Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adaptive Headlight Warning on Dash

bluepeter

20 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

There is a third option, though it's not widely done yet!

You can get an electronics repair company to replace whichever internal component is broken.  Very common with other parts such as dash clusters etc.  It still won't be cheap, but much cheaper than a brand new unit and will be warrantied, where a used unit often isn't.

Excellent suggestion. Any recommendations for a company in the Cambridge area? I wouldn't know what type of company would take this on...

3 minutes ago, vig66 said:

Excellent suggestion. Any recommendations for a company in the Cambridge area? I wouldn't know what type of company would take this on...

These places are quite few and far between so generally have to send the part to them for repair.  You might find a local place through Google but BBA Reman is the place I'd recommend.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

These places are quite few and far between so generally have to send the part to them for repair.  You might find a local place through Google but BBA Reman is the place I'd recommend.

Wow Trust Pilot is not a friend of BBA Reman.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/shop.bba-reman.com

Thanks for the suggestion, it's a good shout - I'll see if there is a local option for me.

44 minutes ago, vig66 said:

Wow Trust Pilot is not a friend of BBA Reman.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/shop.bba-reman.com

Thanks for the suggestion, it's a good shout - I'll see if there is a local option for me.

Are they a fan of anyone?  You wouldn't buy a Ford if you looked at the Trust Pilot ratings. :biggrin:   https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.ford.co.uk

Do let us know if you find somewhere reputable so I can change my recommendation though.  Genuinely haven't seen any complaints about BBA on here.

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Are they a fan of anyone?  You wouldn't buy a Ford if you looked at the Trust Pilot ratings. :biggrin:   https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.ford.co.uk

Do let us know if you find somewhere reputable so I can change my recommendation though.  Genuinely haven't seen any complaints about BBA on here.

Ha, very good point!

I'll keep the forum posted on progress. Thanks to all for the advice.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I've sat reading all your comments with regards to this "check adaptive headlamps " sign . I have an S-Max Vignale 66 plate . Purchased 2017 all was fine until Aug 2019 when the sign kept coming up booked into DEALER we purchased car from and a diagnostics determined a new headlamp module was needed on drivers side that was replaced under warranty.... which then expired beginning October 2019 10 days after this the sign came up again its not constant maybe on for 3 times I start the car then clear , but they had the car back November 2019 to then tell us Passengers side whole headlamp unit needs replacing at a cost of £1242. Inc fitting and vat . I then contacted Ford customer relations and they have agreed to pay towards the cost of repair,  I have to pay £400 towards it . But this sign hasnt been on constantly and we recently took a weeks holiday and left the light setting switch to the adaptive position and not once in 10 days did the sign come up . Tuesday 6th October had my MOT and they turned the light switch back to the off position,  I came out of waiting for my car and started it up and now the signs back again intermittently,  I am back in touch with Fords and its going to be booked in for the headlamp to be replaced,  but If the sign reappears I'm not going to be happy . 

hello, I had my headlamp replaced just before my warranty ran out because of the intermittent warning. Same as you i had a module replaced and wiring checked etc over months and months. Ford uk authorized the new headlamp as my local dealer was reluctant to put a new one in, incase it failed again. I was told that they would honour the problem after the warranty finished if it was still there. Thankfully everything is working great since replacement.

• 2 months later...
On 10/12/2020 at 8:02 PM, shocks said:

hello, I had my headlamp replaced just before my warranty ran out because of the intermittent warning. Same as you i had a module replaced and wiring checked etc over months and months. Ford uk authorized the new headlamp as my local dealer was reluctant to put a new one in, incase it failed again. I was told that they would honour the problem after the warranty finished if it was still there. Thankfully everything is working great since replacement.

Hi

do you have just one headlamp replaced? the other will follow soon or later, if its happen like mine, it was later, yes, out of warranty, happen exactly one year after one been replaced, and now?? don't understand why, with some many cases, Ford don't get responsibility for the problem....

21 hours ago, tikoo said:

Hi

do you have just one headlamp replaced? the other will follow soon or later, if its happen like mine, it was later, yes, out of warranty, happen exactly one year after one been replaced, and now?? don't understand why, with some many cases, Ford don't get responsibility for the problem....

Hello'

yes i just had the one headlamp replaced. I asked about the other side but they wouldnt change that one. I'm hoping that it will stay ok but time will tell. Everything is still working fine since being replaced. Your right  i think that Ford should take responsibility too if the problem reoccurs. Here's hoping it doesn't.

cheers

I had mine (a single headlamp) replaced I'm guessing a couple years ago now. Went out to the car couple days ago and the dreaded message popped up. Check adaptive headlamps. Nothing I can do now it's out of warranty apart from shedding £1,000+ 😕

Out of curiosity, How much is a new adaptive headlamp without fitting?

