, number was 01285 897690 if you want to try it. 

38 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ah, I guess that does make sense.  Though even I wouldn't be daft enough to do that...I hope! :laugh:

Yeah, area code is Gloucester, ad in Ipswich, number was 01285 897690 if you want to try it. 

Tom you could spend a little more than the asking price of that ST and get yourself a mitsubishi Evo 7 - 9. That would outrun the focus ST easily:laugh:

13 hours ago, zain611 said:

Tom you could spend a little more than the asking price of that ST and get yourself a mitsubishi Evo 7 - 9. That would outrun the focus ST easily:laugh:

I don't actually like Jap cars... :blush:  I'm also pretty sure I couldn't afford the fuel or insurance on an Evo... :laugh:  

0-60 doesn't bother me these days (within reason, I wouldn't go much slower than 12s lol!), but I like the 'special' feeling, the exhaust note, the easy drive and the extra spec of a GTi or ST.  As I'm forced to change to petrol now due to too low mileage for a DPF I'd rather have something decent, and preferably VAG so I don't have to hide at the back of a public car park at the local VAG shows...might even be able to talk to someone at the shows if I have a car worth talking about...no-one wants to hear how many MPG my diesel does or how little the tax costs... :yawn: 

Just to show how ridiculous insurance is though, it's cheaper for me to insure a 2.0 TFSi (170bhp) Audi A6 Avant S Line than it is my 115bhp diesel Focus... :lol:  Sadly the A6 has sold now. :sad: 

55 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't actually like Jap cars... :blush:  I'm also pretty sure I couldn't afford the fuel or insurance on an Evo... :laugh:  

0-60 doesn't bother me these days (within reason, I wouldn't go much slower than 12s lol!), but I like the 'special' feeling, the exhaust note, the easy drive and the extra spec of a GTi or ST.  As I'm forced to change to petrol now due to too low mileage for a DPF I'd rather have something decent, and preferably VAG so I don't have to hide at the back of a public car park at the local VAG shows...might even be able to talk to someone at the shows if I have a car worth talking about...no-one wants to hear how many MPG my diesel does or how little the tax costs... :yawn: 

Just to show how ridiculous insurance is though, it's cheaper for me to insure a 2.0 TFSi (170bhp) Audi A6 Avant S Line than it is my 115bhp diesel Focus... :lol:  Sadly the A6 has sold now. :sad: 

What year was that audi A6? I've found newer cars to have cheaper insurance even though it has a bigger engine it's still cheaper. 

If your doing little mileage then it's best to get a petrol or diesel without a DPF. I've done just over 2000 miles on my fiesta in 9 months. I do 10 mile journeys 3 days a week (less now as I'm nearly finished the year) so that's enough to let the diesel engine warm up. No DPF in there so don't have to worry about it clogging up however I do boot it time to time to clear any dirt out. Thankfully i don't see any black smoke. 

Was just looking at a Evo FQ 360 model. Here's one with just 32k miles, cat d however. Here's the running costs also. Would love to get one but the sensible thing to do first is put a deposit on a house. 

Screenshot_20180428-103849.png

Screenshot_20180428-103900.png

Screenshot_20180428-104023.png

Screenshot_20180428-104032.png

59 minutes ago, zain611 said:

What year was that audi A6? I've found newer cars to have cheaper insurance even though it has a bigger engine it's still cheaper. 

If your doing little mileage then it's best to get a petrol or diesel without a DPF. I've done just over 2000 miles on my fiesta in 9 months. I do 10 mile journeys 3 days a week (less now as I'm nearly finished the year) so that's enough to let the diesel engine warm up. No DPF in there so don't have to worry about it clogging up however I do boot it time to time to clear any dirt out. Thankfully i don't see any black smoke. 

Was just looking at a Evo FQ 360 model. Here's one with just 32k miles, cat d however. Here's the running costs also. Would love to get one but the sensible thing to do first is put a deposit on a house. 

Screenshot_20180428-103849.png

I just can't get excited about them myself...for £17.5k I'd rather have a Focus RS or an Audi RS4 Avant...  Each to their own though! :biggrin:  Realistically I'll never be able to afford anything like that lol.

It was a 2006 A6, going for something older and cheaper to buy than my current mk3 so that the lower depreciation covers the higher running costs and preferably still some left over.  Focus' just are expensive to insure for me though, even a Golf GTi would be cheaper to insure...  I know the STs get stolen or crashed a lot but I don't see why a comfort spec diesel version should be expensive to insure, unless they think it's so dull I'll doze off on the motorway. :laugh:   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 27/04/2018 at 2:05 PM, isetta said:

perhaps the idea was you phone him, he says there is a lot of interest and someone's shortly due to visit but if you pay him a reasonable sum by bank transfer right now he will save it for you. And does the same for many people and then gives you an non-existent address etc.  Who knows. but it all sounds odd if it had a landline phone number (which someone said above) because it makes them more traceable.

You can buy a VoIP/Online landline number for pennies these days, so they're not much more trustworthy than mobile numbers. 

On 27/04/2018 at 7:50 PM, zain611 said:

It would also shatter several spinal discs and shake out any fillings he might have!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club