Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta mk7.5 howling sound :D Tires or bearing?

Jeipii

My Fiesta has produced a howling sound in the last 2000 km I've driven. Now I'm wondering if it's the summer tires or is one of my bearings breaking slowly. I'm pretty sure that I didn't hear the sound when I changed my tires. So for now Im thinking that it is not the tires. 

What I've tried so far:

I jacked the car up from each corner and tried to rotate the tires. The front tires do not rotate very well and the brake pads are touching the brake discs slightly. Both front tires rotate about equally badly though so I thought that the bearings there are not failing.

Both rear tires rotate really well and there is one spot in the rotation where it seems that the drum brake pads are touching the drum. 

I also tried to wiggle all tires but no movement at all so couldn't find the source of howling this way. Also tried to make some turns while driving to see if the sound is affected when cornering with  the car. Not much effect.

I would like to hear other peoples experiences about their Fiesta? Have you had tires that make a howling noise when driving? Have you had a bearing starting to fail and make a mild howling sound ? Last time in my super old Fiesta I had similar symptoms when my rear bearings were failing, but this time im not sure if that's the case. 

My rear bearing have failed and been replaced and my fronts need doing now too

How many miles on the car?

I found with my rears they seemed fine when on the car, no unusual movement when jacked up and wheel seemed to move freely but when I actually took them out you could feel how bad they were and the bearings were not smooth at all

What exactly does it sound like? All my bearing issues sound like a constant on and off thrum thrum thrum, at first when it's not very loud it's not clear what wheel it may be but as it gets worse and louder I could tell what wheel it was coming from

Have you checked your tracking? A howling sound could be from the tyres if you have a poor alignment. 

18 hours ago, liamstears said:

My rear bearing have failed and been replaced and my fronts need doing now too

How many miles on the car?

I found with my rears they seemed fine when on the car, no unusual movement when jacked up and wheel seemed to move freely but when I actually took them out you could feel how bad they were and the bearings were not smooth at all

What exactly does it sound like? All my bearing issues sound like a constant on and off thrum thrum thrum, at first when it's not very loud it's not clear what wheel it may be but as it gets worse and louder I could tell what wheel it was coming from

The car has been driven 50 000 km (31 000 miles) now. The sound I'm getting is this kind of low howling noise when driving. It gets a bit louder if I drive faster but is not much affected when cornering with the car. The sound is not varying much except by the speed. Because of my earlier experience I'm suspecting the rear wheelbearings but haven't found clear proof of that yet. I guess I'll just have to drive a bit more.

The rear wheels make this dragging noise in one part of rotation. I'm suspecting that is because of the drum breaks are sticking a bit. So did you take the wheel off and then rotate the hub and noticed that the bearings were not ok?

8 hours ago, ThaiFiesta said:

Have you checked your tracking? A howling sound could be from the tyres if you have a poor alignment. 

Could be that also but I think it would be weird for the tracking to suddenly go bad without no major stress to the wheels. I suppose I will first drive a bit more and see if the noise gets louder over time. Also I will try to see if changing the air pressure in wheels would alter the noise. That would imply its the tires.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club