Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adaptive Headlight Warning on Dash

bluepeter

I've had this happen over 30 times now and has been persistent since November last year, and has been back to the dealer numerous times, the last visit they replaced the headlight control module HCM, but the same issue still persists. Problem is, as the unit doesn’t appear to log any useful error information they can’t pinpoint the issue. I’d rather they replace the lot under warranty, send it back to Ford so they can play with till their hearts content on a test bench.

Fortunately, the issue occurred whilst with the dealer, they said the HCM disappears completely from their Ford scanning equipment, then the error occurs, hence the replacement. Thought it maybe crashing or have a power issue or something.

What amazes me, is that with so many linked systems no proper error logging occurs, and imagine having this fault out of warranty, where you would have to pay the dealer for every step of their exploration into the fault. I’d be well ticked off for stumping up for the HCM that hasn’t fixed the issue so far.

I’ve got 1 year of warranty left, hopeful it gets resolved soon, booked back in for this month, fingers crossed.

Finally convinced my dealer that there was a problem with the adaptive system. New lights on order, happy days.

• 2 months later...

Good morning all,

For those of you that have had new headlights, modules, has this work solved your problem?

My car is faulting every morning now and it has been back three times regarding this fault. My dealer is speaking to technical support to see what they can suggest. I'm surprised that Ford haven't issued a technical service bulletin for this apparent common fault with the LED headlights.

Thank you

Owen

Mine is finially getting the headlamp (drivers-offside) replaced, dropped the car off today, I'll let you know how I get on, bear in mind I've had this issue since last November!!

Also be mindful, that when the error occurs you will be unable to use your mainbeam flashers for communication, I have to use hand signals when letting others out of junctions etc.

So don't be alarmed if people don't react, they've probably got no idea of your intentions!

No disaster there. Headlamp flash shouldn’t really be used to wave folk out of junctions anyway. It should only be used to warn another road user of your presence. It has become an “after you” type signal over the years but personally I never use it like that. I’ve been flashed out of junctions before, only to be nearly wiped out by someone that I couldn’t see and the driver flashing hadn’t noticed. I wouldn’t want to be responsible for a collision so let the other motorists work it out for themselves. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Having exactly the same problem. :sad:

Any news???

Been sporting my replacement headlight for just over a week now (last Wednesday), and not a single issue so far so looking good, I was getting a failure pretty much on a daily basis before, and sometimes multiple times in one day.

I had the Headlamp Control Module (HCM) replaced early on, but this didn't make a difference. If I get through the month, then that'll be the end of it I'm hoping.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2019 at 6:51 PM, Loz1970 said:

Been sporting my replacement headlight for just over a week now (last Wednesday), and not a single issue so far so looking good, I was getting a failure pretty much on a daily basis before, and sometimes multiple times in one day.

I had the Headlamp Control Module (HCM) replaced early on, but this didn't make a difference. If I get through the month, then that'll be the end of it I'm hoping.

I have EDGE Sport 2016 and have same problem. Yesterday I was in dealer for basic check and last time they updated the software what doesn't help. They call to headquarter and they propose to clean the sensors and window. 😂 Same error pop up this morning. The big problem is that during night you are not able to use the  long distance light what is dangerous. I was on the way to hospital in midnight and in half way the error pop up, what is really dangerous. 

The dealer told me that next step is to change the Control Module, as it is our of warranty will see how it will cost and if the problem will be solved.  

4 hours ago, Jolik77 said:

I have EDGE Sport 2016 and have same problem. Yesterday I was in dealer for basic check and last time they updated the software what doesn't help. They call to headquarter and they propose to clean the sensors and window. 😂 Same error pop up this morning. The big problem is that during night you are not able to use the  long distance light what is dangerous. I was on the way to hospital in midnight and in half way the error pop up, what is really dangerous. 

The dealer told me that next step is to change the Control Module, as it is our of warranty will see how it will cost and if the problem will be solved.  

If the problem started before your warranty ran out and you took it to Ford you will still be covered under warranty, even though it has now run out.

Had my Headlights replaced 1yr ago, when the car was only 1 month old, and it has solved all the problems, a year of Trouble free, being able to see at night, motoring.

If you have this problem, the olny cure is NEW Headlights, So book an appointment at your dealers and just hope you are still within warrenty !!!

• 1 month later...

My Edge has the same intermittent problem. I've got the LED Adaptive headlights and you normally get the warning after the initial self-levelling check. Sometimes if I get the error I turn it off, and turn it back on again and it's fine.

Took it to Gates in Bishop's Stortford and they could not find any error codes logged.

Ford advised them to perform a software update to the headlights themselves, which they did but that did not help.

I also gave them the advice from Allan to speak to their Harlow branch.

Turns out Harlow branch has had this problem on 4 cars, in 2 cases they replaced a single headlight and in the other 2 cases the replaced both headlights.

They are fitting a new driver's side headlight for me today and I shall see how it goes ...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I am from the Netherlands. I drive a Galaxy model 2016, the 2.0 petrol version with 241 hp.

I have the same issue with the adaptive lights.

I noticed that it only occurs when temperatures are below 5 degrees. Did you notice it more frequently during cold weather? Or is it accidentally?

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Gates fitted a new headlight (first did the passenger side but error persisted so they put back the original passenger headlight and replaced the driver's side headlight)

No errors since then.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have an Edge Sport model 2016. I also suffered the problem with the Adaptative lamps over 20 times.

Many times it was only the error message but twice happened at night on the road and the lights went down as described before.

The dealer could see a log indicating to change the left lamp. Done (spring/2019).

