Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adaptive Headlight Warning on Dash

bluepeter

Had this warning come up on my dash about 4 times asking to check Adaptive Headlight ( see manual ) well checked manual and does not say much about any faults, car was at dealers for new wheels to be fitted so asked them to check it over, they said nothing showed up on diagonostic machine but it still happening ? Anyone else had this?.

20180503_161231[1].jpg

Looks like one of the adaptive headlamps has gone into default get you home mode.

Turn everything off, disconnect the battery for 10mins and connect it back up.

Cures most things

H

I've had it a couple of times. I just ignored it, switched the ignition off and back on again and all was well. Remember the mantra: "It's not supposed to work properly, it's computer-controlled."

no ive not had this message on mine

• 6 months later...

I have this problem with my Edge, has anyone found the cause, and the cure of the problem ?

Mine has been back to the dealers 3 times, and they are stumped !

They have contacted Ford direct, who say No-one else has had this problem, But after chatting to the dealer about the issue, they now say a Directors  also has the same problem ( Cant believe a Director has never reported the problem on his company car )

WP_20181002_06_31_47_Pro.jpg

I had it occur on my previous Focus ST twice.
Dealership fitted a new headlamp and programmed it in.
I believe it was a faulty module that was part of the lamp unit.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

On 11/10/2018 at 10:06 PM, AllanB said:

Mine has been back to the dealers 3 times, and they are stumped !

There will be diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) stored in the adaptive headlight module which will tell the tech exactly what is wrong and their service guide will tell them how to test, confirm the issue and what needs replacing.

Adaptive headlights take inputs primarily from the windscreen camera and steering wheel position (as well as lighting switches, etc). It will also monitor what its told the headlamp until and if that doesn't report back what it has been told to do, it too will raise a DTC. The logged DTC(s) will tell you which of these the module is not happy about.

Take it to another dealer that knows what they are doing!

Simonb65

When it happens, the only way to reset it, is by turning the ignition off and on, and this is clearing the warning, AND deleting any fault codes.

They have asked for me to return to the dealers with the Warning still displayed, so they can see it for their self, but unfortunatly, its only happens in the morning going to work, and they are not open that early, or in the evenings, and they are not open that late.

3 hours ago, AllanB said:

When it happens, the only way to reset it, is by turning the ignition off and on, and this is clearing the warning, AND deleting any fault codes.

Ignition cycles and/or a period of time where the fault isn't still present (i.e. an intermittent sensor) will clear the 'Active' faults on some systems (the ones that show up errors on your dash and in the case of an engine, put it into limp home mode), but the fault will still be logged in the ECU as 'Freeze Frame' data and that can only be cleared by resetting the codes in the ECU via a diagnostic tool. There are some faults that clear after a number of ignition cycles without the fault re-occurring, but there aren't many that have that strategy and I would certainly not expect a system that has roadworthy or safety legislation doing that. I've never seen that and I've been involved in vehicle diagnostics (car, trucks and construction) for 15+ years.

If they want to see it, I suggest taking a photo of the dash when the fault pops up. that way you can just show it happens and then hand it over to them. The chances of you turning up with the fault still active sounds fairly remote! I would suggest getting yourself a cheap ()£5-£10) Wifi ODBII reader and FORScan (Free), then post any fault codes on here and we'll try and help you out.

Simon

Already taken a photo, and shown them (Look in my earlier messgaes )

If it still carries on after this round of inspections/ equiment changes ( Think they are going to replace both the headlamps ) will ask them for advice / help on the OBDII, see if the fault can be recorded that way, as it's getting silly now !!!

Thanks for the help

WP_20181002_06_31_47_Pro.jpg

43 minutes ago, AllanB said:

Already taken a photo, and shown them (Look in my earlier messgaes )

Allan, Only saw it after I posted! DOh!

• 1 month later...

Good morning all,

Has this issue been resolved on your recent trips to the dealer with swapping headlights?

My Edge has just popped up with the same warning message this morning. No auto main beam or manual main beam with the stalk. No adapting of the lights either. 

Just spoken to my dealer to arrange a booking. 

Thanks

Owen

My car has been in 3 times with this problem , each time they say there is no fault log code showing on there pc, im waiting till it happens again then driving straight to dealer and see what happens.

