Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus reving too much?

andybeech93

Hi i just joined the forum as need some help with my 2003 Ford Focus tddi 1.8, iv been having problems with trying to accelerate. Basically as you drive along if I plant my foot the car with Rev to about 4K and not go any faster note in any gear it will do this. I have changed my boost pipe as that was split and the map sensor which slightly helped at first. Been searching whether it’s the throttle position sensor or found out they have a pressure control valve which can cause problems but would rather work out the problem rather then throwing parts at it. 

Did a diagnostics and it came up with turbo sensor a faulty but not sure what that is. 

If anyone could help be appreciated thanks.

Edit forgot to also say when you half throttle it will slowly build speed but not very quickly, though can get it to boost every so often.

Edited by andybeech93
Added bit

So the revs go up but the speed doesn't?  The clutch is slipping if that's the case, needs a new clutch.

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

So the revs go up but the speed doesn't?  The clutch is slipping if that's the case, needs a new clutch.

Yea sometimes it will boost fine and go but most of the time just rev, ok is there a way to test this to make sure as I was told a new clutch was fitted before. Thanks 

If the revs rise faster than the speed then that can only be the clutch.  If it's recently had a clutch, check the clutch fluid level as fluid may be leaking onto the clutch plate.

There are tests you can do, like letting the clutch up in 5th gear when stationary, if the engine doesn't stall quickly then the clutch is slipping.  Can also try accelerating hard up hill in top gear when safe to do so, you should see the revs rise much more quickly than the speed then.  

If you're still unsure, let a mechanic try it at a trusted garage, they'll know what a slipping clutch feels like.

On 29/04/2018 at 7:58 PM, TomsFocus said:

If the revs rise faster than the speed then that can only be the clutch.  If it's recently had a clutch, check the clutch fluid level as fluid may be leaking onto the clutch plate.

There are tests you can do, like letting the clutch up in 5th gear when stationary, if the engine doesn't stall quickly then the clutch is slipping.  Can also try accelerating hard up hill in top gear when safe to do so, you should see the revs rise much more quickly than the speed then.  

If you're still unsure, let a mechanic try it at a trusted garage, they'll know what a slipping clutch feels like.

Thanks I tried the put in 5th with handbrake on and it appears to stall every time, which is odd if the clutch was slipping. Could it still be clutch or could it be something else like the throttle position sensor? I’ll try and get it on a ramp at work see if can see any leaks as well Thanks 

It depends what the problem is, the one you describe, where it revs more than the speed increases, can only be the clutch because the ratio of road speed vs RPM is a physical thing set by the gearbox.  The only way to alter that is by breaking the connection between the gearbox and engine, which the clutch does.

However, I think the issue is that you're getting a boost fault instead, so it's not accelerating as quickly as it should, but the revs aren't actually any higher than they were before at the same speed, it just takes longer to get there.  If this is the case it could be the throttle position sensor, or MAF sensor, or even a blocked fuel filter.  Do you have any diagnostic equipment at work?  It could be useful to check for fault codes.

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

It depends what the problem is, the one you describe, where it revs more than the speed increases, can only be the clutch because the ratio of road speed vs RPM is a physical thing set by the gearbox.  The only way to alter that is by breaking the connection between the gearbox and engine, which the clutch does.

However, I think the issue is that you're getting a boost fault instead, so it's not accelerating as quickly as it should, but the revs aren't actually any higher than they were before at the same speed, it just takes longer to get there.  If this is the case it could be the throttle position sensor, or MAF sensor, or even a blocked fuel filter.  Do you have any diagnostic equipment at work?  It could be useful to check for fault codes.

Oh I see what you mean now that is very true, yea it sounds like what you just described where it’s not building the speed fast enough or boosting correctly as sometimes I can get it to boost fine just 9/10 it will just have higher revs then speed will build up.

the last fault that I checked on it was turbo sensor a faulty 

1A72DDE4-B072-4F2E-AAD3-CE18C221914E.thumb.jpeg.903ecb613d5d15114fa0facb1fbc92b5.jpeg

The boost sensor is the MAP sensor that you've already changed.  The wiring to it could be faulty though.  I'd check the codes again to see if that's come back.

9 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The boost sensor is the MAP sensor that you've already changed.  The wiring to it could be faulty though.  I'd check the codes again to see if that's come back.

Yea thought it was I’ll have to plug it in again and see what comes back if the code is still there is it worth just deleting the fault and trying it.

On 01/05/2018 at 12:17 PM, TomsFocus said:

Checked for faults no faults now on my car so could be the boost converter if it’s not clutch maybe? As last night I was driving about and got it to boost W rut time without any issues.

Ah, an intermittent fault without any fault codes, very annoying and hard to diagnose over the internet.

I'm not sure what you mean by boost converter, boost solenoid maybe?  I don't know if the mk1 uses a boost solenoid though.

Could you ask anyone where you work what they think of it, I guess you work at some sort of garage with access to the ramp and diags?

On 02/05/2018 at 12:45 PM, TomsFocus said:

Ah, an intermittent fault without any fault codes, very annoying and hard to diagnose over the internet.

I'm not sure what you mean by boost converter, boost solenoid maybe?  I don't know if the mk1 uses a boost solenoid though.

Could you ask anyone where you work what they think of it, I guess you work at some sort of garage with access to the ramp and diags?

Yea Seems that way the last couple of days it seems to be working fine now I plant my foot and the car goes quite well. Could it of been something blocked while it had the fault with the map sensor as that is now not a problem anymore,

yea doing a google and asking my supplier at the garage I work out they said they have a boost solenoid also know as the boost converter. Will keep an eye on it and post if anymore issues thanks again.

On 02/05/2018 at 12:45 PM, TomsFocus said:

I did notice today when the problem happened that there was a lot of white smoke coming out the exhaust covering the car behind, quite good when there following too close 😆 but then when take foot off gas it clears.