The message appeared again weeks later and the log told to replace the right lamp (last november/2019)

The message appeared again this week and I'm writing this from the dealer and they do not know how to solve it.

Regards from Spain 

Hello,

I'm wondering if the adaptive headlights message is just a standard niggle with the onboard computer when switching on the ignition. It happens to my Edge occasionally, but always clears on restarting. I've noticed that the full beam never works when the warning is on, even if I have ok'd the message. If I turn the light switch to normal headlights, the full beam still doesn't work. Stop and restart the car and its back to normal. On the first service in sept.19, the local Ford garage didn't find anything on the diagnostics. I have rebooked it in for them to retry and find the problem in the next couple of weeks.

thanks

Have been watching this discussion over the last few months since I have been experiencing this message probably once a week over the last 6 months. Always clears on an ignition restart. I have a 2017 Titanium Edge and have put it into the Ford Dealer today - they have found errors logged from the headlamp control module and have agreed to replace this under warranty. Will post further if that doesn’t do the trick. 

btw, the forum is great and I have found extremely useful 😊

On 10/24/2019 at 4:36 PM, Quofan said:

If the problem started before your warranty ran out and you took it to Ford you will still be covered under warranty, even though it has now run out.

Hi Thank you, but how to prove this to the dealer? I will write them email so I asked them to check in the general dealers in Europe what with this.

Did someone think about to white email to the FORD as I'm decided to do it, as I really don't know the reason when it happens.

I read here "Temperate and others, maybe rain.", but it is different. One way it happens 10 times in 100 km drive, back way no any..strange.Really dangerous in night I have to always stop, stop the engine, open the door and close to reset the module and start engine again. They it works, sometime not really long, but some for whole ride.

Seems general issue with lights in ford specially is Galaxy has same problem.

Will update you. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 2:49 PM, Jolik77 said:

Hi Thank you, but how to prove this to the dealer? I will write them email so I asked them to check in the general dealers in Europe what with this.

Did someone think about to white email to the FORD as I'm decided to do it, as I really don't know the reason when it happens.

I read here "Temperate and others, maybe rain.", but it is different. One way it happens 10 times in 100 km drive, back way no any..strange.Really dangerous in night I have to always stop, stop the engine, open the door and close to reset the module and start engine again. They it works, sometime not really long, but some for whole ride.

Seems general issue with lights in ford specially is Galaxy has same problem.

Will update you. 

What I meant was if you'd already had Ford try and resolve the issue before your warranty ran out but they had failed, it will still be covered even after the warranty expires. Ford would have a record of when you took it in to them for the issue to be looked at. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same message coming up on my dashboard it is the auto high beam when you have this on They is a sensor in the middle of the windshield if it gets any dirt or ice or frost it will put the message up until it gets cleaned by the window wipers it does say this in the manual under auto high beam below is what it says in the manual.they is nothing wrong with your lights.

The system turns on high beams if it is dark enough and no other traffic is present. If it detects an approaching vehicle’s headlamps or tail lamps, or street lighting ahead, the system turns off high beams before they can distract other road users. Low beams remain on.
Note:  The system may not operate properly if the sensor is blocked. Keep the windshield free from obstruction or damage.
Note:  The system may not operate properly in cold or inclement conditions. You can switch on the high beams by overriding the system.
Note:  If the system detects a blockage, for example bird droppings, bug splatter, snow or ice, the system goes into low beam mode until you clear the blockage. A message may appear in the information display if the camera is blocked.
Note:  Using much larger tires or equipping vehicle accessories such as snowplows can modify your vehicle's ride height and degrade automatic high beam control performance.
A camera sensor, centrally mounted behind the windshield of your vehicle, continuously monitors conditions to turn the high beams on and off.

Once the system is active, the high beams turn on if:

• 6 months later...

I'm getting this daily, on my S Max Vignale 2016. I'm just out of warranty! Urgh...

Where the advice is to replace the "headlight" to resolve the issue - is this the whole unit, or the bulb. Trying to figure out if I can just DIY this.

Any help appreciated.

If it's the "Adaptive LED Headlights", not just LED Bulbs you have, as far as I'm aware it's a whole unit and bulbs cannot be replaced therefore requiring a whole new unit which unfortunately are around £1,000 from Ford I believe. Another option is find a car on somewhere like eBay that is being scrapped but obviously you're hoping the used parts are good working order.

This is the information I understand and from my experience as well so happy to be corrected.

15 minutes ago, Trent Edge said:

If it's the "Adaptive LED Headlights", not just LED bulbs you have, as far as I'm aware it's a whole unit and bulbs cannot be replaced therefore requiring a whole new unit which unfortunately are around £1,000 from Ford I believe. Another option is find a car on somewhere like eBay that is being scrapped but obviously you're hoping the used parts are good working order.

This is the information I understand and from my experience as well so happy to be corrected.

There is a third option, though it's not widely done yet!

You can get an electronics repair company to replace whichever internal component is broken.  Very common with other parts such as dash clusters etc.  It still won't be cheap, but much cheaper than a brand new unit and will be warrantied, where a used unit often isn't.

1 hour ago, Trent Edge said:

If it's the "Adaptive LED Headlights", not just LED bulbs you have, as far as I'm aware it's a whole unit and bulbs cannot be replaced therefore requiring a whole new unit which unfortunately are around £1,000 from Ford I believe. Another option is find a car on somewhere like eBay that is being scrapped but obviously you're hoping the used parts are good working order.

Ouch

1 hour ago, vig66 said:

Ouch

Yep, fortunately mine was under warranty. It was only one headlight which was showing faults so they only replaced that one. Hoping the other one doesn't go in the future!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club