Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK6 1.25 water pump without cam belt?

Fenderboy

Hi all.

My daughter's 2011 1.2 Fiesta decided to dump all of it's coolant yesterday. Looks like the water pump has failed and the coolant is pouring out of the spindle when you top the header tank up.

All the water pump kits I seem to see include a cam belt. Is this because it's impossible to change the water pump with the cam belt still fit, or just that most people don't have to change the water pump on it's own? I'm  more than comfortable changing the pump myself but don't really fancy taking the cam belt off - if it needs to come off I think I'll entrust it to a garage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean.

It won't be a mk6 at 2011, will be mk7 prefacelift.  

Waterpump is run by the auxiliary belt on the 1.25 so there's no need to change or remove the cambelt at the same time.

Thanks TomsFocus, just what I wanted to hear!

😀

guess I’ve just given myself a job now though!

21 hours ago, Fenderboy said:

Hi all.

My daughter's 2011 1.2 Fiesta decided to dump all of it's coolant yesterday. Looks like the water pump has failed and the coolant is pouring out of the spindle when you top the header tank up.

All the water pump kits I seem to see include a cam belt. Is this because it's impossible to change the water pump with the cam belt still fit, or just that most people don't have to change the water pump on it's own? I'm  more than comfortable changing the pump myself but don't really fancy taking the cam belt off - if it needs to come off I think I'll entrust it to a garage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean.

I have a 2011 titanium 1.6 fiesta and going to have my belt done soon and i will have kit and pump (Gates make) as its 8 years what they say.

TomsFocus is right as the pump is not driven by the cam belt as to be honest i did think it was until the garage looked at mine to see the condition of the belt.

I will have mine done just for the sake of it and your being a 2011 so its close as mine is.

On 28/04/2018 at 12:49 PM, TomsFocus said:

It won't be a mk6 at 2011, will be mk7 prefacelift.  

Waterpump is run by the auxiliary belt on the 1.25 so there's no need to change or remove the cambelt at the same time.

technically it isnt run by the cam belt , but the timing belt tensioner is bolted to the waterpump assy. so either with special tools its possible to wedge the timingbelt up and remove the tensioner. or remove the timing belt and replace belt and pump together. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all above. 

Unfortunately, I took the first answer and ran with it 🙂

Took the last bolt out of the pump and the timing belt went slack!!! 😨

Put the job to one side until a 6 quid timing kit arrived from eBay, rocker cover off, crank round onto pin, cam pulleys loosened, cams lined up with timing bar and cam pulleys tightened back up. No drama. 

Made it a bigger job than I’d anticipated though but hey, that’s half the fun of working on your own cars isn’t it!

Daughter actually says it feels smoother than it did, maybe the timing is better than it was from the factory! I checked 3 times before the rebuild started!

*** Don’t forget to turn the engine at least TWO full turns when confirming the timing ok before carrying on, one full turn is not a cycle***

For what the effort is, and the cost of the timing kit, I’d definitely time the engine up first and take the belt off and refit properly. No worries about timing that way and will only add half an hour into the job.

Thanks all,

Sean  

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club