Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2003 Fusion petrol 1.4 grinding noise

geoffb63

Hi recently bought above vehicle, there is horrendous grinding noise, perhaps g/box i dont know, basically the noise comes on when i`m taking up drive say 3/5 mph, no matter what speed you do the noise is the same all the time, it does not seem to increase or decrease with different speeds, it appears constant perhaps just a touch louder as you increase speed, it is not a whine type noise so i don`t think bearings, the noise seems central, so i wonder if g/box problem perhaps, any advice please. Oh sorry forgot to mention no noise on tick over or revving when stationary.

As there is always noise when in gear sounds like the pilot bearing or tranny shaft:

" the release bearing disengages the clutch. The release bearing is designed to operate with minimum friction between the rotating and stationary points of contact. If noise develops from the bell housing area, a few checks can be done. Start with a road test of the vehicle. Listen for noise with the transmission in gear and the clutch pedal to the floor. Next release the clutch with the transmission in first gear. Noise under this condition indicates a worn release bearing or a worn pilot bearing.

To isolate the two, keep the clutch pedal on the floor and shift the transmission into neutral. If the noise persists, the release bearing is bad. If the noise is gone, the pilot bearing is bad.A bearing noise that occurs when releasing the clutch pedal to engage the clutch while in neutral, but goes away when the pedal is depressed is caused by a bad transmission input shaft bearing."

• Thanks 1

Hi, thanks for that info, maybe it`s one of those brgs then, it just sounds a bit heavier than a bearing if you know what i mean, tried the car again today properly, the noise comes on more or less at 10 mph obviously after that it is constant all the time, press the clutch shift into neutral do whatever you want to do  makes no difference to the noise, even free wheeling noise still there, drop  the speed under 10 mph say to 5 mph and it disappears speed up again to approx 10 mph  again and its back on, if it is a brg fine but if it`s the g/box i will just get another one obviously i do not want to risk spending for nothing. maybe i should take to a garage and ask them for their opinion before spending anything.

Have you thought about the drive shafts? Part of it is located centrally, and the noise is constant only when moving. Jack up the car and spin the front wheels to see. Otherwise a mechanic can likely tell right away.

Ah sorry you have been inflicted with this problem I have the seemingly same problem I took it to local garage he took it for a run said definitely not a wheel bearing the most likely culprit is a diff bearing he checked gearbox oil level that was alright.  I feel a second hand gearbox is the way to go.

hope you get it sorted.

Regards and Best Wishes Jim 

Hi, thanks again for posts, i took it to garage today mechanic had quick run in vehicle, he thinks, not wheel brgs, does not think gearbox either, have to go back again tomorrow he is going to put up on ramp to try and find noise, unfortunately, could not put on ramp today as it was already full, he concurs with my explanation, comes on at low speed and does not alter irrespective of speed or anything else you may do, just constant all the time, will keep you posted of eventual outcome, thanks again.

Hi Guys, been back to garage, put car on freewheel ramp, 95% sure now that it is inner drive shaft bearing on drivers side, passenger side quiet as a mouse, so will order new complete drive shaft have it fitted and hopefully that is the end of the problem, will keep you posted, unfortunately not for 3 weeks as on holiday on Saturday, best regards.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, had new drivers side drive shaft fitted today, PROBLEM SOLVED, thank for all your help.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club