• Thanks 1

Had this happen over 10 times now, really annoying as most of my journey to and from work are along unlit B-roads, and the get me home beams are awful as sometimes they point down so low I can't see far at all, other times it's no so bad. And you can no longer use your high-beams to flash. What I don't understand is that they appear to be working absolutely fine until the message appears.

Some days I can get through the day fine, others, as soon as I pull off my drive or 20 mins into a journey. No rhyme or reason.

I've connected an ELM ODBII adapter and read my ECU via Torque(android app) and it shows no errors, this was whilst the check adaptive headlights message was showing and my engine running. I've taken photos of the message being displayed on my dash, I am due my 18K service shortly and will mention this when I book. But don't fancy playing dealer-ping-pong!

2018-11-12 07.11.07.jpg

As my dealer has stated to me the 3 times its been in for this same problem " nothing showing in fault log so can not rectify a fault that dosnt appear"

• 3 weeks later...

Well been to the dealer with lots of photo evidence during my 18K service, they cleared a low battery error from the ECU and told me the issue was now fixed. Following morning happened again! Booked in again towards the end of the month.. Cannot believe nothing regarding the issue is not stored in the ECU for interrogation, clearly a fault or condition triggers the display message?!?

I'll let you know how I get on....

• 3 weeks later...

Got my car back from the dealer, they've not been able to get it to fault whilst with them, but have updated the firmware on the relevant control modules, so fingers crossed that is the end of it. I'll give you an update after a month has elapsed, but with it getting lighter will make it more difficult to trigger.

Well, It went back for the 3rd time, 2 months ago, and PERFECT !!

Well, hopefully thats it, problem solved.

My dealers, Gates of Harlow, say they fitted a Brand New pair of LED headlights, in a car thats only 2 months old at the time, and "Touch Wood", "Fingers Crossed" etc, they have been perfect ever since.

If anyone else is having this problem, asked them to contact Gates of Harlow, for advice and guidance

Thanks Gates, for finally solving the problem

• 2 months later...

Well it's April and I still have the issue, I just keep taking the photos and supplying them to the dealer, whom in turn liaises with Ford, as there are no errors logged in any of the control systems making it difficult to pin point the issue. Apparently the dealer had Ford connect to my Edge directly and updated the firmware on a module, but this has made no difference.

This is poor fault log management on Ford's side, with so many systems and sensors involved in the operation of these devices they should all be recording fault events. Something triggers the display message and puts the headlights into get me home mode in the first place.

Something will need replacing, but who knows what??

Frustrating.

As I said earlier, Get your Dearler to contact Gates of Harlow for advice on this, as they finally fixed mine by installing New replacment headlights.

Had the fault about 6 times in the first few months of ownership,3 vists to dealers, they finally replaced headlights and NO faults since ( Approx 6mths).

Tell them to replace them, you have 3 yrs standard warrenty for problems like this

• 3 weeks later...

I've had  the "check adaptive headlamps-see manual" warning come up a handful of times when starting up! I sense it only seems to happen if I start the engine rather quickly when I feel the electrics need a few seconds to settle and in the case of the adaptive headlights, adjust into position. I have done a restart and the warning has gone so upto now that's my theory 😣

By the way, does anyone see the manual? what does it say?

Definitely a bad communication between the control module and light.
The only permanent fix is a new lamp unit and a recode to eliminate the error from the system.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• 4 weeks later...

Got some progress on mine. Had the fault come up while in town so went straight to the Ford garage and didn't switch the engine off. They came out and plugged a laptop in and got an error along the lines of "General electrical failure left headlight" so in to be replaced soon. Next up will be the right headlight... when it's out of warranty no doubt!

Every other time I took it in, they said there was no fault, so obviously cleared itself each engine restart.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone on here as I just took my 2016 Ford Edge vignale in with this same problem and I quoted the problems here with possible remedies. 

Within an hour they told me that it needed a replacement unit (£1400+VAT and labour) which is still under manufacturer warranty (phew).

should have it within a few days and fitted. 

If I hadn’t gone armed with the info from here I’m pretty sure it would have been in many times looking for the remedies so that’s again. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club