When I had mine replaced under warranty a couple years back, I asked that question as was told the light alone is approx £1,000

• 1 month later...

FFS !!!! Its back !!!!

Had approx 30mths of trouble free headlights, but now that dreaded warning is back !

Booked in for a service in 2 weeks, so will report it then, and see what happens this time

I had the warning flash up today on my new Kuga. Cornering function of adaptive lights wasn’t working. I stopped the car, switched off, locked and unlocked the doors and started up again. It did its wibble wobble up and down thingy and all working again. Hopefully just a gremlin in my case. I had a few irritating gremlins with the Edge electronics, but no issues that needed work on them, so hopefully the Kuga will be the same. 

• 4 weeks later...

Saw post by Hamster to disconnect battery for ten minutes. I’ve had this problem for two years and recently it’s constant. Disconnected battery for ten minutes and it worked!!! Thank you Hamster!

Fixes most things. Not very good for dents though.

H

• 8 months later...

I am having this issue with my 2017 Edge Vignale.  My car is outwith the warranty period (only started happening after the warranty was up).  The warning was showing intermittently, now its every time I drive the car but only shows up part way through the journey.  Some of the roads I drive have no lighting and the car is automatically going into follow me home lighting mode (which is pretty dangerous as you can't see too far ahead of you).  Is there any other way to rectify this problem as I don't fancy paying the prices to have a new light unit installed at over a grand....!!!!!!

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, JM2079 said:

car is automatically going into follow me home lighting mode

Can you explain further ?  Are you referring to cornering lights ?

Generally the term follow me home lights (an Americanism) refers to the headlights remaining on for a period of a minute or two after you park so that you can see your way home to the front door.

• 1 year later...

I've been having this problem intermittently with my Edge since about 7,000 miles. It would always go away if you turned the ignition off and back on but the fault was getting very annoying as it was happening more frequently.

The first time I had the Ford dealer look at it during a serice they said they could not find any problem. But when I had the car MOT'd last month I asked that they check it again. This time they said they found faults recorded on the car's computer but still weren't sure exactly what the cause was.

So they booked the car in for a few days to carry out further diagnostics, found two fault codes - B14DA & B103C - and ended up replacing the LED nodule and the self levelling nodule in the n/s headlamp.

Thankfully the cost of parts and labour were covered by my extended Ford guarentee, but if not they told me the total cost would have been in the region of £400.

Touchwood, the fault hasn't happened again since the car was returned to me two weeks ago.  

• Like 1

I hate time wasters like JM2079. They post a question, people (like me) take time to reply and they don't even come back to check for answers.

3 hours ago, Pete Terry said:

Thankfully the cost of parts and labour were covered by my extended Ford guarantee, but if not they told me the total cost would have been in the region of £400.

Good that you got it sorted, and without it costing you 👍

On 10/7/2023 at 8:13 PM, unofix said:

I hate time wasters like JM2079. They post a question, people (like me) take time to reply and they don't even come back to check for answers.

Good that you got it sorted, and without it costing you 👍

Yes, annoying that, but hopefully our replies will be of use to any others who also have this intermittent "adaptive headlight fault" message, with headlamps locked on dipped beam. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I bought Mondeo Combi 2018 in July this year. I got "Check adaptive headlights" error once within first month but the headlights were working fine, even the high beams and I didn't notice anything wrong. The error didn't show up when I restarted the engine so I just ignored it. Now it started happening again, approx. every second or third time I switch on the engine and I realized that the headlights are not turning with the steering wheel (high beams still work though). The weather got colder here in the past 2 weeks so I'm thinking if it might be related, for example some condensation or something like that. One more thing I noticed when I get this error is that the grill is not closing when the engine is cold, so I'm thinking it could be some wiring issue? I'm not sure where to look though and the car is out of warranty so I really want to avoid replacing whole light unit. I will try disconnecting the battery like you guys mentioned at the beginning of this topic, and will post updates most probably tomorrow. 

I’ve never heard of a Mondeo Combi.  Now I’ve googled it, it’s an estate. Never heard of it being referred to as a combi. Are you in Oz ??  

3 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

I’ve never heard of a Mondeo Combi.  Now I’ve googled it, it’s an estate. Never heard of it being referred to as a combi. Are you in Oz ??  

Haha, I'm from Czechia, we call Estate/Wagon cars Combi or Kombi. It's the same for most countries around here.

• Like 1

Ah that makes sense now. Thanks. 

• Like 1